Momonica

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
bonito.jpeg

Don't get me wrong... it's NOT perfect at all, but I am happy how this turned out :) even if you can't see much in this screenshot. i just wanted to share
The grass is a little off too but I don't know how it could be better.

Edit:

I fixed it! Thank you to everyone who gave me tips! Maybe I'll change the tree for the other one but for now it's wayyy better.

Fiz.jpg

Last edited:

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really hope that door on the left house is not the front door :D

I wouldn't want to swim through the lake or shimmy on the wall to get to my door.

Also, just logically speaking, I'm not sure if there is much reason to have a well when you have a perfectly fine water source already in abundance. But worry not, I also made wells like that. But not "stranded" in the middle of the lake though.

I am also not a very prolific map-maker, but at the very least you deserve some credit for filling the map and make it look lively. Blank spaces are no fun to look at.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I do share @ScorchedGround concerns about the front door aswell as how is anyone getting water from that well? xD

That said I do like the fact that the houses have depth and seem proportionally sound.
And there isnt much 'dead-space" :)

Momonica

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really hope that door on the left house is not the front door :D

I wouldn't want to swim through the lake or shimmy on the wall to get to my door.

Also, just logically speaking, I'm not sure if there is much reason to have a well when you have a perfectly fine water source already in abundance. But worry not, I also made wells like that. But not "stranded" in the middle of the lake though.

I am also not a very prolific map-maker, but at the very least you deserve some credit for filling the map and make it look lively. Blank spaces are no fun to look at.
yep, it is the door! haha I'm not really great at making houses, but i had this idea that the houses you don't need to go through are not acessible to the players but are to the villagers (so you won't have a lot of doors saying you can't enter). Also I'm glad you notice that i tried to fill the map with as much as i could (I was kinda worried it was too much or too little information).

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
yep, it is the door! haha I'm not really great at making houses, but i had this idea that the houses you don't need to go through are not acessible to the players but are to the villagers (so you won't have a lot of doors saying you can't enter)
Just a tip but you could also do that by placing NPC's infront of their houses, crates blocking the way, etc. Anything really that doesn't make players wonder how the NPC actually gets home xD

Momonica

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do share @ScorchedGround concerns about the front door aswell as how is anyone getting water from that well? xD

That said I do like the fact that the houses have depth and seem proportionally sound.
And there isnt much 'dead-space" :)
oh thank you! Yeah I will take that well off but for now i don't know what to put in the place, so for now i will just let him be :kaocry:

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
oh thank you! Yeah I will take that well off but for now i don't know what to put in the place, so for now i will just let him be :kaocry:
Connect that piece to the field and smack a tree on there xD

(Preferably a large non rtp tree)

Momonica

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a tip but you could also do that by placing NPC's infront of their houses, crates blocking the way, etc. Anything really that doesn't make players wonder how the NPC actually gets home xD
That is a better idea yes, i don't know how I didn't come up with that before lol
Thanks for the tip i'll put a little path to the house then!

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
even if it's a bit to much water, I'm no mapper as well, but I take my
time to make it good looking.

there are some really nice mappers, but if you have fun making those
maps and fit the story you create, who cares?

maybe there is a side door to enter that house or you need a person
that makes a bridge for you, but it looks good, maybe not the best,
but specially not the worse though.

just have fun on mapping and the game you create, that what most
counts for everyone :)

AssumedPseudonym

Lawful Neutral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’ve been doing a lot of mapping for the project I’m working on, and I think it might be starting to get to me. I used the (almost) bog-standard Outside tileset, but none of the tiles I used for ground in this town were intended for use as ground.

Attachments

• 058-25x25-PortMaurovey.png
    058-25x25-PortMaurovey.png
    1 MB · Views: 29

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@AssumedPseudonym That can work, as long as you have them in the A2 slot with the correct passabilities set.

I notice that there are no chimneys - how do people cook and keep warm? The other thing I wondered was: if you are surrounded on 3 sides by water, would you make a water feature the centerpiece of the town? I think in those circumstances people might prefer to make the place 'special' by exotic flowers or a couple of trees, not more water.

AssumedPseudonym

Lawful Neutral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes — Nope, the only changes I’ve made are adding the B and C set from Inside as D and E (which is where the tables in front of the inn came from). The ground tiles are on A4. I did test it, though, and it does work. Apparently shift-click can work minor miracles.

The city itself is more of an island seaside resort and tourist port without the beach — I’d be playing Costa del Sol from FFVII for the map if I could get away with it. Water sort of is the focus of the place, but I did make an effort to add some greenery here and there around the town. (Trees are actually the main focus of most of the rest of the island.) I’m sort of handwaving the cooking part on the chimneys in favor of emphasizing a lack of need for heating. This was a conscious decision; most of my other towns do have chimneys and fireplaces.

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So I'm trying to make the battles look better since they use character sprites and this is something I've come up with:
2021_8_12_19_28_57_573_2379.png
I figured if it looks like a cool idea then I'll further spruce up the battlefields from there.
Be honest, does it look good or bad?

spillycup

resident cutiepie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@overlordmikey i do love the idea of using overworld sprites instead of battle sprites. it’s a lot more flexible and tbh it looks almost as good as the normal sprites to me. i kinda just think they look way too small? like there’s a ton of empty space, especially horizontally

maybe you could like shrink the window size a little? or maybe have a smaller frame in the middle of the screen where the battle can take place.. but also maybe sprucing up the map a little as you mentioned might do the trick..

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@overlordmikey I'll be honest and say that I really don't think that map works as a battleback. Picking up on what spillycup suggested, one way forward would be to make the battle scene more 'abstracted'.

Here is an example of what I mean, using your graphics. Doing the battleback itself took less than 3 minutes, and most of that was actually fiddling around getting your graphics. I used the snipping tool for speed, rather than proper screenshots, so sorry if it is a bit blurred.

1628888882396.png

You could play around with all sorts of different ways of abstracting the battle scene, while still keeping it reasonably anchored in a particular location, just by using the ground tile and the perspective tool in GIMP.

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you both.
@spillycup I think you may be right about the window size. It makes the battles look awkwardly far away. I may switch back to the original screen size.

@Kes It's a little thing, but I love what you did with the green smudges in the dark area, how did you go about adding that detail (I doubt it was complex, I'm just curious what method you did).
I will say it feels a bit barren, but that could be a side effect of the size issue. Plus there is no reason I can't throw in some decorative elements. Maybe leave the decorative element in the same perspective as the player so they pop out. I'll mess with things and see how it works out.

I will try out various ideas and post them here.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
how did you go about adding that detail
It's actually a special image I have made for putting behind other images. I have often used it as a parallax background for small interior maps which take up less than a full screen, rather than have the dead black you would otherwise get in game. It involved making a green fog and then putting it on a new layer over a black background, adjusting the opacity and tone until I got what I wanted, which was something that wasn't so subtle you couldn't see anything but also not so blatant as to take attention away from the map itself.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I've been busy trying out different art styles for my game.

Enemies deserve some spotlight also
hackingCompressed.gif
I think I can make a text-based mini-game with almost zero art assets and with code only...just a lot of code as assets all by themselves. :kaojoy:
A video update on the progress I've been making on the cutscenes. :kaosalute:

I wonder if color LUTs is possible for RPG Maker. It would be game changer and can replace the not so good looking tint screen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlaViews