Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does this look better?
Tons! :D But can you try something else for me, sweetie? Make it so the two houses on the left don't have their sides right next to the cliff? I mean, as it stands, it almost looks like they gonna tumble off. The inn and the item shop look nice, by comparison, so just have a tile's width of space goin' right around each house?

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tons! :D But can you try something else for me, sweetie? Make it so the two houses on the left don't have their sides right next to the cliff? I mean, as it stands, it almost looks like they gonna tumble off. The inn and the item shop look nice, by comparison, so just have a tile's width of space goin' right around each house?
Do you mean something like this?

Map008.png

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tuomo L, yea, I feel that's better! Altho, I do like yo idea of house walls rising straight up the cliff, so to speak... but mebbe you'd have to make tweaks to the tileset to make it look natural? Sorry if I sound like I'm finicky, it's really fine as it is now! :D :D

AshleyLacure

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Haven't over the last 2 weeks that is beautiful enough to post, however, I've been creating new tilesets and mapping my butt off... end result is a schoolyard for my characters.

RV05.png

RV06.png

RV07.png

The next time you see this, it will be filled with children, teachers, and some in-game sport (court below) that everyone's obsessed with in the world... but likely is just a variation of paper, scissors, rock LMFAO.

Check my Twitter or follow me on Discord for more updates if you're interested

mephet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mephet I know your post office post is it a bit back, but I really love the look of it! I think the only thing I'd change is the benches. At least where I'm from, post offices don't usually have benches for waiting and to me it looks a bit like a train station with that in there. Maybe put a table or desk of some sort there for people to write out their mail needs? (Address envelopes and such?)

Thank you, this was a good point! I was thinking of benches for older people to sit and wait, but having so many of them is perhaps unnecessary. I tried adding some tables along the walls instead:

Map075 detail 2.png

Not 100% sure about the positioning of the tables yet, but I prefer this idea over just having benches!

I've been playing around with some special maps outside of the editor recently:

RavennaMap.png
First is a "tourist-y" map the player can purchase in the main city of the game. Purchasing the map will give a map item. Using the item will show this map and show choices for each numbered place, which offer short descriptions of the sights of the city. I thought it would be a fun way to convey a bit of worldbuilding (the city is inspired by places like Rome and Spoleto in Italy, so of course there must be travel brochures and tourist shops :p) as well as give the player an overview of the city.
(Credits go to Kenney.nl for the cartography assets: https://www.kenney.nl/assets/cartography-pack)

WorldMap.png
Second, a world map that the player can navigate with an airship. When the player gets close to places that can be entered (such as the town on the upper continent) the place is highlighted and the name of the place appears above it. I was quite nervous about making this, so even though it's still a bit rough I'm happy I managed to make a first version!

Last edited:

Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Moo, that looks awesome! I like the vibe you have going on.

So, I have a commission going on right now for a battle UI (some edits of MOG). I want to give him some constructive feedback as he worked really hard, but I'm not really sure where to start. Figured I'd ask the artists here.

UIUPDATE1.jpg

Right now what I'm noticing is FP (TP renamed) and MP are very hard to see. Overall I feel it's okay but I have no art sense. My gut's saying the colors feel off. Since I'm paying for this, I want it to look good. TIA.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So, I have a commission going on right now for a battle UI (some edits of MOG). I want to give him some constructive feedback as he worked really hard, but I'm not really sure where to start. Figured I'd ask the artists here.

Take everything with a grain of salt.

Major Problems with the UI:
Right now the UI feels haphazardly put together. Major problems I can see from the get-go:
  1. The text is unreadable
  2. The colors are too harsh.
  3. The portrait art bleeds out of the edges.
  4. Lack of unifying theme that tells anything about your game.
First tip, give yourself "guaranteed margins." Here is an example:
1612378146952.png

Now, the distance from the edge of the screen should generally be off limits. If possible, windows would be touching the edges of it, but any window or contents should generally NOT be inside this area.

However, I feel it is important to stress that while this is a rule of thumb, it is not an unbreakable law that is set in stone or anything. If there is a legitimate need to allow a window and/or it’s contents to exceed these invisible borders (especially if it was during a transition or something similar) then that takes precedence.

I guess, in general, windows should not exceed these boundaries while at rest.
Like the windows, this space would be coherent in between all the menu screens.

Reasoning: this will give the menus a feel of spaciousness instead of being claustrophobic! It allows itself a fair amount of tolerance for composition as while windows/contents would not normally exceed such boundaries, the same is not true for other visual elements. (arrow cursors pointing offscreen, inactive windows hiding away, etc)

Second Tip: Standardization of common elements.
A UI has to work as a whole and has a unifying theme and it's the job of your UI artist to mention this in the first place. Ideally you want to do the following:
  1. Determine the core visual styles of your UI. Basically you have common elements that blocks out information that gives a pattern for your players to extract information from.
  2. Have a standard font type, size and colors that helps convey important information to your player. Normally you have the header type font, standard font (mostly for dialogue and bulk of the readable information and so on.
  3. Remember, Menu and Battle UI has to be consistent to unify and give a professional look to your game. One cannot stand out without the other. Without knowing how your general main menu UIs look like, it's hard to suggest the exact issues of your battle UI.
My general suggestion is to put individual windows on the character facesets. Examples of what I mean:
1612378723953.png1612378822854.png
1612378990947.png
1612378750570.png

Last edited:

Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Take everything with a grain of salt.

Major Problems with the UI:
Right now the UI feels haphazardly put together. Major problems I can see from the get-go:
  1. The text is unreadable
  2. The colors are too harsh.
  3. The portrait art bleeds out of the edges.
  4. Lack of unifying theme that tells anything about your game.
First tip, give yourself "guaranteed margins." Here is an example:

Now, the distance from the edge of the screen should generally be off limits. If possible, windows would be touching the edges of it, but any window or contents should generally NOT be inside this area.

However, I feel it is important to stress that while this is a rule of thumb, it is not an unbreakable law that is set in stone or anything. If there is a legitimate need to allow a window and/or it’s contents to exceed these invisible borders (especially if it was during a transition or something similar) then that takes precedence.

I guess, in general, windows should not exceed these boundaries while at rest.
Like the windows, this space would be coherent in between all the menu screens.

Reasoning: this will give the menus a feel of spaciousness instead of being claustrophobic! It allows itself a fair amount of tolerance for composition as while windows/contents would not normally exceed such boundaries, the same is not true for other visual elements. (arrow cursors pointing offscreen, inactive windows hiding away, etc)

Second Tip: Standardization of common elements.
A UI has to work as a whole and has a unifying theme and it's the job of your UI artist to mention this in the first place. Ideally you want to do the following:
  1. Determine the core visual styles of your UI. Basically you have common elements that blocks out information that gives a pattern for your players to extract information from.
  2. Have a standard font type, size and colors that helps convey important information to your player. Normally you have the header type font, standard font (mostly for dialogue and bulk of the readable information and so on.
  3. Remember, Menu and Battle UI has to be consistent to unify and give a professional look to your game. One cannot stand out without the other. Without knowing how your general main menu UIs look like, it's hard to suggest the exact issues of your battle UI.
My general suggestion is to put individual windows on the character facesets. Examples of what I mean:

Thank you that’s awesome feedback. I’ll definitely look into asking for changes.

guking

ADHDD&D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
While I figure out how to take screenshots of the maps with the events on it, here is the beach town I've been working on:

Apparently the image generated by the maker when you save the map as image is too large, so here's a print of the image.

I'm aware that a few tiles look odd but in game they look fine. I have no idea they look out of order in the maker.

1612465606677.png

masterlobo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a map of the one and only kingdom in my game: The Holy Kingdom of Manahill

I like how it turned out :)

The waterfalls have water foam (through events) in-game, so they don't look "cut-off" as they do in the map shot.

Archduke

Jack of all Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I haven't posted here in ages. It's been what, six years? Lovely images, everyone :D

Mmm, those are some tasty maps. I really like your use of a few spots of flora and fauna—not overbearing at all, but not scarce either.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@masterlobo, I really like yo colour scheme, sweetie! I can't for some reason get a closer look, but I like the trees and flowers as well... The houses look all identical, and I'm not 100% I like that, but I guess it could be good... like, if the people of Manahill all live in tyranny and everybody's expected to conform to strict rules and all that? Otherwise nice work! I'm really hot on yo game's graphical style on the whole! :biggrin:

@guking, that beach fort looks really nice! Like from a pirate adventure, yeah? Yo beach town looks clean and nice, too, just the place for a stroll! The pier looks maybe a bit tacked-on, tho? Would it look better if it started earlier, d'you think? Like right by those palms?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You know you've been working on RPGMaker for a while when you go to move your projects to a 16 GB USB drive and get told not enough space to do this operation.
The latest post on TheDazzlingsAreBack...
besides itch and occasionally here where are people doing game jams at y'all? (plz do not cross reference this with my previous status lol)
Go out all day!
★No work★
Just want to sleep when I get home Zzzzz
just went through 50 issues of Fables, only to left kind of disappointed by it, I guess I have to wait for season 2 of TWAU instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiltonvaderBR