Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Which part are you referring to specifically? Do you mean like menu navigation? Or the contents of the item's stats page?

Edit: Whoops, looks like I forgot to update the item description for the Bow & Staff...
The option for weapon data but it could be that the game video recording is too small

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hello hello hello again, revised a map that i did taking some suggestions on board wondering what you think,

note that i have not currently added in doors or windows to most of the houses, though planning on adding them in soon, currently planning on adding in some dead trees, though thinking with the trees that i may be parallaxing them in,

note that this is a slums area, there is also a underground area that has people in it also, as well as a market,

thinking about the world tree map, given the world tree is so big, (its meant to be able to hold a castle and city in one of the world trees)
having some issues with the tree it self as i cant find any assets big enough, though i was about to make, edit one so its big enough, the only way that i can get it into game is parallax or making it into a character sprite and just have it static.

Attachments

• slums 2.PNG
    slums 2.PNG
    653.5 KB · Views: 20
  • slums zoom 1.PNG
    slums zoom 1.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • slums zoom 2.PNG
    slums zoom 2.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • slums zoom 3.PNG
    slums zoom 3.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • slums zoom 4.PNG
    slums zoom 4.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • slums zoom 5.PNG
    slums zoom 5.PNG
    841.8 KB · Views: 10
  • slums zoom 6.PNG
    slums zoom 6.PNG
    816.1 KB · Views: 16

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@T3-mith Much improved, though in the map slum 3, you still have a path which is flat even though one end is supposed to be on a much higher/lower level than the other.

As for your tree, I have a tree (green, brown/bronze, blue and pink versions) which are enormous. I can't give you a link to the original because I can't find it (made by Nyanko Temple, and all I get are links to that place), free for commercial use with credits, but if you are interested, pm me and I can give you a copy. Don't want to hijack this thread with resources.

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@T3-mith Nice mapping.

As far as large trees, I use a combination of sprites/events and map tiles to achieve this. I would say using sprites and events is the easiest way. One advantage of this, if you're insane ambitious enough, you can even animate the trees!

Really old map/tiles here, but this is a redwood tree example using tiles. I use TileD for mapping which makes tilesets and layering much more versatile, but you could probably pull off something like this with the default mapping system, too.

EppnVmEWMAALQFz.jpg

Anyway, I finally made another battle background. Thanks to all who gave feedback about my previous battle screens! Any thoughts on this one?

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@T3-mith Nice mapping.

As far as large trees, I use a combination of sprites/events and map tiles to achieve this. I would say using sprites and events is the easiest way. One advantage of this, if you're insane ambitious enough, you can even animate the trees!

Really old map/tiles here, but this is a redwood tree example using tiles. I use TileD for mapping which makes tilesets and layering much more versatile, but you could probably pull off something like this with the default mapping system, too.

View attachment 197388

Anyway, I finally made another battle background. Thanks to all who gave feedback about my previous battle screens! Any thoughts on this one?

thanks lol, yeah i am that insane, already have a animated size demo sprite, and its not even the finished version, lol,

superkoopa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I've been posting the progress of this map recently, I think I'm finished with it now. I'd love to get some feedback, maybe some ideas for which I can add to the scene.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@superkoopa I think you still need to do a bit more work on the animation. It looks like the cat is on something that's causing it to slide from side to side, rather than looking as if it itself is moving.

superkoopa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@Kes You're right, I guess it could work if the cat was ready to pounce, but it isnt! lol I want to add a few more frames to the rain splashing effect as well. Though, the map itself looks fine?

"@superkoopa The map itself looks fine. What you will need to test is: it works well as an image. Does it work well as a map? How easy is it to navigate? How many steps can the player take before you need another map? That sort of thing. In other words, how good is its functionality? This is always a question with any map."

@Kes I think it serves it's purpose, this screen is the first map of the game and serves as an introduction to the characters, story and setting. The connecting maps will be much larger in space giving the player a much bigger playing field.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@superkoopa The map itself looks fine. What you will need to test is: it works well as an image. Does it work well as a map? How easy is it to navigate? How many steps can the player take before you need another map? That sort of thing. In other words, how good is its functionality? This is always a question with any map.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I want to get better at making bedroom areas of houses and castles. I struggle at knowing what details to add and where to place them. For instance, I added a couple urns to this map but it still feels kinda "empty", and I'm not sure if they look random and out of place.

Advice / demonstration would be much appreciated! This is the MV rtp.

Attachments

• room.png
    room.png
    390.6 KB · Views: 23

Synrec

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want to get better at making bedroom areas of houses and castles. I struggle at knowing what details to add and where to place them. For instance, I added a couple urns to this map but it still feels kinda "empty", and I'm not sure if they look random and out of place.

Advice / demonstration would be much appreciated! This is the MV rtp.
Looks properly placed to me.

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
FP.png
I have been working the whole semester with a partner who makes the sound and music on a project that shows off the stuff we do at our campus if you want to get the bachelor degree I have (as part of getting my master xD).
This is one of the more recent "stages", the obligtory project you have to make. This is going to be something quite different as it is not a playable game, but more a giant cutscene we will use to show what the degree includes on a side what students with that degree can actually make.

@jonthefox
There are some things I would adjust:
First, I would place the whole carpet in an area where I actually step on, as the stone floor looks pretty cold and a bed does not need warm feet ;3
Second, I never had a single single person bed not placed on the wall, as I only need to enter on one side anyways and save room that way (if more beds are involed like in an inn or we talk about double beds that does not apply)
And third: The stairs!
a35a5658c9506a4978ca5ca9deabad6968023121.gif
This gif by Astarotte and PandaMaru is pure gold to show why stairs never have the same length as the vertical wall they lead up.
Besides that, it's a neat bedroom you have there^^

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@jonthefox In addition to what Avery said, I have a few suggestions.
First, you have no form of artifical lighting that I can see in the main part of the bedroom. At the moment the occupant would have to go down the stairs, extinquish the torches and then climb the stairs and get into bed in the dark. Unlikely, I think. Also, I'm not convinced that torches would be used in an ordinary house, much more likely to be candles.

Second, I'd add some curtains to the windows, as very few people go to sleep with no way of cutting out the early morning light.

And finally - pots and furnishings. Who has pots stored in their bedrooms? Would not a chair for their clothes or for sitting on be more appropriate? They have drawers for small things, but most people would also have a long cupboard for hanging things up. If you put that cupboard against the wall next to the drawers, you could move the table next to the bed so that the occupant could put things on it. Or it could go into the middle of the room and you could have a small bedside cabinet next to the bed.

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@jonthefox
I don't consider myself a mapping expert, but hopefully this helps.
Before I jump into details, I always like to approach the interior design with "Who lives here?" or "What's the purpose of this room?" as this creates the setting and expectations for the room. You of course have standard room which are open and empty, which can feel a little less interesting and easily get overlooked, often interpreted as "filler rooms" by the player, hence the thought process.

Now, for the main chances. I added another tile for the path to the stairs in order to add detail and decorations to the entrance to set expectations. Most people want to present themselves well and often show that they are better than they are, especially to strangers.

Following that, I pushed the stairs one tile back from the wall to create depth. I always felt stairs having the same height and tile placement as the wall to lack perspective, which is personal preference, and there is nothing wrong with doing it the other way. After all, there is no right and wrong as we all have different visions for how to do this. To cap this off, I added a little fence to trail upwards to further add to this.

I added curtains which was mentioned by @Kes (which, btw, is gods gift to this thread, always a helpful little bird), in the same color as the carpet to follow the color theme. The desk and bookshelf was placed to follow what you did on your map, with a little clock toggled in there to add to the personality of the owner. Following that, you have a table by the fence with a bird, some wine bottles and a letter on the floor (with wine drops under the letter). The bird cage was just random and fit the table, but also eludes to what the person here might be up to.

The room itself presents someone who presents themselves as someone of high tastes, and as you go up the stairs, looks a bit into academics or studies. The cage might be interpreted differently by each player, while the one thing in common is the wine bottles, with the added touch of the letter doused in it at the floor. Perhaps everything isn't as it seems after all?

Light source is on the table by the entrance, desk and windows.

edit:
Could probably have added a carpet or something on the first floor as that feels empty now P:
Unlike the pots being tucked to the side, I like to put things in center to occupy the space, and leave it empty on the side to create the illusion of it being "full", yet also spacious. To not leave it too empty, I added the droplets and letter (droplets will still remain after the letter is removed).

Attachments

• Ata.png
    Ata.png
    121 KB · Views: 43

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@jonthefox I agree with you that it is a nice enough map, but it might be worth thinking about a bit more so as to extend your mapping design repetoire. Here, the design question is one of context.

The map that h0twalker produced is of a very different type to yours. It is the room of someone who is comparatively wealthy. That ornate vase, the picture, the swanky writing desk, the rich curtains all go to indicate someone with money to spare. Your original looked like it belonged to someone of more average income. One or the other fits the rest of the house, they both can't. So have a look at the rest of your house, and think about who lives in it. Is that person/family wealthy or not? Every map tells a story, whether you intend it to or not. Does the story of the wealthy individual fit into the story of the rest of the house and the NPCs living there?

Secondly, does that room still work as a bedroom? h0twalker wrote:
I added another tile for the path to the stairs in order to add detail and decorations to the entrance to set expectations. Most people want to present themselves well and often show that they are better than they are, especially to strangers
But - who expects strangers to walk into their bedroom? Who tries to "set expectations" in that context? Take the bed out and it becomes a study, where those questions might be answered with a Yes. But that is not what this is supposed to be. It no longer looks as if it functions as a bedroom, but as a study with a bed in it - and would someone wealthy enough for those furnishings have their bed there?

Finally, they have repeated what Shaz pointed out (and I agree with her) - no one puts most of an expensive carpet under the bed leaving only bare boards to walk on. Whichever style you go for, your original or this, that carpet would be much better, imo, to be moved into the centre of the room where it can fulfil its function.

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
@h0tWalker you also got the stairs wrong.
stairs.png
The only way a 2 tile stairs would fit a 2 tile wall was if it is a strange steps glued to the wall situation as in the left.
If we assume that the stairs have an angle of 45°, we have a situation as in the right, I translated 1 tile to 1m to make the math more understandable.

If your wall is 2m high and your stairs should be usable, it has to protude into the room to some degree - here also 2m to get the acceptable 45 degree angle.
So what we see from our maker perspective is something that has the legth of the green line.
Now for the math:
a^2 + b^2 = c^2, with a and b being the short sides, since the angle between floor and wall is 90°. And a = b here, as both are 2m.
so:
2^2 + 2^2 = (green line length)^2
=> squareroot of 8 = green line length
=> ~2.83 = green line length
Which is pretty close to 3 tiles, making the stair much more believable if you add another of these tiles at the bottom.
Otherwise I always see what is on the left of my example instead of a usable stairs.
Eh... I hope that was understandable.

The pot with the huge plant next to the bed seems to be a bit weird, I would not like having plant parts in my face or bed when I lie there. Also the wine drips and the letter in the otherwise very tidy room seem off, unlike that is a plotpoint (like someone was abducted while holding it and drinking wine right now), it does not work for me in a clean environment. If I spill my beverage, I try to get rid of the mess as soon as I can ;3 The person living there probably does not want to have stains on the wooden boards.

Other than that, I 2nd with Kes.

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@h0tWalker you also got the stairs wrong.
Not gonna lie, I wasn't satisfied with the stairs, my lil raid group had a break so I quickly put it together in-between (hence the little edit add ons). That said, I felt it was gonna be one longer, but felt like it wasn't 100% right, and was leaning back and forth on it till I landed on it. Really appreciate taking the time to explain it properly :>
The pot with the huge plant next to the bed seems to be a bit weird, I would not like having plant parts in my face or bed when I lie there.
The plant smells nice though... and.. and... uhhh... fresh air? :(
Also the wine drips and the letter in the otherwise very tidy room seem off, unlike that is a plotpoint
The guy living there might have gotten a letter saying that his academic views aren't good enough for "Academic Weekly Magazine" and as he poured himself another glass, had the bottle fall over as he crumbled the letter, tossing it at the ground yelling "I'll show them academics, and they'll all regret the day they turned down <Your Name Here>!" as he slammed the bottle back on the floor, walked a bit tipsy over to the stairs and out of the room / building. Or so one might imagine from that little mess in that tidy little place. It's the little things :D

Sepheyer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So, my project is Little Red Riding Hood, except adjusted for the modern world.

Here is the granma's house where the Little Red Running Shoes will run into the Grey Wolves operatives:

Ground Floor

Map024.png

Attic

Map025.png

Basement

Map026.png

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Worked on a cutscene skip domino effect using Maker Systems' script as the basis. Basically if I have a batch of cutscenes in a row on different maps, now when you skip one cutscene it will skip the entire set. No more spamming X to skip a scene every new map.

Oh and it will work regardless of where you do it from in the set. Convenient!
seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blazeymix