SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, @Kes! Will add a few tufts of grass and some small stones too. The stones came from a different tileset and I had actually recolored them gray because I thought it would add more contrast to the map (otherwise everything's just green or brown) but I do agree stones that match the dirt color make more sense.

The blob is an acorn. :) There are a couple on the map for the player to collect (not more than that, because food is limited in the game).

I think the acorns would look better a little rotated, but I can't do a good job cleaning up the rotation. I did try 3 different placements below though - if you or anyone else has opinions on whether A, B, or C look better, I'd welcome them! A and C are ideal because they use up only 1 tile as an event but I personally think 2 on a tree look better.

Trees.png

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The art style looks pretty cohesive for a mix :p Anyway...I'm no artist but the style looks very 2d, as in some of the objects had no attempt to even add any illusion of 3d at all. so maybe shadows doesn't fit? But you could make them look less flat, Like the log, it looks completely flat, maybe shade it a little to make it look rounder?

@SeaPhoenix As long as you've got some art skills to copy them, you could try scattering tiny stones like the ones around the big stones. Maybe recolour them to match the dirt. You could also, perhaps, copy the little tufts that are on the grass tile and put a couple of them close to the edge of the dirt patch so that it looks like the grass is trying to regrow there. Given the simplicity of the style, I personally think you shouldn't add too much, it would be a strange contrast with the ground elsewhere.

On a different note, the pale green tree to the right of the clearing, second tree from the top, has a funny brown blob on it which has left me puzzled. I mean this:
View attachment 193179
I think its an acorn.

Last edited:

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I wonder why there's a path leading to that clearing.
Maybe you could add a pile of logs with an axe on it so it could be a loggers resting place. With that idea you could add a circle of stones that he uses for fire and a trunk for him to sit....

And for the acorn, you could put it on the branch.

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks @Willibab, @Elissiaro and @Cathy for the helpful suggestions, especially the idea of the acorn on the branch! Will try to do that.

There's a path so that the player can easily tell which way leads out of this map (there's no other exit). I should have mentioned that an animal is the main character here and this is its "home". There may be a human or two living in a house a couple of maps away but I envisioned the clearing as relatively undisturbed by humans.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Map008.png

The evil teacups from my game. I really was thinking if I should add more teacups like in most rides but they take SO much space to use and I'm already struggling to fill the area as is. What should I do, keep it with just two teacups or try and add more?

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tuomo L
You could try fitting one in behind the teapot?
Otherwise I'd say two is fine.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tuomo L
You could try fitting one in behind the teapot?
Otherwise I'd say two is fine.
Problem is, player needs to be able to walk into the controller room for plot purposes. I'll try your suggestion and play around the map a bit to see if that would work, thank you from the suggestion!

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
View attachment 193260

The evil teacups from my game. I really was thinking if I should add more teacups like in most rides but they take SO much space to use and I'm already struggling to fill the area as is. What should I do, keep it with just two teacups or try and add more?
I would maybe desaturate the teacup colors a bit. They seem too bright compared to the rest of the scene (unless you are going for the contrast, then keep it the way it is).

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone,

I worked all week on my training with the waterfall scene, doing stuff for hours and erase them in 2 seconds, redo stuffs for hours and ...... :eek: it's far from finished but I think I finally found the good feeling and I would like to have an outside eye before going further.

I didn't do the moutain yet so the tileset is mostly untouched and the waterfalls still need a lot of polish (worked 2 full days on the waterfalls, it's hard for me).

Even if you feel it's crap don't mind telling me, I need to improve and I can't stand back anymore.

Test.gif

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Cathy
That is a huge improvement! Well done. Two things come to mind.
I assume that you will be adding an outlet at the bottom of the screen so that the water can continue on its way. The second issue is a bit bigger, and it's to do with the left hand section.

You have a lot of water flowing down (love the way the water flows, btw) but only a tiny trickle going out. Again you would have the overflow problem. The water in and water out need to match each other.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@huubz I like the way you have used your tiles, and the music is very fitting. The lightning effect is very well done.

The only thing I would like to suggest would be around the question of timing. Visually, the lightning looks like it is some distance away, over on the horizon. Therefore there should be a slight gap between the lightning and the sound of the thunder, if you can manage that.

huubz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kes Thanks! I agree with the timing, will have to tinker with it when I get to finish the map :LZYcool:

And I just noticed that I'll need to change the direction where the water and clouds are moving to match the rain :LZYdizzy:

Last edited:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tw0Face Reminds me of Doom, LOL.

@huubz Interesting effects. I'm not sure why, but the mountains in the background kind of remind me of a painting, so I was very surprised when the lightning came.

I haven't posted in a mapping thread in a while, so I figure I might as well post some stuff I've been working on. This map is huge because it's split into compartments. I drew everything on this map by myself. You can post feedback, though I'm not sure if I'll get around to it if it's too big.

Also just remembered it looks a little empty as it is right now because the board game tiles are going to be part of the tileset.

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Juno 26 Jun 2021 00_42_07.pngJuno 26 Jun 2021 00_27_59.png

Redid the skill equip scene to be more graphical and less blocky.

Shoutout to SkottyTV and Itaholy for their window skin designs!

You can follow me on twitter to see the custom designed battle system etc.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@cthulhusquid I like the layout. What I think would help would be to have some variation in the cliff heights. The only break in that solid vertical wall is the small variation where the waterfall comes down. A few more changes in height would make what is otherwise a solid, not very interesting, block feel a little more organic.

@Synrec That is a clean looking design, nothing superfluous except for just one thing. Presumably the 3 "No Skill" slots indicate that I can equip more than I currently have. Therefore there are going to be 3 more lines to the character's sprite. I wonder if that might make it look a bit cluttered. As the slots which are already equipped have descriptions plus icons and those not yet used are clearly labelled "No Skill", I'm not sure that the lines add anything to the player's understanding of their current state.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Feeling overwhelmed by this project's scope lately, and lured by other projects; but it also feels like I'm on the verge of a turning point, almost finished laying the "foundations" and can soon start building the real structure. In other words, the dreaded "middle phase lull." I recognize and will resist it. So, the latest work: battle sprite for the second major party member.

If you REALLY want to slow a loop down... stick a console.log statement in it. lol
welp... YED_Sideview Battler works on MZ with FOSSIL, and it even works with the new MZ Battle Core. problem is I dunno if the new battle core allows for custom motions with YED like the MV one does.
My first game is gonna be a really ambitious one. But it's costing me a lot of money to make lol. it'll be worth it though
Ugh...Guests always put the Ketchup in the fridge....bloody savages the lot of them! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momonica