Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone;

I corrected the house, not sure it's good yet. Does something disturb your eyes now?

Sans titre-3.png

I'm also trying to do an 8 frame waterfall animation with galv's plugins for 2 days, but I can't figure out how to make it work properly. I hope it will be worth the effort.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
The bricks next to the door and window really stand out, as if the style/color doesn't fit with the rest.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cathy Yeah, as BCj has said, the masonry around the windows and door look out of place. It's probably because the other bricks are a lot darker and are covered in moss or something, whereas the windows and door look pristine.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
First post in this thread for a long time (RL!!!)
I've just been finishing some catacombs, so mainly lots of small rooms linked by corridors, and obviously underground.

Here's me running around checking lighting. More in the spoiler.
Screenie 1.png
Screenie 2.png
Screenie 3.png

Screenie 4.png

Screenie 5.png

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes 1st map:
On the left, if the south light is lighting the upper wall, the north light should also light the south wall. You have a projected shadow at the south angle, and not at the north angle.

3rd map: the white stone color for the base of the sarcophagus seems too bright for the rest of the color tone. I'd recolor it more like the rest, or at least darker.

5th map: Above the party, there's a light. Above that light, against the top of the wall, there is a strange shadow that look like a bug.

I like the tone and intensity of your lighting!
And having those arches using the top tiles is a good idea.

Reactions: Kes

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Kes overall it looks good and has a good atmosphere. My biggest issue tho is that the light comming from the lamps is brighter then the lamps themselves which looks a little off to me.

Reactions: Kes

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cathy Looks much better. However, the glass also needs to look a little dirtier.

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you, all the advices I got helped me go further in my training.

At the moment, the glass are transparent, I'll try to do a dirty moving reflexion on them with parallax when i'll get to the surroundings. Not sure if should reflect the sky or the ground since real perspective is not used here.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Cathy I personally would not recommend reflecting the sky, otherwise they could look like you are seeing the sky through them - which is what I thought when I saw your post, which left me wondering how I could see sky inside a house.

Other than that, a big improvement, though I still wonder if the stones around the windows need to be as big as they are. They dominate the window. Maybe take out a vertical line or two of pixels to make them a shade narrower?

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you Kes, I'll try that.

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create a river animation in parallax with a small waterfall but the global feeling isn't right. I haven't done the details yet but I already feel it's going nowhere.

I've uploaded a gif, it's a bit pixelated but I couldn't do better from the capture.

Any advice would be precious.

test2.gif

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Cathy
I don't do parallaxing, so I'm not going to give technical suggestions, just how I respond to it as a map.

If the water is falling down into a closed lake/pond, which it is at the moment, where does the inflowing water go? It would have flooded out. So that lower lake needs an outlet.

But the issue is bigger than that. Using the tree as a way of deducing scale, that is one mighty big river - and so the amount of water coming over the edge into the waterfall is far too small. Again the river would have overflowed its banks as the outlet is too small. You would either need to make the river a lot narrower or the waterfall bigger. As those waterfalls are so well done, it might be better to make the river narrower.

The grass section of the upper cliff, to the right of the water, needs an outline to match every other bit of grass.

You have a perspective problem with the section of the cliff left of the tree. You have moved the base of it back a couple of tiles without altering the height of the grass above. This section of cliff needs to have the same total height as the waterfall section, which will affect the way you do the grass along the river bank.

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you for your reply Kes :thumbsup-left:

I've tried to sketch an idea after thinking of what you've said. I'm not certain this idea would correct everything but it might help.

Sans titre-2.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Cathy
I think those extra waterfalls plus narrowing the river will help a lot.
I have, however, just realised what it is that bothered me about the right side of the river. You have the river bank and visually it is on exactly the same level as the grass at the bottom of the cliff - there is no indication that the ground is higher. What you could do to correct that would be to continue the line of the cliff top across the map instead of turning it up towards the north. Or you could continue it a bit more, turn it up north for a short way and then continue it across the map. Maybe that desn't fit what you are trying to do, but you will have to find some way to solve the perspective problem.

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made my first map using some free and paid tiles and characters made by Popodot, and was hoping to get feedback on whether shadows are needed for the tiles? I'd also welcome any suggestions for decorative stuff to add to the forest clearing in the center (conditional on the relatively small selection of tiles available and my limited art skills).

home6.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SeaPhoenix As long as you've got some art skills to copy them, you could try scattering tiny stones like the ones around the big stones. Maybe recolour them to match the dirt. You could also, perhaps, copy the little tufts that are on the grass tile and put a couple of them close to the edge of the dirt patch so that it looks like the grass is trying to regrow there. Given the simplicity of the style, I personally think you shouldn't add too much, it would be a strange contrast with the ground elsewhere.

On a different note, the pale green tree to the right of the clearing, second tree from the top, has a funny brown blob on it which has left me puzzled. I mean this:
1624476631137.png

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
need a time to not open my MV,still addicted with new vegas

i wonder what addiction effect behind playing new vegas too much,maybe INT & Science gone worse in many days :D
cdjensen94 wrote on Kaliya's profile.
Are you the one who develops Kaliya's Visual Map Enhancements. If so I desperately need some help. I bought the plugin back a few months. I've only started using it recently.
Cause MP Damage instead of HP, Localization Plugin for Translation | RPG Maker News #112

Here in Fla were are seeing crazy covid spikes and some vaccinated getting bad infections. I had a mild fever on Thurs but it went down fast. How is everyone else doing. Hopefully you are all well. :)
Wish I was better at art, specifically that I was faster at it, bc this one NPC took Several Days to complete! It's gonna take So Extremely Long to do all of the art for my game, never mind writing it... Anyways, here's my gorgon, Hopernica Sthyxis!

57b88732c7abbcd84981dacf624a98495af61fcc.gifv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erora