English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

ephesus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
While the main point of view in "This Life is a Dream" is not isometric I was messing around with the possibility (UltraMode7) and thought it looked really cool. I figured I'd take a nice pic before undoing the settings. After seeing how good it looks, however, I will most likely need to re-visit the concept for at least one "dream" in the game! I'll post pics of this same area later, when it's finished being populated, in its proper non-isometric view (as well as some new Iso pics, why not?) if anyone wants to see the comparison. (Maybe I'll just do a full POV comparisons demo? Might not be the best example map though. :p)
-K
TLiaD_isodemo01 (800x450).png
TLiaD_isodemo01 (1920x1080).png

Last edited:

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Too many trees?

Untitled.jpg

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mr. Detective

Depends on how big your games resolution is. If the player can see big chunks of trees while walking around on the map, you might wanna break it up a little. Add little clearings, or differently coloured trees.
Screen Shot 3954.PNG

Also, you might wanna stick to one source for you trees. At least per map. The clumped together (MACK?) trees don't really match well with the big RTP edit tree and the (i think) Pandamaru trees.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Mr. Detective The clumped trees will probably be fine from the player's perspective depending on resolution and aspect ratio, if anything I'd say there's too many stumps 90% of the terrain detail on your map are stumps there and they're very close together for some reason. It's like someone went down the road and randomly decided to cut down a tree, just one, every few steps. Since you're mostly using RTP there, adding some of the dirt detail and some bushes would probably make it look better.

If you do want to break up the tree clumps, you could always put visible but inaccessible tiny clearings in the clumps where you can have butterflies and rabbits wandering about for window dressing. Don't think that's particularly necessary because it doesn't look like the type of map a player would stay for long, more of a transition.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is how it looks like in game. Resolution is 1280x720.
Untitled.jpg

The tree stumps were supposed to show that people have been cutting down trees that grow outside the walking path. Guess that didn't communicate very well. XD The area on the right is a secret path that leads to the treasure chest. Unfortunately, it's too obvious and I'll have to try to hide it better. =w=

That's a good way to break up the trees, though. I'll try that.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Mr. Detective Hmm, yeah, with 16: 9 the trees do look a little much without anything to break it up. Not really the end of the world if it's just an in-between map, though.

For the stumps, do you mean it's to show that they're trying to keep the path clear? If so a little more space between the road and the trees might make the stumps look less random, as it stands the places where they decide to cut down a tree or leave a tree seems arbitrary, and it's not as though those trees grew over night.

I'd logic it out as: if someone is trying to keep the trees away from the road, they'd make sure that there's no trees within at least 1-2 'tile(s)' from the road, and this in turn would allow you to break up the stumps up a bit.

As for the side path, you could probably manage to make it a bit more hidden by widening the map and using trees the player would have to walk behind to hide the route, with a couple of small clearings as sign posts.

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'd like some advice on my first town. I'm a novice at game-making and the map looks off to me, but I don't know how to make it better...
Credits to FSM Town of Beginnings and I copied two buildings from the sample map because I really liked them.
Map248.png

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ShiningPhoibe Personally, I'd mix things up a bit, make the ground look a lil' more interesting and natural looking by adding patches of longer grass, perhaps dirt or mud. Grass, unless it's someone's prize winning lawn, is never perfect and uniform. Maybe throw in a couple of more large plants such as flowers of tiny bushes.

I'd also connect the buildings across the river, as well as that warehouse\storage area to the road. Even if no stone road is built, people would create natural dirt paths by simply walking along the shortest route, there would be no grass where people walked the most.

Other than that, you could perhaps hide the edge of the map with trees, cliffs, decorative buildings (things the player can't enter) or walls, just so the player doesn't think they can leave the town from any map edge; unless they can do that, of course.

Good work on the two larger buildings north of the river, they look pretty good. It's also nice that you've tried to make all of the buildings a decent size rather than those super skinny things you so often see in RPG Maker games. I like it!

Last edited:

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ShiningPhoibe Personally, I'd mix things up a bit, make the ground look a lil' more interesting and natural looking by adding patches of longer grass, perhaps dirt or mud. Grass, unless it's someone's prize winning lawn, is never perfect and uniform. Maybe throw in a couple of more large plants such as flowers of tiny bushes.

I'd also connect the buildings across the river, as well as that warehouse\storage area to the road. Even if no stone road is built, people would create natural dirt paths by simply walking along the shortest route, there would be no grass where people walked the most.

Other than that, you could perhaps hide the edge of the map with trees, cliffs, decorative buildings (things the player can't enter) or walls, just so the player doesn't think they can leave the town from any map edge; unless they can do that, of course.

Good work on the two larger buildings north of the river, they look pretty good. It's also nice that you've tried to make all of the buildings a decent size rather than those super skinny things you so often see in RPG Maker games. I like it!
Thanks for the advice!

Bandito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
Any critique would be welcome.

Map053.png

This is how it looks in-game. The purpose of the video was to show how the route to the end of the level was pretty straightforward but you went out of your way you could find treasure.

The music changes when in the forest (the part that turns darker), but I forgot to edit it when I made the video because for some reason the software I used to record what's on the desktop doesn't record music running on the background, so I have to edit it.

There's also animals and enemies that make the map look more lively, but the screenshot doesn't show it.

Last edited:

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ShiningPhoibe
It's very big, very empty, very flat.
I'd shove everything together a bit. Get some different elevation.
And also cover the edges up, cause I hate when you go to the edge and then don't transfer to a different map.
Also make the path smaller, and take it to every house. Cause as it is you have a huge road, like you'd find in a big city or a highway, and then just grass. Like there should be dirt paths at least, where people walk every day.
Also imo it looks a bit weird that all the bottom houses are the same size.

So I remade and edited your map... I may have gone a taaaaad bit overboard... Especially with the trees lol. It's been a while since I made a map with FSM and I got really into it. Completely different feel to your map but, well... I'm not really sure what settig you were going for. And I have like 2% skill in mapping like, grassy plains. So woodsy mountain/hill village is what ended up happening!
ShiningPhoibeMap3.pngI removed one of the houses cause... I dunno It looked better. And it didn't have a door so I assumed it was just decoration.
Also 50% size cause I didn't feel like logging into imgur and the image was to big to just upload into the message directly.

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ShiningPhoibe
It's very big, very empty, very flat.
I'd shove everything together a bit. Get some different elevation.
And also cover the edges up, cause I hate when you go to the edge and then don't transfer to a different map.
Also make the path smaller, and take it to every house. Cause as it is you have a huge road, like you'd find in a big city or a highway, and then just grass. Like there should be dirt paths at least, where people walk every day.
Also imo it looks a bit weird that all the bottom houses are the same size.

So I remade and edited your map... I may have gone a taaaaad bit overboard... Especially with the trees lol. It's been a while since I made a map with FSM and I got really into it. Completely different feel to your map but, well... I'm not really sure what settig you were going for. And I have like 2% skill in mapping like, grassy plains. So woodsy mountain/hill village is what ended up happening!
View attachment 188731I removed one of the houses cause... I dunno It looked better. And it didn't have a door so I assumed it was just decoration.
Also 50% size cause I didn't feel like logging into imgur and the image was to big to just upload into the message directly.
Thanks! You didn't have to do that, I really appreciate the time and effort it took. It looks so much better, I'll definitely do something similar in my game.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I just finished the overall layout of the map. Gonna do something about those cliffs (more trees and plant decorations) and trees (break them up, leave some empty spaces) later. Probably a road sign somewhere. But this is how it's gonna look like for the most part. Uh... I think I'll remove those cliffs at the bottom, since I plan to have the players walk down a set of stairs on the next map. Or... I can put another cliff on the right as well.

Untitled3.png

@Bandito I think I might get lost for a bit if I have to walk around that map. Which direction is the player supposed to be heading for? Top? Left? Right? Where are the transition events going to be? Also, on the left, one of the trees is cut off.

Bandito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
@Mr. Detective As long you are following the road made by dirt tiles you should quickly find the next map. I didn’t connect the tiles so it looked more natural but now that I think about it I will do so, so that the player doesn’t get lost, so it should look more like a road.

The transition happen where there two trees with the dirt tiles in the middle. I didn’t to go to the next map because I wanted to get a review of this only this map, as it is the one where the player starts controlling the playable character.

Thanks for the review.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Mr. Detective I just looked at your map and I would recommend adding more plant life, like grass tiles, flowers, mushrooms etc. That would add variety to the forest path.

=================
Edit: New screenshot made on recommendations

Map053.png

Last edited:

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Farm map.pngA farm map this time, courtesy of Kokoro Reflection's Seasons of Harvest Farm Tileset. The ponies in the bottom enclosure didn't print when I first saved the image in the editor, so here's a screenshot instead.
I made sure not to put trees all over the place, as I wanted some open spaces. I have other fields and farm maps, but this one is the one I like the most (though of course there's room for improvement).

Last edited:

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ImaginaryVillain That is stunningly beautiful. It'd be a shame to only pass through once. Seems like a good place for cutscenes, on the bridge or something. Or you could have a "behind the waterfall" treasure.

@ShiningPhoibe Looks good. A few suggestions, though.

First, the animal pen. It seems pretty barren. One thing that helps with making maps is to consider the function of the area you're making, since adding those things will give your players more things to look at.

With this in mind, there are a few things you can add to the animal pen when you think about what the horses need. They'll need water basins or troughs to drink from. Having long grass or hay around would also make perfect sense.

Second this spot over here:
1620666512510.png

It sorta stands out as being too empty. Considering it's a farm and there's a field nearby, I have a few possible suggestions:
You could put a pond there. The crops will need water anyway, there's no well around or anything, so having a source of water would make sense, and it'd be a good way to break up the large amount of grass in the area.
You could also put a path there that leads to the edge of the map. You don't have to make a map on the other end, necessarily, but it could give the farm a sense that it's bigger than what you see as a player.

edit:
@Mr. Detective Looks a lot better. Sometimes simple is good for that type of map. On the hidden path thing, I was thinking you could do something more like:
1620667907434.png
(Red line is the passable area under the trees.)
Which would hide the fact that there's a route much better than a straight line

Last edited:

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ShiningPhoibe Looks nice but personally I would move a few things aorund and add a thing or two ;

Farm map.png

1 = a stable
2 = the animal pen
3 = a well

Just to give it a bit of a more natural/realistic feel and some visual interest.

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for the advice! I don't really have much in the way of wells or water basins in the tileset I used, but I'll try to figure something out.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Well. Looks like I need to redo the entire battle system in order to have the things I want in it. Also I'd like to say that console.log() is the greatest function in Javascript XD.
I have made 60 new skills! ''after test'' I have made 3 new skills!

Made a new battleback this week! How's it look?
"This is the real secret to life - To be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdfd