AshleyLacure

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
MBN8yA4.png

Port town.

It's a sort of symbolic recreation of one of the first maps I ever made, using RMXP RTP, hence the diagonal paving and the sea wall. Sadly I don't have that map to hand.

@AshleyLacure that looks incredible!

It's amazing how are you turning something so nostalgic (RPG Maker 2003 RTP) into something very beautiful and unique, and something very original :)

Bonus: Dope mapping skills!
Thank you both for the encouragement, really happy with the way the games turning out.

@Ellie Jane - Gorgeous port map, love the entire composition.

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey all. I've been working on a new battle window that can be accessed during any actor's command input. It's used to display the actor's parameters and passive abilities, to make them easy to review during the actor's turn. I thought I'd post this here as a means of taking a break from tweaking it, though it's very much a work in progress. The icons are placeholders because I struggle with icons a bit.

I plan on adding a different, more streamlined window to display status effects and their descriptions, so that's why status effects aren't shown in this window.

UnitInfoScreen.png

Editing this with a quick video to show it in action:

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, here you go guys, mod here with no idea of the best place to post this, haha! (So don't feel bad if you're ever uncertain where to post.)

I'm trying to decide on icon style and thought I'd get some opinions on it. For some background, here are some screenshots from the game to get an idea of style:

The title screen shows the character art from the graphics pack I'm using.
Title Screen.png

This map is a sample of the style of the tiles.
Tiles.png

I found this backpack and desaturated a bit, felt it went well with the character art.

inventoryBackground.png

My dilemma is that I downloaded some other items from the same artist as the backpack to try out for icons. I think the coloring could stand to be desaturated as well. But, I could use these and go with an icon style to more match the character art. The problem here is being limited in what I could use for items. The benefit is less time spent making icons myself.

Icon2.png

Or, I could go with icons I make myself more in the style of the tileset. Benefit is not needing to purchase more graphics, as well as I am not limited to what is available in this style. Problem is, more time spent making icons myself.

So, I'm curious what you all think about which way to go. (Also note, I'll probably pick a different shade of blue for the background, I just haven't found one that I like yet.)
Icon1.png

edit: Completely forgot to credit the character/tile work. It is from the set Downtown Dungeon Starter Kit by MalibuDarby.

Last edited:

Stapleton

Underground
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gaeilge
Primarily Uses
N/A
I always found being limited in a style bad and good in some ways.

If you are limited on the icons you have then you can build your world around that and it takes a lot of thinking out of game making.
Not to mention the time saved.

If the limitation is too great then it will only cost more time down the road when you try matching the style for more icons or completely replacing them with your own anyway.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mlogan, I'd prob make the icons myself, but that's me, I love making stuff and I don't ever consider it time wasted, even if I end up not using the graphics in my game. Sooo... yeah. Oh, love your overall style, btw! :biggrin:

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So, I'm curious what you all think about which way to go.

Tough call. My immediate preference would be the pixel icons you created, and I also think they'd be the way to go in terms of matching the tiles. (BTW, I love the shade of blue used for the menu and booths in the tiles. I would start there re: a different shade of blue for the icons).

In terms of the other style, I scaled the ones you attached down to 32px in Photoshop. They reproduced well enough, but the bow didn't reproduce well due to being too thin. But, you could always get creative and crop the bow which would allow you to not shrink it so much.

There's also something to be said for taking some help from the premade art and getting a head start on the rest of your project. Icons can especially be a chore, and these don't have to be your forever icons. They can just be your right now icons while you focus on other aspects of your project.

TLDR: I would probably choose the pixel style in the long-term, but there's nothing wrong with using the premade art as an inbetween until you find the time or motivation to go down the icon creation rabbit hole.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First off, I feel terrible for forgetting to credit the art - the character art and tiles are from MalibuDarby's Downtown Dungeon Starter Kit pack. (I've edited/added a lot of things myself though, so not all of what you see in the diner is in the pack.) But I love the style of this pack!

@Stapleton I totally get that about limitations. Sometimes setting limitations can really make you think outside the box.

@alice_gristle I don't really consider it time wasted either, just more of it will be needed, lol. Also, thanks for making me realize I needed to add art credits!

@Kenen The premade graphic icons are already at 32 pixels, I just had it zoomed in when I took a screenshot. But yeah, the skinny bow is only one issue of resizing the graphics. Also, I'll definitely try out that shade of blue.

I think y'all have convinced me about moving forward with making the pixel style ones. I'd rather be able to add to them as I decide on new weapons/puzzle items/etc rather than forgo things just because of a lack of icon for it. Thanks for all the input!

masterlobo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all. I've been working on a new battle window that can be accessed during any actor's command input. It's used to display the actor's parameters and passive abilities, to make them easy to review during the actor's turn. I thought I'd post this here as a means of taking a break from tweaking it, though it's very much a work in progress. The icons are placeholders because I struggle with icons a bit.

I plan on adding a different, more streamlined window to display status effects and their descriptions, so that's why status effects aren't shown in this window.

View attachment 180228

Editing this with a quick video to show it in action:

Damn, that UI looks clean AF. Great job!

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hey I want to know if I can use these graphics together (none of this is my work as of yet but I'll be editing it; credits embedded in image)

thingy.png

I don't mean the styles, though, that's at least somewhat subjective*: I mean the pixel resolution which isn't. years ago I was (rightly) shamed for including two pixel resolutions in the same screenshot, objects/sprites that were 2x2 on the same map as objects 1x1; this is something I've been pretty paranoid about ever since because I literally could not perceive the difference until it was pointed out by outside criticism orz
Okay, here you go guys, mod here with no idea of the best place to post this, haha! (So don't feel bad if you're ever uncertain where to post.)
this seemed the least inappropriate place and I didn't want to start a thread just for this so thank you for saying that, I had been dithering over where to place this

* its an atmospheric horror game so everything is going to be under layers of lighting, fog, and weather effects 88% of the time anyway

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheGentlemanLoser personally I feel POP! and RTP tiles do indeed clash from a resolution perspective.
appreciate that but like...either they're both 1x1 or both 2x2 or 4x4 or w/e (pretty sure neither one is 4x4), like right? like it's not a feeling thing, it's a thing people with better eyes than me can objectively see (and which I'm definitely worrying about too much but eh)

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheGentlemanLoser, it looks like those VEXEDENIGMA tiles are, uhh, 32x32 pixels or so, while whtdragon's are maybe 64x64? Buuut, you can take a tile from both and put them in GIMP or wherever and check how many pixels it is? And yeah, personally I go nuts if I see different resolution tiles gettin' mixed. :biggrin: :biggrin:

@Lee Sang, looks pretty sweet, honey! :biggrin: I like yo character design, makes it look like somethin' outta Swedish children's books!

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lee Sang lovely atmosphere! Love the tree shades and contrast with the red leaves.

Tarzanthecat

(Meow)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
halloween_test_img.png
I just made this image for my game, a flashback that the main character has of a costume party. I don't know if I should use it or not however, mostly because of quality control.

If you would be so kind, please tell me if I should keep it... or delete it.

orochi2k

The Mad King of Neolithic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Keep it for there are many people like me who can't even make such fine artwork.
It's your work and your style, the only one that can say no to your work is yourself.
Such is my philosophy.:wink:

Last edited:

Tarzanthecat

(Meow)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Keep it for there are many people like me who can't even make such fine artwork.
It's your work and your style, the only one that can say no to your work is yourself.
Such is my philosophy.:wink:
Yeah, I just get really worried about that kind of stuff when I see all the talented people on here.

JustADood

Chonky Boi
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think you should keep it because nobodys style is the "proper" way to draw, its unique to the person so you should probably keep it

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

making my first game is like trying to stuff all my experience with old games into one
so its slow and painful when i dont get it right... i bet the next game is gonna be finished earlier!
When you don't find any time to work... :kaocry:
First Ten Minutes of my Caretaker inspired game

Finally, I got a good Gmail message [from smg5urded]
"This game does look a bit plain, but, I'm sure this does not destroy the experience as a whole. Monsters fit your style of game-play, mapping looks crude but I'm sure you can make it better if you do a remake of Forgotten Eclipse"
Going to start a new project today. OMG, it will be on RPGMaker MV. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pirata12