Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Synrec That is a clean looking design, nothing superfluous except for just one thing. Presumably the 3 "No Skill" slots indicate that I can equip more than I currently have. Therefore there are going to be 3 more lines to the character's sprite. I wonder if that might make it look a bit cluttered. As the slots which are already equipped have descriptions plus icons and those not yet used are clearly labelled "No Skill", I'm not sure that the lines add anything to the player's understanding of their current state.

The lines are mainly aesthetic tbh. They show that you have skill connections whereas the circles you see originating from the lines also indicate when a slot is active. It's mainly to give a kinda spiritual modern feel to align with how the main character is a rune shaman in a modern era.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
First draft of my next town. I continue my efforts to have each town look different from the others. I'm not a fan of cloned towns.

In a spoiler, because it's so big. The building top right has no chimney for a reason. The 'eye' that you can see in 3 places is story related. Because it looks a bit dismal without lighting, I've also posted a screen shot so that you can see a bit better what it will look like. This is me running around testing passabilities.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Mapshot 147 Index [0, 0].png

screenie 1.png

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes
A really beautiful town. Guess it would be nice to live there. Maybe... Depending on your story.

Only thing a realized: All doors have a kind of special single tile in front of them except for the house on the top right (the one without the chimney). Not sure if it is by accident or intential.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ElCheffe Thank you for your kind words.

The door you mentioned is deliberately different from the other ones. It does have a step which is narrower than the others, but maybe it needs to be the same size to be noticeable. Here is a 'snip' shot of it - so a bit blurry - and as you can see, it's there.

1624906329483.png

I think that perhaps what I'll do is make it the same colour as the stone - the other houses have a grey step because the walls are grey brick.

EDIT
And done. It does look better, so thank you for pointing it out to me.

1624907007675.png

AND EDIT AGAIN
I just realised that we were talking about 2 different things. Yes, I forgot to put the tile indicating a door you can walk into.

Last edited:

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Been working on the reboot of my abandoned RM2K3 project from years ago, importing the tiles into MZ for this one. Already got the airship and the first forest area done. (The darkened screen is because it's later in the day and rather cloudy weather...)
ScreenShot569.pngScreenShot570.pngScreenShot571.png

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Kes I think what @ElCheffe meant was that all doors have a different ground tile leading up to it, except that door. If that's deliberate then it's fine :)

@Milennin I like the maps, but that looks a bit too dark for cloudy weather to me.

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Milennin I like the maps, but that looks a bit too dark for cloudy weather to me.

Thanks. There's story reasons behind it being so dark, well, beyond it being cloudy, lol. (that being darkness being spread around the area by the local dark lord...)

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to animate trees in MZ trying not to have a jerky effect, I can't figure out a pattern that would work for most trees.

I tried to animate 7 different trees without success, using 6 to 9 frames and multiple layers. I'm using galv's character frames plugin with a speed modifier of 0.75.

This last one seems to be good but I feel it's still jerky. I use speed X2 slower and 6 frames.
Does the movement feels normal to you ?

test tree.gif

I tried to animate that weeping willow many times without success. Could someone show me the right technique to do it ?

Sans titre-1.png

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
First draft of my next town. I continue my efforts to have each town look different from the others. I'm not a fan of cloned towns.

In a spoiler, because it's so big. The building top right has no chimney for a reason. The 'eye' that you can see in 3 places is story related. Because it looks a bit dismal without lighting, I've also posted a screen shot so that you can see a bit better what it will look like. This is me running around testing passabilities.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

View attachment 193659
Looks pretty nice, for a small town. I did have some small suggestions, though.
  1. There's smoke coming out of some chimneys, but not all. Are these cooking fires, personal fireplaces, communal fireplaces? Since I see the townsfolk all have hoods, is it a windy but sunny day? I try to make the outsides of my buildings match the interior layout as close as possible, down to the placement of chimneys.
  2. I'm surprised there aren't any guards patrolling the walls. I'd add a couple, and make the wall a bit thicker so they can walk along it.
  3. I'd personally place the street lamps in more natural places, like next to doors or along the major streets. For instance, two on either side of the big building archway would feel like a good "welcome" to the town, drawing people through it.
  4. Is the eye thing the centerpiece of the town, or the garden? If it's the eye thing, I'd place benches on either side facing outward, with gardens on either side that people can admire or walk near, and shift it some to the left. If it's the garden, I'd place the eye thing near the building with the eye on it, and make the garden bigger so it's more centered in the town. Alternatively, you can place the garden in the L-bend where the water pump is, and move that near the Inn where it would get the most use.

Reactions: Kes

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looking for opinions. In general, which looks better? The small sprites or the big 2x sprites?

Other comments welcome, though assets are still drafts/placeholders (thus the duplicate sprites).

Raptor Revolt Demo_29_2021 PM_1.pngRaptor Revolt Demo_29_2021 PM_2.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Featherbrain As someone who often moans about having actor battlers looking tiny against enemy battlers, my instinct is to prefer the larger version. However, the tails do look a bit pixilated., so you might want to smooth those out a bit. Other than that, I like them. Well done.

@cthulhusquid Thanks for your detailed feedback.

There are no guards because one of the issues facing this town is that numbers are dropping and so they no longer have enough people to sit in the watch towers (walls are not meant to be patrolled, hence the number of towers) except in times of danger (but, as our hero points out, how will they know it's a time of danger if no one is keeping watch?).

They are personal fires, and not everyone has a fire lit during the day, so not every chimney has smoke. And, like you, I try to match interiors to exteriors.

I'm going to follow your suggestion about moving the well, you're right, it would be better up by the inn.

The garden and eye have moved around like a pair of nomads during the drawing of this map, I've still to find a combination that I'm happy with. But spurred on by your comments I shall have another go.

Last edited:

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Kes I think your town needs more life, there is no real purpose for someone to get out of his place.

Maybe add empty crates, barrels, bottles, broken plate ... in the alley near the inn as if the cook would put his useless stuff out waiting to be thrown away.

Maybe add a small place where to tie 2 or 3 horses, a few covered piles of wood, a pile of bricks near an unfinished wall.

Each house could have a small garden, I think you need more green, the only tree feels a bit small on my opinion.

Maybe add a small platform where an old beggar would shout that the world is coming to an end...

A small hand carriage would be nice too.

I really think it needs to show that people live there.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Cathy Thank you for your detailed suggestions.

Crates, barrels, broken bottles etc. Their absence is a deliberate design choice. I decided that not every town needed to be filled up with useless junk and general tat - my other towns have it (I hope not to excess) but not this one. The cook at the inn doesn't put out stuff to be thrown away as hardly anyone visits the inn anymore, so no need to cook. (The innkeeper is genuinely astonished that anyone wants to stay. The armorer hasn't sold anything in years and so stopped making new gear a long time ago, just gradually selling off bits and pieces when he can. That sort of thing.)

An unfinished wall. This would imply that building is going on. It's not. As I said in my reply to Cthulhusquid, the town's population is getting smaller and smaller. There is, therefore, no need for new building.

Every house with a small garden. Nope, there isn't room and I'm not going to double the size of the map just for gardens.

You say that the town lacks life - great, as that is precisely the atmosphere I wanted to create. This is a town which is slowly shrivelling up on itself, one where hope and a zest for life have ebbed away. People put one foot in front of the other in order to get through another day. As well as the map, that is conveyed by the music track for this town, quite different from the usual atmosphere of a town theme. Quiet, melancholic, zero oomph.

I think if you look at the map from that perspective, you will be able to see why it is the way it is.

Last edited:

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Featherbrain The big sprites look better, going by those 2 screenshots. But it'll depend on how much more space enemies can possibly take up, and what your battle animations are like. But going by those screenshots, there's way too much dead space between the enemies and the players. Second screenshot looks like it fills up the space way better, due to the bigger sprites but also from having placed the enemy not so near the edge of the screen.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Kes most points are ready made (the good ones anyway) however one thing that i find is that the town gate looks off compared tot the town. Like architectually different (which could work of It truly was different and not trying to be samey to the buildings).

Really pulls my eye to it everytime i look at it in a bad way (sorry).
Towers have the same issue bit less noticable.

my suggestion (the easiest) is ro change the roofs on the gate and walls all together to make Them truly different or to add some more Wood detailing to make it more inline with the buildings inside the town

as always tho, that's Just my opinion and im Just 1 Guy who doesn't know anything either xD

something like this for example ties it all together a bit more, imo.
(ofc this is a quick edit in photoshop by cutting and pasting the png so quality is lacking)
KesMap.png

Alternativly you could leave the roofs off alltogether and add crenaltions instead to make it a different architectural style all together.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Finnuval I like your suggestion regarding the towers and will find a way of implementing it.
Thank you.

EDIT
And done. I tried putting in the wooden panels, but it didn't really quite work, imo. Instead, I have remade the windows and tiles to match those in the rest of the town and redone the wooden dividers/supports in the tower roof. Here is a before and after image. What do you think? (Ignore the bird, it just flies around at random.)

roof changes.png

Last edited:

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Kes yeah it looks more like the towers belong to the town architectually now.
(And i Will ignore the birds xD )

EDIT: one thing i am kinda missing reading through tour answers so some of the other comments is a (empty) guardhouse to hold all those guards once payrolling the town. But that's Just me nitpicking xD

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Finnuval Glad you think it's an improvement.

As for the guardhouse, it had been the custom for every male in the town to take their turn, a sort of militia as it were, so no separate guardhouse was needed. Which is why a reduced population means no one in the towers on a regular basis.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Finnuval Glad you think it's an improvement.

As for the guardhouse, it had been the custom for every male in the town to take their turn, a sort of militia as it were, so no separate guardhouse was needed. Which is why a reduced population means no one in the towers on a regular basis.
Ah ok, so there is a story explanation. That's good xD

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Another comic with Backstage Malak...
If you want to ask him anything, you can ask on my DeviantArt page! I'm not sure if you're allowed to do it here.
Forum tip of the day ...
If you get a temporary suspension for being a jerk to people who are trying to help you, and arguing with mods and admins, don't go making new accounts. Chances are, if you p**s us off enough to suspend you for a week, we're not going to hesitate giving you a permanent ban when you give us a reason.
E_6fAErVkAQILXu.png
I'm so close to releasing my game on steam! :blush::blush::blush:
Us:
"This game is awesome! I wish there are more games like this in the future."
Also us:
"I hate how games stopped being original and start copying other successful games."
Should've done this a few days ago but...
PRI_200136808.jpg
Rest in Peace, Sir Clive Sinclair
1940 - 2021
Entrepreneur, Technologist, Father of the Modern British Computing Industry, and protagonist of Legend of ZUN.

Without you, England's games and tech industry wouldn't be where it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlakeVit