alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Elissiaro, really nice work sweetie! Yo mountains look tons better now! Ladders great. :biggrin:

Cave design looks nice, got no complaint. 'Cept maybe the floaty bits, dunno if they are necessary? Personally I'd just eliminate them, buuut... that's me. :biggrin: Also I'm with @Kes, cave too dark! But then my preference with dark maps is always, well, less dark!

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've been working a lot on the atmosphere of my small game over the past 2 weeks~ I just enjoy parallax mapping so, so much. Can't wait to get back to making more maps... but rn I'm stuck with pixeling sprites, haha.

Screenshot04.png

I wish everyone a lovely day! :3

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Plueschkatze You have very good atmosphere there, and the amount of darkness/obscurity is enough to give the atmosphere while still leaving the player able to navigate the map.

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok since some people thought the caves were too dark...
So here's 4 pics to compare. Imo 250 or 230 opacity looks best. I can kinda barely see the 3 healergirl events i used to change the dark level for these.
190 is way too bright imo.
What does everyone else think looks best? @alice_gristle @Kes @h0tWalker

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Elissiaro My eyesight isnt the best so 210 is dark enough for me.
230 is where i begin to strain to see what is what.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Elissiaro 210 to 230 works, but if you hope that people make videos of your game, 210 for sure, as encoding often isn't friendly to dark areas and makes them even darker.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Elissiaro I'd go for 210 myself, not only for the reasons already mentioned but also because the player can see the exit. That gives an anchor point for exploring, as without it I think it would be quite difficult for a player to know where they are in relation to where they have already been. No one enjoys aimlessly wandering around lost.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Elissiaro

I think 210 looks the best, it's dark enough to make it seem like a cave but still is light enough so the player has an idea of where to go.

Elissiaro

aka MsLilly
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So many people saying 210... But I really like darker better.... But streamers/youtubers and people with low vision... TTATT
You know what, I'm just gonna give the player a Light Option selection at the start... And an item to change it later if they want. That way I don't have worry about this all over again later when I maybe make some night maps.

Speaking of maps...
FT0lMDq.png
I'll probably edit the chicken coop to fit in better later... But right now it's like, 2:40 am here and I need sleeeeep...

Cathy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone,
I'm making the inside of the house in parallax and I have my first problems.

I'm trying to make a sideview stairs to walk on and tried to block all around it with empty events so the player can't get off but it doesn't work, the program doesn't find the path. I'm using diagonal mouvement plugin.
I found that topic with some script but it gives me an error when I modify the code. Topic

Sans titre-2.png

Does someone knows a solution ?

EDIT : I managed to make the script work with the keyboard directions but it doesn't with mouse clicking.

Last edited:

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone,
I'm making the inside of the house in parallax and I have my first problems.

Does someone knows a solution ?
Don't expect to get help trouble shooting things on this thread as it's a screenshot / map showcase. To properly get help sorting out scripts and other problems, you should go to the appropriate forum and create a thread there. That way you'll get proper and faster help from people who knows things related to this. I can't speak for everyone, but others like myself don't know coding, and can't really provide a solution for this, thus, you should create a new thread as stated by Shaz, a moderator in the very same post you linked to :)

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all, just playing around testing some tiles I have been working on, just wanted to ask what do you think,
The last picture with the houses in it, was the older version of my game just to show the difference in the graphics from now to then, mind it was also parallaxed
New new graphics I turned into tiles but still have some work to do on them as there are a few tears or clipping,

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 26
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 32
  • size reference.JPG
    size reference.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 34

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@T3-mith This is very much a question of personal preference, but I do wonder about the relative size of objects.

On the lower level of the 2nd map you have trees that are only slightly bigger than a character and a milk churn and bucket that are only marginally smaller. I think that the size of the trees on the higher level should be your minimum. The lower level ones can't pass off as shrubs because they have what are clearly tree trunks. I would like to suggest that you edit things like the bucket and milk churn to make them smaller. One way of doing this (assuming that you are using either MV or MZ) would be to make them using the 32x32 size of earlier engines. That way you could keep a consistent scale to things.

Next is where we really do get fully into personal preference. Your grass is rather 'cheerful'. I find the hue quite glaring.

Finally, and this is now outside the realm of personal preference, the repeat pattern in your grass is very marked. I think it might look better if you toned down the dark blob you have on each tile.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Elissiaro For me, 230 is OK, but would probably go lower to be safe. 250 is definitely too dark for me.

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@T3-mith This is very much a question of personal preference, but I do wonder about the relative size of objects.

On the lower level of the 2nd map you have trees that are only slightly bigger than a character and a milk churn and bucket that are only marginally smaller. I think that the size of the trees on the higher level should be your minimum. The lower level ones can't pass off as shrubs because they have what are clearly tree trunks. I would like to suggest that you edit things like the bucket and milk churn to make them smaller. One way of doing this (assuming that you are using either MV or MZ) would be to make them using the 32x32 size of earlier engines. That way you could keep a consistent scale to things.

Next is where we really do get fully into personal preference. Your grass is rather 'cheerful'. I find the hue quite glaring.

Finally, and this is now outside the realm of personal preference, the repeat pattern in your grass is very marked. I think it might look better if you toned down the dark blob you have on each tile.
Thank you for your comment,
this was more or less a test run I'm planning on scaling up most of everything as the characters are going to be scaling in size also when I finish my sprites

In wanted to show the difference in the levels of the map, I can't do this with the characters, but I was thinking I can make the trees smaller on the ground level,

For the grass I think I'm going to be editing that a little more, drop the hue and make the tone a little more flat, that or make larger grass tiles and have possibly a full page dedicated to just grass, that's problematic also though, as I will lose a full page for grass...

More or less I'm trying to take the tiles as far as I can without parallax though I was originally going to parallax every map, started to think if I can go without on some maps it will drop the size and open up other options as well

Btw I use mv,

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@T3-mith
but I was thinking I can make the trees smaller on the ground level
I don't think this achieves your objective. They don't, in and of themselves, say anything about the differing levels of the map - that is done (perfectly adequately, imo) by your use of cliff tiles. Also, unless you redraw them, it is obvious that they are reduced in size in PhotoShop/GIMP/whatever because of the blurring. The lack of crisp detail that your other tiles have does make them stand out in a negative way.

I sympathise with your predicament. I myself spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to get tiles to work together to create the impression I want, so I know it's not easy.

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@T3-mith

Also, unless you redraw them, it is obvious that they are reduced in size in PhotoShop/GIMP/whatever because of the blurring. The lack of crisp detail that your other tiles have does make them stand out in a negative way.
yeah i resized these for the test though funny enough i only made them bigger, and ran the sharpening tool over them, minor edits just for the test though im planning on making some more edits possibly some new sprites, new sprites would go well as i plan on hand coloring my character sprites,

Dezue

pat reon.com/peninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The WIP of our room for the Reach the Stars Jam :LZSjoy:
It's fun to work with RPG Maker again, kinda nostalgic if one can call it that. Here's hoping for another IGMC after this jam haha
Enjoy and stay funky!
Dez

L4mdDmE.png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Uugh, got a passive aggressive complaint at work and now I'm not sure how to respond...
I really wish I could find work with a similar schedule to my gf(10-5 or 11-6)
I need some moneys >.>
I didn't realize that Deers can grow so big... I almost hit one while going home from work - phew... approx 10cm separated us from accident... (tomorrow link to video from my dashcam). I'm too shocked to think straight.
Just watched a very good drama. It left this very heavy sadness inside me T.T

As a game dev, there's always this other feeling I have after, for example, watching a sad drama: "Understanding +1!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuri18