alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mike-Turtle, G-G-Gormenghast? Jus' kidding, that's a big castle, anyhow! Is there a way to teleport back to the main entrance? 'Coz that feels totally like a place I'd get lost in, and then get irritated 'coz I'm spending half an hour trying to find where Dhana is. :biggrin:

Also, I dig the walled-in doorways, but why are they in a style different than the other doorways?

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finally finished my 3rd map... as much as I could without editing the tileset again...
Need to fix those darn paths at the cliffedges. (୨ಠ益ಠ)୨

Ignore the hideous menu button thingies... I couldn't find a map shot plugin, so I had to stitch like 12 screenshots together.
HXJzbqn.png

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Elissiaro, I really like these types of maps! :biggrin: The only feedback I got is those stairs? Especially on the right side of the map, at the bottom of the peak, there's like four sets of stairs cramped really close together? I'd try and rearrange them a bit, or eliminate one set, so they wouldn't feel so cramped.

Also, can you maybe try and replace some of the stairs with, I dunno, ropes or vines or summat? No idea what resources you have to work with, but I got the feeling it'd create a nice bit of variation!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Elissiaro I like that map a lot, but like alice_gristle I think the bottom right corner does look a bit cramped. Maybe if the first steps could become a ramp up? I have a post on the previous page with a map in a spoiler. If you look at the bottom left corner you can see what I mean by a ramp in this instance.

There are 2 places (maybe more, but at this scale it's hard to be sure) where your use of the brown path tile has eliminated the edge of your cliff. One is to the right of the first steps bottom right and the other is at the last grass level at the top of that peak.

The cliffs on the left become bare rock at a noticeably lower altitude than the main section. Normally grass would continue to grow to roughly the same height, unless there were a specific reason for it. I would like to suggest that the lowest level of those rock cliffs become grassy.

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Elissiaro I personnaly don't like the stairs , they look like objects put over the mountain, They do not feel like part of it.
Maybe you could start the stairs with the shadow on bottom.

Sans titre-1.png

Sans titre-2.pngSans titre-3.pngSans titre-4.pngSans titre-5.png

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cathy
Thanks to your comment I realized I forgot to add the little bottom bits to the stairs that was included in the tileset, so thanks!
I also tried editing the top of the stairs a little bit, to make them fit in more.

@alice_gristle
@Kes
I fixed the path and changed the bottom right (and some other areas) up a bit, dunno if it looks better?
Also, this is supposed to be fairly high up the mountain, and I was thinking the plants only existed cause of the river. Dunno if that makes sense. Once you reach the other map I'm working on above where the river starts there are gonna be no plants.
Screen Shot 4105.PNGScreen Shot 4104.PNG

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The ladders are a nice addition.

I still have a problem with the stairs, I would push them in the mountain if I were you.

On the number 1, your stairs seem to start in the air before the mountain.
I quickly modified number 2 to show you what I mean by pushing in the mountain.

Screen Shot 4105.PNG

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cathy
Thanks, I fixed stair 1, but I'll probably keep stairs 2 mostly the same, imo it doesn't look that bad and I have other maps I need to finish lol.

Speaking of:

Screen Shot 4106.PNGScreen Shot 4107.PNGScreen Shot 4108.PNG
I already noticed I forgot to detail the little floaty rocks in the darkness in pic 1 and will get right on that.

Btw I'm gonna have a picture over it to make it dark, please let me know if this is too dark. Like, I still want players to be able to see a little bit, and I don't have any other monitors to check on.
Should I lower the opacity of the pic?
Screen Shot 4109.PNG

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Elissiaro Been following your work here, quite impressed and nice maps, even before starting to fix things up. So great job on your maps :D

That said, when it comes to lighting, some might disagree with me here, but I think it comes down the the atmosphere and feeling you wanna build in the cave. This can be affected by key factors as lighting, audio and effects (like adding fog). Personally, I like the lighting in the cave, as it puts the focus on the player, and lowers the sight around you. This is both realistic and can work as an advantage depending on how you use it in story telling and gameplay.

If your worried about it being too dark, you could add a little lantern that has a glow around the character, while still having the area in the distance dimly lit.

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@h0tWalker
Thanks! :D
I was mostly worried about the difference in monitors. Like, does it look pitch black outside the circle of light, or do you kinda see the other rooms a bit?
It's supposed to be spooky and a bit dangerous, but still... Like, navigatable.
Adding a lantern would work to make it brighter, but would change the whole atmosphere.

(maybe if I have time later I can add a lantern that also makes monsters more likely to spawn >: ) since my idea right now is monsters only live in the darkness.)

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
While I tend to like little video snippets for my game's previews, I do have some maps too? Here y'go.

MosswoodPreview.png

TriuneChurch.png

unknown.png

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was mostly worried about the difference in monitors. Like, does it look pitch black outside the circle of light, or do you kinda see the other rooms a bit?
Across my two monitors, the IPS has a light shade of warm white I'd say, which clearly displays everything on screen. On the other monitor, TN, things are darker outside the circle. The circle has more of a cold white color. So easy to forget when you primarily use one monitor, so I totally see where your coming from. IPS and VA are pretty good on colors and contrasts, while TN lacks that, hence the cold white compared to my IPS warm white I guess : o

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@RachelTheSeeker
So Moswood - its a bit empty feeling for my taste. Could use some Stones, twigs, longgrass etc to break up the monotomy of the walkable area.

Temple - its a little Bright but i like it. Had a very nostalgic feel to it aswell.

Hubtown - i like the general lay-out however it suffers a bit from the same emptyness as the forest. It doesn't look like anyone lives there. Also the Windows seem to small for the buildings.

Ofc all of this is Just my opinnion and im Just a single old fool who doesn't know better either xD

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@RachelTheSeeker
So Moswood - its a bit empty feeling for my taste. Could use some Stones, twigs, longgrass etc to break up the monotomy of the walkable area.

Temple - its a little Bright but i like it. Had a very nostalgic feel to it aswell.

Hubtown - i like the general lay-out however it suffers a bit from the same emptyness as the forest. It doesn't look like anyone lives there. Also the Windows seem to small for the buildings.

Ofc all of this is Just my opinnion and im Just a single old fool who doesn't know better either xD
Fair enough on the emptiness! To be honest, this isn't the first time I've heard that for my maps. I just worry about making it claustrophobic with irrelevant set pieces, but I get ya there. If anything, the town map didn't have any NPCs when I took the screenshot?

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Fair enough on the emptiness! To be honest, this isn't the first time I've heard that for my maps. I just worry about making it claustrophobic with irrelevant set pieces, but I get ya there.
That's why you shouldnt put in Many large set-pieces. However things like small rocks, pebbles, twigs, etc arent set-pieces. See Them more as a way to add texture to your canvas.

If anything, the town map didn't have any NPCs when I took the screenshot?
Nope xD
However what i am reffering to is 'proof of life'. Disturbances, oddities, etc. Ppl leave in their wake as they live somewhere...

This van be things like :
Litter
A Parked bike
Gardening tools left outside
A bucket next to a well
Crates, bags, etc waiting to be used
Footprints or scoffmarks in the ground

Things that are there because ppl live there. 'mindless' things to show ppl have been there and are active there - if that makes any sense lol

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Elissiaro I have a good, solid mid-range laptop and on my monitor it's virtually impossible to see anything beyond the player. This is on a bright sunny morning, so I imagine it would be more difficult still in poorer lighting. If I peer closely at the monitor I can make out a bit of an outline, but my belief is that many players could struggle to navigate those maps.

@RachelTheSeeker I'm with Finnuval on the desirability of a bit of floor clutter on that first map. Without it things look a bit clinical, with the grass looking more like what you'd find in a municipal public park than the ground in a forest. I think I would also be tempted to edit what looks like black as the shading in the trees. A warmer, softer dark brown maybe? Don't know which engine you are using, but there are edits kicking around (Pandamaru, iirc) which have an edit hinting at the shape of trees further in. Even if the tiles don't fit your engine they could be a useful reference point.

For your town - paths would look more natural if they went up to the door, rather than stopping some way off. It's not as if people jump the last bit, so the grass would be worn away. Same with paths going to and from the stairs - a bit of shift-click mapping would do it. There are houses here, presumably with some sort of kitchen and heating, but I don't see any chimneys. Also, I am puzzled about why there is a camp fire in the middle of a town. Again the grass is somewhat over perfect, perhaps the odd weed in a corner, a scuffed up patch where children have played, that sort of thing.

For the Temple - 3 different mats in front of the statues? I think it would look better with just one stretch of carpet. I assume that they are different because the 3 represent 3 different 'beings' (goddesses, spirits, whatever), but personally I don't think it quite works.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My home state baseball team is going back to the World Series for the first time since 1999. I remember when they went in 1995 and won, that was like the best day of my life. (I'm a huge baseball fan and yes I'm talking about the Braves).
FL Studio is a huge step up from LMMS but I'm having such a tough time with it D:<
The new Dune movie reminds me of the game Dune 2 made by Westwood. A quality product on its own, but extremely disloyal to its source of inspiration.
Terrible Writing Advice, you've done it again.
1635026211997.png
Feeling like my new profile picture is nice. Thinking of making it semi-permanent, does any one has an opinion? Does it look too evil or does it work as a public profile picture? :)
Bishiba.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBXO