Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@xoferew So like this?
map.png
I'm not really sure which one looks better. Without the border, the roof of the trees just looks very monolithic.

MadRamDesigns

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the idea of breaking up the continuous flat top of the trees, but rather than the black border, why not just have another step/level of rounded tree tops?

mishakoc

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MadRamDesigns Wow, that's a pretty genius idea, thank you! I don't think I'd ever thought up something like this.

mapa.png
I'll try to edit the tileset a bit so the upper layers cast some kind of shadow to give a bit more depth to it. But it looks much better than my other two attempts, I think.

xoferew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, I like the extra layers of treetops! As my preschoolers say while sticking out their hands and feet, "Four thumbs up!"

mishakoc

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried to add some sort of shading to the upper layers, not finished yet but here we go anyway. I'm no pixel artist, but I think it looks pretty alright and adds some kind of depth. What do you think?

test.png

JayStG

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I like the idea of breaking up the continuous flat top of the trees, but rather than the black border, why not just have another step/level of rounded tree tops?

Alteratively, you could break up the larger sections of trees with unreachable clearings inside them.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That link is giving a 404 error.

Choraß

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Could you upload it somewhere else?
I can't watch it. :eswt:

Choraß

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Alright.
So the grow over from plants is a good idea already. I would add some dirt around the ground and more small traces of the past and give it a darker look.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there any dirt/ grunge tiles in any sets I can buy, or any free sets to use to grunge this up more? and how would I give it a darker look? Gimp?

Last edited:

MadRamDesigns

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know about existing tiles, but yes you can use gimp.
Use layers and brush effects with burn, overlay, multiply; and leaf brushes and/or textures.
Try looking in the resource section of places like deviantart, there should be some free to use brushes you can use to mimic the wear and tear.
When you can draw inspiration from real world references. There are entire sites dedicated to exploring abandoned structures and overgrown buildings that should give you some ideas.
Add grit along the open surfaces, particularly in corners and along cracks, where dirt would settle and stuff would grow. if plants are growing they tend to drop leaves which form mulch, panels get pushed out by expanding roots, glass is almost ever clean with dust and pollen, plastics may discolor, etc.

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Happy Wednesday y'all. Posting a screenshot with some updated assets. Tackling the pavement will be coming soon. I'm starting to gather a fair amount of assets for general map clutter, but I need to break up the green pavement next and give it some character. Now the solid green is just in your face. Still not much for shading yet either. Hope everybody has a good Wednesday.
K1he31d.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sadly I am not good with Gimp. I wish we had some dust and dirt stamps to use on the tiles in the game.

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That moment when things actually look like they are coming together. I have posted this building before, but the screenshot was the asset within Pyxel Edit. This screenshot is in the MV editor and everything now tiles appropriately and has some level of shading.

qcDk7dM.png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Light up explosions with QABS and Community Lighting.
qcPQHt9.gif
Doing RPG Maker News #18 | Moghunter is Back, Encrypt MV/MZ Plugins, Isometric Geometric Tiles
Unironically, no joke, after consideration and self-reflection, I have decided that the best thing for my creative/workflow/commitment problems is to spend EVEN MOAR hours a day playing videogames than I normally do. (Micro-thread)
FINALLY got my weather system implemented. Who needs a black mage when you have a weathermancer! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CursedBlackWolf