ThreeSixNine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since everyone is showing off their forests, here's a small one I made for Battle Castle that leads to an abandoned mine.
Can anyone spot the squirrel?
View attachment 196071
I see the squirrel! Its white, facing left right in front of a bush about 1/4 of the way in from the left. There's 3 bushes in a triangle, its in front of the left most bush.

EDIT: It's the RIGHT most bush in the group lol, I was on my way to bed when I posted this.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@T3-mith If you hadn't told me that this was a slum, I would not have guessed it. Ofc, it's difficult to say definitively, because as slum is always a slum in relation to something else. Those houses are in good condition, plenty of space, even got their own gardens.

Lots of small details don't fit with a slum. e.g. an astonishing number of lamp posts. Why are there 3 round the dirt patch top right corner? A lamp post every few steps on the main path, and with three more stray ones top centre. Everything in sight is neat and relatively tidy. The scale is too small, even when I zoom in, to be sure of what that is top left corner. It looks like an elaborate book and a couple of banners, and I couldn't tie that in with a slum.

You say that most people are now born in the slums, but it doesn't look like it. I'd be inclined to remove all those gardens and perhaps put them into a large communal area where you have all those lamp posts and dirt patches, and then pack in more houses on the released space. You could, for example have a long structure (one roof) with 3 or 4 doors, each with a window, and the same number of chimneys, rather than having each one as a neat detached house. That's what people do in slums because 1. It uses fewer resources to build and 2. shared walls help to keep the house warm with less fuel. A couple of those would easily double your population within the same space.

You are right about needing something to give the impression of gaining height as you go north. At the moment there is no visual difference between the bottom of the path and the top. Rather than stairs (complex and expensive to build, so less likely if they are only leading down to slums) you might try a few simple ramps, something like this:

1626873159503.png

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is it that half concealed something behind the tree to the left of the suspicious man-in-a-hood?

Basically a nice map, but I do have a couple of queries.

This cannot be a constructed fire break in the forest which has become overgrown a bit, as there are trees of the same size as those in the blocks of trees. So the absolute straight lines of those blocks looks a bit odd. Could I suggest that you vary them somewhat - take out a tree or two here and there, push the line forward a tree or two elsewhere in order to vary it up a bit and make it appear a little more natural.

Secondly, those two unvarying blocks seem a bit heavy. Maybe make an internal gap/glade within them (which the player cannot access) so as to relieve the sheer solidness of them?
I had a very difficult time trying to make the forest look natural, while keeping the player within specific areas. The single trees currently are only impassible at the base, and the player can walk under/behind any other part of the tree. I custom-made the large tree blocks to decrease the amount of map the player could walk through, but I might just narrow the top and bottom so there's less room overall.

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@T3-mith If you hadn't told me that this was a slum, I would not have guessed it. Ofc, it's difficult to say definitively, because as slum is always a slum in relation to something else. Those houses are in good condition, plenty of space, even got their own gardens.

Lots of small details don't fit with a slum. e.g. an astonishing number of lamp posts. Why are there 3 round the dirt patch top right corner? A lamp post every few steps on the main path, and with three more stray ones top centre. Everything in sight is neat and relatively tidy. The scale is too small, even when I zoom in, to be sure of what that is top left corner. It looks like an elaborate book and a couple of banners, and I couldn't tie that in with a slum.

You say that most people are now born in the slums, but it doesn't look like it. I'd be inclined to remove all those gardens and perhaps put them into a large communal area where you have all those lamp posts and dirt patches, and then pack in more houses on the released space. You could, for example have a long structure (one roof) with 3 or 4 doors, each with a window, and the same number of chimneys, rather than having each one as a neat detached house. That's what people do in slums because 1. It uses fewer resources to build and 2. shared walls help to keep the house warm with less fuel. A couple of those would easily double your population within the same space.

You are right about needing something to give the impression of gaining height as you go north. At the moment there is no visual difference between the bottom of the path and the top. Rather than stairs (complex and expensive to build, so less likely if they are only leading down to slums) you might try a few simple ramps, something like this:

View attachment 196095
thanks again for your reply ^^

with the dirt, its meant to be a pathway, when i parallax im planning to join that line of dirt up so that its more visible as a path,

the book and map, table and knights are apart of Crystandale guard, there down in the slum to make sure that none of the slum dwellers come up to the main city without permission, though i think it looks a bit cheesy so im thinking about removing the table and book,
(note npc i put in just for show, they are going to have there sprites changed at least, though most likely im going to delete all the npcs i have added in already and just keep the maps,

farms... yeah i was not too fond of them, was planning to rot most of the vegi with parallax, though i would rather more houses, and have the food trade as originally intended, (growing underground at the roots of the world tree, also small amounts of food given by the guards and traded in the underground market,)
story line allows for growing there own food, though most would rot given lack of sun light, thinking if i keep the farms i would like to make them allot smaller,

each house is going to be worn down with parallax though i was trying to not parallax too much though i like the idea of making units, possibly even make shift homes, such as tents, given though the houses are apart of the original slums apart of the main story i have to keep them other wise the one down the bottom looks really out of place,

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 13

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi everyone! What do you think of this cave map? I was thinking of using some XP tilesets because I like the rounder walls as opposed to VX Ace's square ones. I made a test map.

This is what it looks like in the editor:

1627094634090.png

I'm also trying to decide what lighting effect looks better. This is what it looks like in-game with the first lighting effect:

1627094776231.png

A second version with a flashlight effect:

1627093559716.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@dreamfall887 I've used XP tiles in some places for the same reason as you. It can work well as long as you are consistent. The map is laid out well, but there are some inconsistencies. If you look at your rock pillar/standing stone (never know what to call it) extreme top left corner, that works well. In terms of tone and brightness it blends in. Now compare it with the other two types of freestanding rocks, and the little groups of pebbles. They are much lighter and brighter and clash with the softer tones of the ground and walls. I would edit them to make them more compatible. Where you use a spider web on a straight section of wall, that works. Using it on a curved corner doesn't (beside the cave, and bottom right corner). It is clearly a flat object on a curved background.

As for lighting, have you tried to combine those? The blue hue in the first option is attractive, imo, and more cave-like. Can you have that as well as the flashlight? For your flashlight graphic, could I suggest that you blur the edges of your central section. The transition between the 2 lighting levels is too abrupt.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@dreamfall887 the basic lay-out is Nice. I agree with @Kes on the points he made.

I personally think the first lighting is best. And not dark enough for a flashlight/torch effect to be needed. Perhaps have a wall torch here and there for added atmosphere tho.

Additionally the floors could have a bit more dirt/rubble or mushrooms to break it up a bit.

And that's my two cents :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Plueschkatze I like the composition and atmosphere of that map. Well done.

There is one thing bothering me, though. The copper trees are taller than the bronze ones, so I would have expected the tops of them (on the left side) to catch at least as much sunlight as the smaller ones do. Perhaps a little more brightness to match with the bronze ones? And a rope or something to let the bucket down into the well?

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you @Kes and @Finnuval for the feedback. :) I'll think I'll stick with the blue lighting for now and add more details to the map. I think I'll edit the rocks too and make them darker, so they don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a randomly generated map. These map types will be used for quick 'dungeons' in my game. Just finished coding this version which has automatic map details set on it. All maps generated are random but this one and the one on my twitter are differently structured.Juno 24 Jul 2021 21_14_36.png

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a cozy old hut in the middle of the forest! ;3
For some reason this map for Everdine is the one that took me the longest up until now! Haha.

View attachment 196778
This scene looks very cinematic, with a lot of post-processing on it, and because of that the character sprite stands out a LOT. It has sharp edges in stark contrast to the super blurred and soft effect of everything else in the scene. It does still look nice and that's a bit of a nitpick, mind you, but I figured I could make you aware of it just in case it's something you'd like to fix. Lessening the post-processing just a little could go a long way.
Something else you could do is add all of the lighting as a fog layer on top of everything in-game instead of in Photoshop or something. That would help soften up the character and help bring them into the scene.

This is a randomly generated map. These map types will be used for quick 'dungeons' in my game. Just finished coding this version which has automatic map details set on it. All maps generated are random but this one and the one on my twitter are differently structured.View attachment 196803
That's pretty good for a randomly generated map! I kind of want to see the whole thing. I would suggest trying to make the long grass appear in patches more often instead of lines, and making the water less square.
I have to ask, are these maps generated in the game or are they generated out of the game by some external program? If it is the latter, touching things up after they have been generated would be a very efficient way to make maps that don't look randomly generated even though they are.

Now, for my map. I have finally finished the snowy mountains I posted a while ago! I was done with the left side back then and have now finished the right side. Again, keep in mind that some things might look a little weird with the cliffs being a bit empty but a lot of those places are usually out of the players' visibility, and if they aren't it is intentional. These mountains are feared even by the people who live near them for their heavy amounts of snow and their steep cliffs. At the top right, you can see the Dragon's Spine, a deadly pass that holds an ancient secret which only few have survived and none have remembered.

The blurred spots are hidden because they contain spoilers!
1627213685098.png
This grouping of 7 maps had to be scaled down quite a bit. If you'd like to see the 50% scale version ( 16 MB ) you can view it here: https://i.ibb.co/SBTxRbw/Big-Chungus-PROMO.png

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This scene looks very cinematic, with a lot of post-processing on it, and because of that the character sprite stands out a LOT. It has sharp edges in stark contrast to the super blurred and soft effect of everything else in the scene. It does still look nice and that's a bit of a nitpick, mind you, but I figured I could make you aware of it just in case it's something you'd like to fix. Lessening the post-processing just a little could go a long way.
Something else you could do is add all of the lighting as a fog layer on top of everything in-game instead of in Photoshop or something. That would help soften up the character and help bring them into the scene.

That's pretty good for a randomly generated map! I kind of want to see the whole thing. I would suggest trying to make the long grass appear in patches more often instead of lines, and making the water less square.
I have to ask, are these maps generated in the game or are they generated out of the game by some external program? If it is the latter, touching things up after they have been generated would be a very efficient way to make maps that don't look randomly generated even though they are.

Now, for my map. I have finally finished the snowy mountains I posted a while ago! I was done with the left side back then and have now finished the right side. Again, keep in mind that some things might look a little weird with the cliffs being a bit empty but a lot of those places are usually out of the players' visibility, and if they aren't it is intentional. These mountains are feared even by the people who live near them for their heavy amounts of snow and their steep cliffs. At the top right, you can see the Dragon's Spine, a deadly pass that holds an ancient secret which only few have survived and none have remembered.

The blurred spots are hidden because they contain spoilers!
View attachment 196835
This grouping of 7 maps had to be scaled down quite a bit. If you'd like to see the 50% scale version ( 16 MB ) you can view it here: https://i.ibb.co/SBTxRbw/Big-Chungus-PROMO.png

That's a lot of detail for the mountain cliffsides, looks like a lotta work too

Concerning aesthetics, your map is pretty on point but for space and event processing, it looks like it might occupy some room and resources but that's just my foci.

As for the auto generated map, they are made purely in game by just tossing in some parameters. Getting the auto tiles to work was a pain in the backside but now with the code sorted out, making stuff less square should be simple enough eventually. Map contours won't be tho unless I make a contour matrix and set up layers for such

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's a lot of detail for the mountain cliffsides, looks like a lotta work too
It was an absurd amount of work. 50+ hours for sure.

Concerning aesthetics, your map is pretty on point but for space and event processing, it looks like it might occupy some room and resources but that's just my foci.
Each of the maps (there are 7 of them) were running at 30-40 FPS on my laptop in everything but the "prefer maximum performance" power mode and being plugged in. It has a 3rd gen i7 laptop CPU in it and a simple GPU that only activates on those aforementioned settings, so I don't think anything relatively modern should have a problem! Regardless, 30FPS is still a fine point for a single-player RPG if you're playing on weaker hardware or trying to conserve battery life :)

I wish you luck in the random generation system, it seems complicated but I'm sure you'll be able to get it looking better than it already does, which is certainly a huge step-up from the default random dungeon generator that RPG Maker has already!

superkoopa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Just a piece I'd like to share, more so just concept art, practicing lighting and mood. I can imagine a point and click/survival horror type of game whilst looking at this.

Edit- A quick mock up I've made showing how that would look within a game

Last edited:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, I'm looking for some feedback on my Equipment's stats page.

Edit: Hmm, looks like I should darken my window background or decrease the opacity.

Last edited:

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, I'm looking for some feedback on my Equipment's stats page.

Edit: Hmm, looks like I should darken my window background or decrease the opacity.

I'm not sure what to make of it, seems a bit confusing to get into initially

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure what to make of it, seems a bit confusing to get into initially
Which part are you referring to specifically? Do you mean like menu navigation? Or the contents of the item's stats page?

Edit: Whoops, looks like I forgot to update the item description for the Bow & Staff...

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Dust Do you have some sort of rays overlay as well as the shimmer on the crystals? I was trying to make out what the source is of the rays falling from top right to bottom left. They seem a bit excessive on top of all the glitter from the crystals.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Worked on a cutscene skip domino effect using Maker Systems' script as the basis. Basically if I have a batch of cutscenes in a row on different maps, now when you skip one cutscene it will skip the entire set. No more spamming X to skip a scene every new map.

Oh and it will work regardless of where you do it from in the set. Convenient!
seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blazeymix