Eniko Ghosts of Grace Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Screenshot-2021-04-18-at-19-32-48.png

Rest your weary legs in the Dancing Fox Inn!

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@gRaViJa I kinda like the 3D environments with 2D sprites, reminds me of Breath of Fire IV. The 3D stairs have given me some serious nostalgia; really looks like something from the PS1. lol.

I like it.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Prescott Thanks for the feedback. I didn't intend the for cliffs to be that high, though. Maybe it'd make more sense if I increase the bottom cliff by 1 more tile?

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@slimmmeiske2 thanks! The extra potted plant = yes im adding one right now! As for the single bed, that's gonna Stay cause its kinda tied into the character. As for the Bath, i agree but i couldnt find a decent tub that would fit the periode/aesthetic :(
The living room is a bit empty agree, tho ill need some room for cutscenes ill see what i can do about it.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Ninjypuppy

That one guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Got around to mapping again after months of not doing it. Thinking of moving the green mountain range down a tile or two to help with the open space a bit. World Hub map btw.Map002.png

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Finnuval Looks amazing! The only thing that stands out to me as odd is rows of the trees in front, for some reason. They look good, but something is off to me, maybe it's because they're all the same size?

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I
@Finnuval Looks amazing! The only thing that stands out to me as odd is rows of the trees in front, for some reason. They look good, but something is off to me, maybe it's because they're all the same size?
Think its the way they disappears behind the hedge - not sure hoe to fix that tho :/

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Prescott Thanks for the feedback. I didn't intend the for cliffs to be that high, though. Maybe it'd make more sense if I increase the bottom cliff by 1 more tile?
That could certainly help! You don't have to make the initial cliffs that high either, you could decrease the elevation altogether or even add little pieces coming off of it to make it seem less like a sudden steep wall jutting out of the ground.

I'm trying to make a mountain area. How does this look?
Not too shabby! You've got good clutter placement. What are the dark parts supposed to represent, in your mind, out of curiosity? I find that sometimes people just put those down without really knowing what they are there for. To me it looks like sections of the dirt where people or creatures have dug in just below the surface, so it's a little darker. Usually that would mean it is a bit wetter though, in which case the trees being dead would be curious. Your map design should not just look cool but serve a purpose as to showing the players what the region is like and the history of what happened in that location, so that's just something to keep in mind :)
A nice little trick to help things look a bit more natural is to place the top tile of the trees right up against the top of those clifftops (the mountain floor tile), and basically allude to the bottom part of the tree being underneath it. The perspective of RPG Maker graphics is not entirely top-down, it's at an angle, so there is technically one more space that someone could walk underneath that cliff tile, even if the player can't. Keeping that in mind can help increase the believability of your maps quite a lot, even indoor ones!

Got around to mapping again after months of not doing it. Thinking of moving the green mountain range down a tile or two to help with the open space a bit. World Hub map btw.View attachment 187142
That would definitely help a lot, but I think a better option might be to just make the map itself smaller. If you've got a lot of unused space it is better to condense things for the players' sake. If you've got a specific scale in mind of the distances between these things, it can be better to stick to that, but you might need to add a couple more points of interest in between, perhaps a small market/outpost. Without knowing exactly how large your world is when it is to-scale it is hard to recommend changes, but there are a few ideas to help you out :)
I will note that it looks strange where the grass goes into sand and then to rock. You might be able to fix that by putting the default grass tile underneath that grass overlay autotile but I'm not super sure as I don't have RPG Maker on-hand at the moment.
The shoreline also has that dark line around it, which is because, unfortunately, that type of water only works with the darker sand color. I'd just swap it out to make it look a bit more natural :) That might help the grass to stone transition as well, since it might look a bit more like rough dirt with the contrasting colors up there, but it'll look like sand nearby the water.
The top of the overworld has a straight line of mountains and I would suggest changing that up a little bit. The overall flow of everything else on your map and how natural it looks is pretty good but that super straight line of mountains looks very out of place, so maybe making some variation in the Y axis could help.
This one is more personal preference, but I would extend the lava down below the volcano tile. The bottom of the volcano will still be stuck to solid land and it will make it look like the lava just curves around the back side of it instead of there being a big square behind it.

@Prescott - That's an impressive looking mountain range, I bet that took quite a bit of time! My one critique would be that it does look a bit homogenous. Without some form of a unique landmarks, it might be a bit easy for the player to get a lost. Take that with a grain of salt though; your pathways flow nicely, so it might feel easier to navigate while playing. I imagine whatever is hidden beneath the sensors can also help the player find their bearings, assuming these are some kind of unique locations.
That is a great thought. The water and flag in the bottom right map will serve as waypoints, and the censored areas will serve the same purpose in the next two. Going right from that bottom map will see a couple dungeon entrances as well as a unique land feature. That honestly happened by mistake though, as have a lot of great things while making this game, and a few more mountain maps I'll be making in the future have no such markers so I'll be sure to include things like that!
There is one main path and a bunch of short paths that will likely have some enemies roaming them in order to get to treasure, but they aren't ever so convoluted that it will be hard to find the way back to the main path. That's my goal, at least!

Last edited:

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Prescott thank you for the feedback! Honestly, the dark parts were mostly a result of no A2 tile looking like it fit right in the area, so I figured this kind of austere landscape would have some thicker dirt or whatever. I don't know if there's a way to edit something so that it would look like there's a kind of path, which would be dirt...even though the rest of the place is also dirt...

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wanted to share the current map of the first town and get some feedback!
Note that i plan to change the assest to a 16x16 style so things will look different graphics wise, i'm more just focused on the map itself.
Here is the lower half of the map. (ignore cutscene purgatory)
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 6.56.07 AM.png

And here is the upper half of the map:
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 6.59.04 AM.png
Any tips? Plan to add lighting once assets are finished?

Also how are these house interiors? do the stairs look ok?Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 7.00.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 7.00.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 6.59.45 AM.png

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It looks nice but this part marked in red seems unnecessary. Why are the walls zigzag-y like that? And the walls look too short. I think two tiles high would look better. Apart from that I think the rest looks good.
1619441535237.png

Tw0Face

Master Strategist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Some new screenies from my project. Quick Game mode is ready and features 8 different enemies with their own background an music theme. Highscore list and main menu is also implemented. I'll make the story mode later on. I could think of a small demo in the near future to let you guys test out the Quick Game mode at least.

HarpyLadyLydScreen01.png
HarpyLadyLydScreen02.png
HarpyLadyLydScreen03.png

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some new screenies from my project. Quick Game mode is ready and features 8 different enemies with their own background an music theme. Highscore list and main menu is also implemented. I'll make the story mode later on. I could think of a small demo in the near future to let you guys test out the Quick Game mode at least.

View attachment 187924
View attachment 187925
View attachment 187926
Nice Tetris!

Though I think it had some kinda copyright issue with it, you'll have to look into it with more depth. Considered it for my project and ran into some copyright ambiguity and just scraped it all together.

Tw0Face

Master Strategist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nice Tetris!

Though I think it had some kinda copyright issue with it, you'll have to look into it with more depth. Considered it for my project and ran into some copyright ambiguity and just scraped it all together.
Thanks a lot. :LZSjoy:

I'd be surprised if you could copyright gameplay, though. If it were, Final Fantasy could have its whole turn-based battle system copyrighted, which would make RPG Maker illegal.

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks a lot. :LZSjoy:

I'd be surprised if you could copyright gameplay, though. If it were, Final Fantasy could have its whole turn-based battle system copyrighted, which would make RPG Maker illegal.

It's a complex topic and the article is 9 years old. The game also is really similar too.

I agree with how if mechanics were copyright blocked, lots of games would be illegal.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wanted to share the current map of the first town and get some feedback!
Note that i plan to change the assest to a 16x16 style so things will look different graphics wise, i'm more just focused on the map itself.
Here is the lower half of the map. (ignore cutscene purgatory)
View attachment 187547

And here is the upper half of the map:
View attachment 187548
Any tips? Plan to add lighting once assets are finished?

Also how are these house interiors? do the stairs look ok?View attachment 187549
View attachment 187550
View attachment 187551

I've got a lot of constructive feedback for you to help improve your mapping :)

First map:
  • The stairs going down into the town are 1 tile to long. The cliff walls are two tiles, right? Therefore, the stairs should be two tiles.
  • The buildings almost look flat. They have no depth to them. Consider expanding the roofs out another tile back to add some depth to them depending on how big of a building they are, go 1-3 tiles extra.
  • The waterfront on the left and bottom of the map are extremely straight, I would loosen it up a bit to give a more natural feel (unless of course it is more man-made).
  • The stone building on the bottom right has a weird wall thing going on. It might just be a matter of preference but I think it would look better if it was one continuous wall with a door on top. You should be able to get this effect by either shift-clicking the black tile on top of the wall if it isn't working automatically (or putting it on a different layer depending on the engine you're using).
  • I generally like the layout of it, it looks very pretty.
Second map:
  • The biggest criticism here I have are the stairs, again. Make sure they are the right height compared to the walls they climb.
  • The autoshadows on the left of that middle staircase look a little weird, too. The stairs would be pretty much at the same height as the wall, so it shouldn't be casting a shadow on it (well, a very minor one but not easily replicated in the engine itself).
  • You also have a problem with the walls, again. Going over them once more should get rid of those random wall edge pieces and make it look more cohesive. Look at a real corner of a wall and you'll see why that looks a bit funky.
  • Other than that though, this looks just fine. I'm a little curious as to why there are two random pots on the left and right of that path and I assume it is to prevent the player from leaving that map? They can sneak behind the trees below the pots, too. There is no harm in just making the player turn around if you don't want them to go somewhere instead of placing a strange object in their way.
Third map:
  • This is where you could improve a lot. I see a lot of people using only one tile for the walls in their interiors but it really doesn't make sense when you put it into perspective. Your character is one tile tall. If the walls are one tile tall, that would mean they are scraping their head against the ceiling. It also makes the perspective a little weird for things like the bookcase and the oven, since they are objects that are two tiles high and technically could not exist in that house unless there was a hole in the roof.
  • Your stairs are at the right height here if you changed the wall to two tiles high. If you think about the way a normal house works, the second story is essentially the ceiling of the first story, so stairs that lead up exactly to it mean there isn't a bunch of empty space (around 6 feet, judging by the character sprite) in between the two floors.
  • A lot of people do their stairs differently. I prefer mine to go above the ceiling tile and show a bit of the next floor, and it helps me figure out the space better as well. The way you're doing it is perfectly fine though and I'd say that's the way most people do it. I also find that putting at least one tile of wall next to stairs can really help show the height to help with the perspective better, but here it looks alright!
  • People also do their ceilings differently, some don't use them at all and just opt for black, some like to fill the entire rest of the map with the ceiling tile. The way I do it is I wrap the ceiling tile around the entire map and then leave the rest black, with enough space around the outsides so that the player is always in the center of the map. It seems like you're kind of stuck between worlds and so it makes the ceiling look a bit awkward. It isn't a huge deal though.
  • Like someone else pointed out, very few houses have diagonal walls like this one does. To be conservative, you could just take the wall on the top right and move it down a tile, to make that wall two tiles long. I think that would look nice.
  • The last thing I would suggest changing on this map is moving the bed down one tile. When it is up by the wall like that it gives the appearance that it is literally part of the wall. Unfortunately, the default bed tile doesn't go right up against the wall and will have to go below it, but it looks way better that way than it does being inside the wall from the perspective that RPG Maker is in.
Fourth map:

Here, you have the bed in the correct place and the walls are all two tiles high. This map is really solid looking to be honest and there isn't really anything I could critique off the top of my head. I like how there is a stool right next to the closet. It makes me think of someone sitting down as they pull their clothes on or off.

Fifth map:
  • Again, the walls are short. The bed's in the right place, though!
  • The suit of armor is meant to be a stand, not a hanger, so it should go on the ground instead of on the wall.
  • The juxtaposition of the incredibly fancy bed and rug and the fact that this room looks pretty drab, not having a window or nice flooring, is a little weird. It looks to me like it might be some sort of royal guard's chambers, but maybe either sprucing it up just a little bit or taking down the fanciness just a notch would suit it a bit more. Of course I don't know your story/lore so this is just a suggestion.

It's a complex topic and the article is 9 years old. The game also is really similar too.

I agree with how if mechanics were copyright blocked, lots of games would be illegal.

Off topic, but it seems pretty clear that the only things copyrightable by Tetris from that article and the copyright case are the block shapes and the grid size, neither of which @Tw0Face is using.

In this case, the judge seems to have erred on the side of defining the rules broadly. She described the unprotectable rules as:

“A puzzle game where a user manipulates pieces composed of square blocks, each made into a different geometric shapes, that fall from the top of the game board to the bottom where pieces accumulate. The user is given a new piece after the current one reaches the bottom of the available game space. While a piece is falling, the user rotates it in order to fit it in with the accumulated pieces. That object of the puzzle is to fill all spaces along a horizontal line. If that is accomplished, the line is erased, points are earned, and more of the game board is available for play. But if the pieces accumulate and reach the top of the screen, then the game is over.”

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Another headache with mapping. XO Was trying out some of Pandamaru's cliff tiles. More complicated than I thought. Not sure if I used them properly. XP

Untitled2ss.png

Ah, yeah. I should put some cliff tiles on the top left of the right picture.

@LittenDev For your second map, something about those top tiles bother me... I just can't put my finger on them. They just look... odd.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Bengawan Solo with fantasy style arrangement. :D
So I just got my computer back (Was posting stuff on my phone) But now my dang monitor's broken! I'll need to get a new one, which means... JOBS! Yaaay... When I get a new monitor, I'll post picture of one of my RPGMMV projects.
Wish me luck... :kaodes:
Had to clean up disk space because Windows Updates was having my primaries' disk space for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I guess the clean up thingy doesn't work or something because there were 15gigs of old update files in it.
Monday morning, and the sudden message: Hey, can you set up a full second lesson about pixel art till tomorrow?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sternenprinzessin