gRaViJa

Eniko Ghosts of Grace Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV

There's some small bugs too be fixed and the recording made the animations flinch out somehow a couple times, but getting there (both game developing-wise as finding a good way to record high quality videos). Looking forward to feedback and reactions :)

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@cthulhusquid From the light coming from the windows, it's around midday.
Why would you light torches inside when it's daylight?
I can understand if you do it in the rooms farthest from the windows, but not everywhere.

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

There's some small bugs too be fixed and the recording made the animations flinch out somehow a couple times, but getting there (both game developing-wise as finding a good way to record high quality videos). Looking forward to feedback and reactions :)
This looks beautiful and really polished. The animations are great and looks super fun to play!

I'm looking for advice on filling gaps in maps. My game is based in one city, so I want some semi-unique things to fills gaps in the maps. I want to avoid repetition of the same resources.

In the below map, the bottom-right hand corner seems unnaturally empty, so does the upper middle part (between the house with purple windows and the building on the right with the blue roof).

On other maps, I already have typical "towny" things like a large fountain and statue of the town's founder etc. So I want to avoid adding more statues/fountains as the ones I already have are sort of like landmarks. I added a flower planter in the bottom left to fill the space there, but don't want too many more plants on this map. I do have street markets/stalls in another part of the town, but as this district is quite posh/upmarket I don't think street vendors really belong here. I also have crates in other more industrial / port areas but again this area is too manicured to have stuff like that lying around.

Any ideas for things to add to fill space? All suggestions welcome!

WestAve.png

gRaViJa

Eniko Ghosts of Grace Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ophiucus Games Thx! :) for your screenshot I also think the only thing really missing are the npc's. Maybe some crates, small plants and other objects and a stall or something to top it off.

Last edited:

Nicke

Fortune seeker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Been a while since I worked on RPG Maker. I am currenly mapping a new Ruin map and I kinda like it. Love the FSM tilesets.
1f642.png

ruin_test.png

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Ophiucus Games it already looks very good. However to give it some more life , besides what @dreamfall887 said, things that are evidence of day-to-day life ...
So maybe a cart or a lost bag or a newspaper blown by the wind or some crates or a parked bycicle or even litter...

Basically proof of life, things that are left in the wake of humans being and living there.

grimf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Ninjakillzu

It looks really good. I think it might look better with some stuff by the road. Maybe some street lamps or something, it feels very empty atm.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ninjakillzu

It looks really good. I think it might look better with some stuff by the road. Maybe some street lamps or something, it feels very empty atm.
That's because I haven't gotten around to making it yet. Don't worry, it'll have stuff later.

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone,

I decided to learn rpg maker a few weeks ago after seeing a youtube video. I know nothing about programing and design, but I feel I can manage to do something decent with this engine.

I followed rmz built-in tutorial and some video lessons on basic techniques and I decided to have a go for parallax mapping. I start to understand how photoshop works, but there's always something that disturbs my eyes and leave me unsatisfied.

I've been working on a house for a few days now, it's my first project and no matter what I change i'm not happy with it.

Maybe an outside eye could lead me in the right direction?

Sans titre.png

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone,

I decided to learn rpg maker a few weeks ago after seeing a youtube video. I know nothing about programing and design, but I feel I can manage to do something decent with this engine.

I followed rmz built-in tutorial and some video lessons on basic techniques and I decided to have a go for parallax mapping. I start to understand how photoshop works, but there's always something that disturbs my eyes and leave me unsatisfied.

I've been working on a house for a few days now, it's my first project and no matter what I change i'm not happy with it.

Maybe an outside eye could lead me in the right direction?

View attachment 192104
For a first try I’d say that’s pretty impressive.
A few suggestions though:
-the shadow under the roof on the bottom right of the house is too big, looks like the roof probably only sticks out a few pixels from the edge of the house so the shadow shouldn’t be that big
-the part of the roof in the top right where the horizontal and vertical sections meet doesn’t match up in terms of height. The /\ shape of the vertical section should be taller so that it reaches to the top of the horizontal roof. Hope that makes sense - can provide an illustration if not
-the grass texture doesn’t match the house in terms of colour saturation. Should be darker / less saturated. Also make sure you add shadows on the grass around the house as the building would naturally block light
-if you’re not planning to already, add some variation to the grass, eg a path, different grass colours, plants, trees

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you very much for your feedback.

For a first try I’d say that’s pretty impressive.
A few suggestions though:
-the shadow under the roof on the bottom right of the house is too big, looks like the roof probably only sticks out a few pixels from the edge of the house so the shadow shouldn’t be that big

You're right, that shadow in front is not logical with the roof, i'll correct that.

-the part of the roof in the top right where the horizontal and vertical sections meet doesn’t match up in terms of height. The /\ shape of the vertical section should be taller so that it reaches to the top of the horizontal roof. Hope that makes sense - can provide an illustration if not
I understand what you mean, I did that at the beggining but the roof was really pointy. I'll try to do it again.

-the grass texture doesn’t match the house in terms of colour saturation. Should be darker / less saturated. Also make sure you add shadows on the grass around the house as the building would naturally block light
-if you’re not planning to already, add some variation to the grass, eg a path, different grass colours, plants, trees
True but for my discharge, I only worked on the house at the moment :smile: The little soldier sprite is not from me either, I found it on google and I use it as reference for dimensions.

When this house won't make my eyes bleed anymore I'll try to make some 6 frame grass animation.

I feel that the stones around the windows and door are not good too. What do you think ?

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you very much for your feedback.

You're right, that shadow in front is not logical with the roof, i'll correct that.

I understand what you mean, I did that at the beggining but the roof was really pointy. I'll try to do it again.

True but for my discharge, I only worked on the house at the moment :smile: The little soldier sprite is not from me either, I found it on google and I use it as reference for dimensions.

When this house won't make my eyes bleed anymore I'll try to make some 6 frame grass animation.

I feel that the stones around the windows and door are not good too. What do you think ?
The stones actually look ok although if you wanted you could tweak the colour so they match the exposed brick on other parts of the wall.
Good luck with completing your map!

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The stones actually look ok although if you wanted you could tweak the colour so they match the exposed brick on other parts of the wall.
Good luck with completing your map!
Good idea, they are too clean compared to the rest of the house. I think my brain is tired and can't see obvious things like that anymore.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ninjakillzu I'm so glad you're still working on the Collector. New screenshot is looking great! :)
I'm not going to abandon it, but I do take breaks from time to time depending on my motivation and ideas. The screenshot is from one of the new oriental themed districts.
I'll keep posting screenshots as development continues, but you won't be able to go to any of the new districts until the game is done.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

RivalRamen_Games wrote on jacobv1014's profile.
I really like your profile picture! Who is that in it? is she an OC?
Making his first game
This scene was suppose to be a test... but now, it's going in the game as official side/optional content. :kaosalute:

functionality(This is function demo not game demo)
1 The door of ABS map can open upon clearing all the monsters
2 Secret room/road arrow/lighting/whatever others can be shown upon clearing too
3 Boss HP bar and loot effect, loot jump and item name color as well as the pick-up animation effect
4 Back to town and "victory aftermath" screen for ABS maps/rooms
Playing one of the two RM2k3 games I was best known for back in the day, one I made in the Spring semester of my Freshmen year in college like 15 years ago, feeling all kinds of ways about it. I have not played this game in WELL over 10 years. I feel a million years old RN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myj3775