Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ShiningPhoibe Dunno if it'll help, but here's a farm I've been working on (mostly just RTP on this map):
1620674438790.png
1620674513851.png

Also wouldn't mind some pointers on it.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Htlaets looks pretty good but here some things I would personally do differently :

1620674513851.png

- I would move the farmhouse itself to the back and move that field up. Farms usually use all the land around them not just at the back of them as they grow in size.

- one of the roads (red) doesnt make sense to me as time efficeny would lead to the farmer making a path (green) more likely

- What's with all the boxes? If you need that many to gather produce a small barn would make more sense...

other then that it does feel lpretty much like a farm so kudos for that :)

Thunderclan

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Working on my first town map and while I think I have done some good improvements already (the first picture being my original and the second being as it now stands) but can't hurt to see if the more experienced folks have any tips or advice to offer a newbie :)

In particular if there is a better ground tile I could use here. Really hate how deserty the place looks since it is intended to be a mountain (but not snowy) town that produces most of the ore used by this kingdom.

Attachments

• Map001.png
    Map001.png
    325.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Map002.png
    Map002.png
    387.9 KB · Views: 11

Solovei

Has approximate knowledge of many things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finally got this convenience store more or less how I want it! This is 100% RTP, with a couple of minor edits and recolors here and there. I might spend some time doing more extensive edits on the shelves later, but I think it will do for now. Feedback appreciated!

1620689730745.png

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think the generic critique for many (but not all) of the maps here is that everything is so orderly. Sure if someone builds a house or plants a field of crops, that's going to be pretty orderly... Except no field is ever perfect, like that rock or stump in the fields that was too much trouble to take out. Or that inconvenient hill that forced them build their fence all weird. In fact their fence is almost certainly in worse condition in certain areas. It's the little imperfections that really sell a scene.

Also for forests... seriously people build their forests like a city planner did it. All of their trees are orderly and clumped together, and their paths all lead to predetermined areas. If you've ever spent any real time in a forest you'll learn it's very random. Clearings will just be wherever, trees will have fallen over, there's rocks all over the place, drop offs, plants grow in any place light gets past the trees. And you know what? Trees are of varying size as they're not all the same age, nor share the same living setup.

Also you'll find water all over the place because the larger the trees, the more likely they've blocked the light and prevented the water from evaporating. Plus if the water isn't moving it's going to be stagnate with lots of bugs and things growing in it. So water is often tinged green, or even if it's running you'll usually find it darker because of the low light.

TLDR: Be more random? Nothing's perfect. :LZSwink:

@Htlaets
It's actually one of the few maps that's going to get used twice, once climbing it to reach a lookout point, and once coming down... But actually most of my maps are just made for one story scene, then they're never used again. Just nice calm areas between the gameplay areas to handle story, character progression and saves. :LZSexcite:

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Map261.png
Here's Granby town! I tried to make the path a bit random, and to make the houses look different. There's a couple fields, since it's an agricultural area. I almost included animals, but there's a fair bit of them in the previous map and it is a town.

TheOnlyLlama

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wooden Bay.png
I present you with a Wooden Bay. 3rd largest town on the southern coastline of the Esugia Empire. As you can tell by the name, this town's main income comes from wood, wood crafts, and boatbuilding alike. Wooden Bay also has a prospering harbor (not shown on this particular map). The villagers are self-sufficient with growing their own crops, fishing, and even hunting (the hero is a hunter). This map is a starting town and a resting hub between chapters in my game.

Mapping is absolutely not my forte and I was struggling a lot with this one. Any comments and opinions are welcome. :)

hosercanadian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
View attachment 189179
I present you with a Wooden Bay. 3rd largest town on the southern coastline of the Esugia Empire. As you can tell by the name, this town's main income comes from wood, wood crafts, and boatbuilding alike. Wooden Bay also has a prospering harbor (not shown on this particular map). The villagers are self-sufficient with growing their own crops, fishing, and even hunting (the hero is a hunter). This map is a starting town and a resting hub between chapters in my game.

Mapping is absolutely not my forte and I was struggling a lot with this one. Any comments and opinions are welcome. :)
That map is very good. It made me sit up and WANT to look at it.

You do need some light and movement to really sell it. A day/night cycle or even a cloud (shadows) layer would really add to the light. The movement would be captured with the NPCs but some particle movement for dust, leaves and bugs would really sell it.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
View attachment 189179

That town is an absolute beauty. You put a lot of thought into it. Only nitpick I can particularly give to it is that there's some dissonance between the look of the town and the description of it as being the third largest town with a prosperous harbor. I'd expect something bustling and city-like with massive lumberyards if I heard the area described to me like that before entering, but it seems more like a cozy sleepy village.

And if I had to describe it without see the description I'd say it's a small comfy rivertown (yeah, I know, harbor not depicted)

... Buuuuuttttt that nitpick would be more of a suggestion to change how you describe it (I wouldn't use its size as a descriptor because then people will expect something denser, and prosperous makes someone expect luxury homes) rather than the map. Those things could be true, of course, just leading with those descriptions taints the player's view on it.

@ShiningPhoibe
I can see the improvement with every map you post. This one's a lot denser than your previous attempts, and the houses are varied in shape and size, which is nice. I also appreciate the fact that you're building houses with a side orientation, the roads being the indicator of where the entrance is.

That being said, it doesn't make much sense for some of the roads to lead to walls of the building rather than their entrance. If someone is going to make a house, they're going to put the door facing the road, if someone is going to build a road to a house, they're going to bring the road to a door and not a wall or window, basically.

Plus side to diverting the roads a bit is that it'd probably break up the empty space you have a bit better.

TheOnlyLlama

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@hosercanadian I could add that this map is just a base (I added smoke coming from chimneys cause I wanted to see how it looks). :) As I said player's gonna visit this location quite a few times, so naturally the placement of NPC's gonna change and so the light or weather. For this reason, I didn't bother with it for now. But I do understand what you're saying nonetheless. Thank you ^_^

@Htlaets I see... It sounded right at first, but you're right. It does sound like this town is some kind of bustling metropolis. So maybe if I say - third most important place/village? Or - a village located in the south of the empire, excelling in woodcrafts?

Either way, thank you for boosting my confidence. :)

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@TheOnlyLlama Of course, I don't know the context of your game, and I don't know if you're going "Elder scrolls little-big town" style or "You're walking through a section of a massive town, and the entire town isn't depicted in the game" style.

That being said there're a few ways you can describe the town as important without giving the wrong impression. You can emphasize that it's a major logging town that supplies a significant percentage of the Empire's timber while "living in tune with the forest", you could say the port has strategic importance, or is a part of a major trade route (though, again, it makes you think the place is going to look like a trade hub), you could highlight the uniqueness of the resident's self-sufficiency and communal strength as a tourism angle.

Personally going only off the map, what I'd put on a brochure is:

"Welcome to Wooden Bay, a beautiful rustic logging town built along the [river name here] river. Idyllic forests frame beautifully maintained fields of golden wheat, maintaining a natural balance that defines this town and its inhabitants."

beliziam

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Germany
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A monastery im working on:

FqDOtUr.png

PS: Can someone please recommend an map image plugin for mz that also renders events?

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Map285.pngMy first attempt at making a plain. It's definitely easier to map forests ;_; It's a bit empty for now, but I'll add animals later.

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ShiningPhoibe
I feel like everything might be a bit too evenly spread out?
Maybe try leaving slightly bigger areas of just grass, or the tall grass. (I assume the dark green is supposed to be tall grass anyway)
And clump together the big plants more? And the smaller flowers should be together too, but like, the same flower.

Something kinda like this?
Screen Shot 3965.PNG
Of course this is a way smaller map, but I hope you get the idea.

PS. I hate that MZ doesn't have a proper "tall grass" tile. There's just, weird moss or whatever that's too dark to place trees and bushes on, and leaves. (ugly leaves)

Bandito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you! It’s an open world adventure game but set in the confines of a single cityHere is the game’s thread:

I like your title screen particularly the character art. I wonder if the placement of the text and characters could be tweaked though as there’s a lot of empty space in the bottom left (unless you’re planning on putting some commands in there?)

2IFFPB2.png

What do you guys think of this edit to the title screen?

@Ophiucus Games

This looks amazing! What is the game about?

@TheOnlyLlama If map is not forte, what is? This map looks amazing!

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Map295.png
Trying to make sewers with Kokoro's Reflection Sewer tileset. I wanted to make them maze-like and I think that part is okay? It looks a bit empty for now.

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Today I have a Chapel of Wooden Bay.
Interior maps are even harder than exterior maps. This is just a base map, so any lighting and stuff will be added later. Suggestions for changes are welcome. :)
That’s very pretty and has a really cohesive style without too much repetition. Overall the layout and mix of objects and empty space is nice. Personally I tend to avoid making interior maps too much bigger than the building exteriors - I feel the proportions of your map match the scale of a larger church eg a cathedral rather than a chapel. I think generally we underestimate how big buildings need to be when making exterior maps, and vice versa for interiors. That’s a personal stylistic choice though and I know it can be hard to fit everything you need to into a small interior map.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Feel free to check out our "Touch the Stars" gamejam submission, "Starlight, Starbright!"
just finished playing one shot. im kinda disappointed with return the sun ending ngl. i was hoping there would be some after credits scene that would play with my emotions
So apparently the surprise Google Search page browser game saves your progress when you close the browser.

This really makes me miss the golden age of Flash gaming.
ohh man im ending oneshot now (im doing the last stepping puzzle rn) and the music is so...sad...like...ive been thinking recently about how fast moments pass and...my anxious thoughts combined with that music and nostalgia...like...im comfortably sad...and want to cry internally
We're playing one of the Touch the Stars game jam entries, come join us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pliskin