Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Tuomo L Nice tiles.
The placement of the chairs looks weird, especially the two facing up. I'd move them closer to the table.

I'm not sure, though, about using those face sets if you're trying to get a retro aesthetic; they don't meet that objective, imo. I can see that they came with the sprites, but then, the sprites don't look retro either. I can see the potential for a clash of styles here.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tuomo L

I'm not sure, though, about using those face sets if you're trying to get a retro aesthetic; they don't meet that objective, imo. I can see that they came with the sprites, but then, the sprites don't look retro either. I can see the potential for a clash of styles here.
I thought that they all looked like they belonged in Game Boy Advance, which is the retro style I am going for.

Ophiucus Games

Ophiucus Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Looking for opinions. In general, which looks better? The small sprites or the big 2x sprites?

Other comments welcome, though assets are still drafts/placeholders (thus the duplicate sprites).

View attachment 193797View attachment 193798
Really love these screenshots and that you have a totally unique and very cohesive look going on. I'd say the larger battlers all the way.

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tuomo L I really like your use of space. The environment feels properly big. Good subtle use of fog too.

-- Screencaps from the final dungeon of my short game. Unfinished. they feel pretty empty as of the moment.
Notes: Dreamlike locale. The potion vial in the second is intended to be glowing.
mw.png
mw2.png
Blocked out section since there's some errors.

Last edited:

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here's a ramen shop related to the main story of Collector. One of several flashbacks (that occur past the demo's playtime) take place here.

Screenshot (81).png

Here's a small part of the flashback, but I need to add some more people.

Screenshot (85).png

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SoftCloud The dirty floor of the second screen shot is particularly well done, as is the furniture. Nicely wrecked/neglected. For that map, I don't understand the gleaming sliver (or is it a bit of fire?) on the 2 pieces of furniture. I personally would take the brightness of the bottle down a bit. It is too much for that level of lighting.

Is the first map in the same building? It looks quite different, so I'm assuming it's not, but if it is the same it needs to match up the same level of dereliction as the second.

ATM the first map all looks artificially damaged. To have a creeper grow up an internal wall, you need to make the place a lot more ruined. Creepers need soil and water, and so the place where it is growing from would definitely have semi-destroyed the papers lying at its base. The floor would be stained in that area. In fact, the floor looks pristine fresh all over apart from the unusual dark patch across the centre area. Even zoomed in I'm unsure what the object is in the corner just left of the creeper. Is it a fungus? In which case you definitely need to make that area wet.
The flowers in the pot would have died unless there is someone still living there and tending them.
The damaged wall section next to the pot looks off. Usually when a wall loses a chunk that size, the cracks run up, not down. Wood does not break like that. That particular graphic is more for plastered/rendered walls than wood panels.
The green poster at the bottom needs adjusting, imo. It is meant to be in shadow (I think, based on the way the lighting falls) and therefore would not shine out like that. If it were florescent it would shine in a different way to the way it does now.

@Ninjakillzu Is that a laptop/pc in front of the shop assistant at the counter? If so, the blue light it is emitting should only fall to the left, not also come out of the back of it.

The level of light given off by the artificial lights and the green screens seems to clash with the fact that your windows suggest that it is day outside. The natural light would soften the amount of apparent light from those other sources - especially the green screens which are giving off the same intensity of light as the big lamps.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SoftCloud The dirty floor of the second screen shot is particularly well done, as is the furniture. Nicely wrecked/neglected. For that map, I don't understand the gleaming sliver (or is it a bit of fire?) on the 2 pieces of furniture. I personally would take the brightness of the bottle down a bit. It is too much for that level of lighting.

Is the first map in the same building? It looks quite different, so I'm assuming it's not, but if it is the same it needs to match up the same level of dereliction as the second.

ATM the first map all looks artificially damaged. To have a creeper grow up an internal wall, you need to make the place a lot more ruined. Creepers need soil and water, and so the place where it is growing from would definitely have semi-destroyed the papers lying at its base. The floor would be stained in that area. In fact, the floor looks pristine fresh all over apart from the unusual dark patch across the centre area. Even zoomed in I'm unsure what the object is in the corner just left of the creeper. Is it a fungus? In which case you definitely need to make that area wet.
The flowers in the pot would have died unless there is someone still living there and tending them.
The damaged wall section next to the pot looks off. Usually when a wall loses a chunk that size, the cracks run up, not down. Wood does not break like that. That particular graphic is more for plastered/rendered walls than wood panels.
The green poster at the bottom needs adjusting, imo. It is meant to be in shadow (I think, based on the way the lighting falls) and therefore would not shine out like that. If it were florescent it would shine in a different way to the way it does now.

@Ninjakillzu Is that a laptop/pc in front of the shop assistant at the counter? If so, the blue light it is emitting should only fall to the left, not also come out of the back of it.

The level of light given off by the artificial lights and the green screens seems to clash with the fact that your windows suggest that it is day outside. The natural light would soften the amount of apparent light from those other sources - especially the green screens which are giving off the same intensity of light as the big lamps.
I turned down the intensity of the green panel light and darkened the windows to reflect the lighting outside. As for the computer, it's from a futuristic tileset and doesn't have a solid back, so the screen is visible from both sides.

Screenshot (86).png

Last edited:

Mike-Turtle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The following video shows some of the interiors and exteriors of a castle I'm building for Evergloom.

Its an ancient keep, repurposed as a training school for magically gifted girls. I could really use some feedback from outside our team.

What I'm trying to create is a sense of scale: a sprawling castle filled with thousands of people, factions, and secrets. The keep is very under capacity, as less girls are being gifted with magic, so the further you get from the main entrance, the more desolate it becomes, and the more rundown.

There is a lot more to the castle than in the video, but its already three minutes long, also a lot of the rooms still need padding out with characters and events, so they may seem a tad empty.

I would particularly like feedback on:
  • The overall feel of the castle and specifically if it feels like my brief description.
  • The main entrance (the first room in the video) which I've rebuilt a dozen times. I'm trying to make it feel splendid, but also like a hub for taking in goods, meetings, study.
Also, happy to receive any feedback ,on anything else you're willing to comment on.

Last edited:

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Trying making some smaller maps for once, to cut down on the time spent mapping. There'll be a few on-map encounters added later, but this will be one full area on its own (somewhat like an early game mini-dungeon...) Player starts at the bottom, and each enemy defeated will make a piece of the bridge to the boss on the island appear.
Untitled-1.png

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Milennin I'm quite new to rpgm but as a gamer I'd say that the shadow under the trees hurt the eyes, it's really black, maybe gray or some transparency could help.

Maybe you could add a difference of level in some places so it would be less flat.

Untitled-1.png

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Speaking of differences of level without stairs, i tried to simulate a slope but I'm not sure it would work.

What do you think?

Sans titre-2.png

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Milennin I'm quite new to rpgm but as a gamer I'd say that the shadow under the trees hurt the eyes, it's really black, maybe gray or some transparency could help.

Maybe you could add a difference of level in some places so it would be less flat.
Lol, it's the default RM2K3 tree. But yeah, making it more transparent is a quick fix. Not going to add in too many heights, since the next area will be a lot more focused on that instead. But still changed some parts that you highlighted.
Untitled-1.png

Speaking of differences of level without stairs, i tried to simulate a slope but I'm not sure it would work.

What do you think?
I think if the player is forced to go a route like that, it shouldn't be hard to figure out they can use that slope to go down.

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Milennin It's looks better on my opinion. If you want to soften the shadows I can do it quite fast with photoshop if you give me the template.

Milennin

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Milennin It's looks better on my opinion. If you want to soften the shadows I can do it quite fast with photoshop if you give me the template.
Thanks for the offer, but I got Photoshop myself. I did soften them by 33%, not sure if that was enough. I never really thought the shadows were that bad, lol.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ninjakillzu The new version is a big improvement.

@Mike-Turtle I don't have time to really look at the maps and comment on them, though first impressions were positive. I will try and come back and have a proper look tomorrow. You asked for other feedback, so here is something that struck me forcefully.

I hope that the little glowing orb above the heads of some sprites is really, really necessary, because I found it irritating after a while. At first I thought it might be some sort of stamina thing, as the character stopped and did some magic stuff when the orb disappeared, but then I saw that while some of the NPCs had the orbs, others didn't and seemed to be able to get around quite well without one.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Cathy There is another way of making a slope which might be preferable. In your current screenshot, it looks like there has been a recent landslip down which the player might be able to slide. That is because the slope is mud not grass like everything else. But a landslip big enough to go between the levels will need more mud at the bottom. The mud section just looks a bit bizarre, imo.

The alternative is to adapt what those of us who use the editor do, and that is to give the sides of the slope some natural looking support so that it feels more organic with everything else. In the spoiler is a screenshot of one of my maps which has 2 slopes in the bottom section, one going north and one going east/west, which is the one nearest to what you are trying to do. (As the player can walk behind the tops of all my cliffs, I have to be very clear visually about where they can and cannot go.)

Mapshot 101 Index [0, 0].png

As you can see, the cliff wall extends at the front edge on a reducing basis. That is what I mean by 'supporting' the slope. The back edge reveals the cliff behind on an increasing basis.

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Kes The slope I tried to do isn't good at all visually and in terms of gameplay neither. I'm going to try to do something with the example you provided me. Thank you very much Kes.

@Plueschkatze I love the shady atmosphere, do you use parallax mapping ?

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So this is... a thing.
A little something I've been working on... :kaosigh:
GoArOw1.png
This is a lot of fun
Posted some halloween freebies! Grab them while on season :kaopride:
hallow_cat.png
So my birthday was about a week ago! Just forgot to post it. I went to a Golden Corral, and it was soooooo good! :kaojoy: I also got some Animal Crossing in my life! Yay, Animal Crossing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocky_Bomboa