overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Heheh, I think this is a far better improvement. I made the screen smaller and I lined the enemies up so they are like the party. When you attack your character moves to the enemy when they attack (although the effect is glitched in reverse so I'm still working on it).
May or may not add some decorative elements. Sometimes simple is better.
2021_8_14_17_42_4_227_2179.png

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm trying to make an overworld map with Kokoro Reflections' tileset. I've never tried that before though, so I'm not too good at it. It's still very early on, but does anyone have criticism/advice?

Attachments

• Map004.png
    Map004.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

ephesus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Subway car for part of the intro sequence to 'This Life is a Dream'. (MV using Ultra Mode 7, Grid Free Doodads, KNT Editor & Filter Controller plugins by Blizzard, Yanfly, Kaelan and Tsukimi)

2021-08-20T15-10-20-050Z.pngCouple More Pics:
[ISPOILER]2021-08-20T15-22-57-884Z.png2021-08-20T15-21-44-165Z.png[/ISPOILER]

Last edited:

ephesus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'm trying to make an overworld map with Kokoro Reflections' tileset. I've never tried that before though, so I'm not too good at it. It's still very early on, but does anyone have criticism/advice?
I'll be the first to say it but it kinda (really) looks like something you might not want it to look like. The more I look the more it becomes almost uncanny.

Other than that it's a pretty solid beginnings of a world map.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ShiningPhoibe I think that part of the problem is the way that you have done your rivers.

You have a river arising in the mountains (that's appropriate) which flows east and then north into the sea, but just before it gets there, a huge chunk of it veers off and goes south and successfully gets through an entire large desert before reaching the sea. I would like to suggest that you put another mountain range somewhere on the border of the green/desert areas with a separate river arising there. Maybe that river doesn't go very far before getting to the sea, because it would have to be enormous to go the entire length of a desert.

Does that desert need an oasis here and there?

You have a mountain range, but what about hills scattered around? The whole map is very flat. The mountain range itself is strangely geometric. Would it not be more irregular? Would it really go from coast to coast?

Is it really the case that forests/woods only grow on those couple of islands? Could you have forest patches on the main island?

At this scale I couldn't work out what the dark area is southwest of the mountains. I thought at first it might be another mountain range, but peering more closely I can see it's not.

I think it would help a lot if you broke up that large expanse of green with something, even if not the things I have suggested.

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ShiningPhoibe I think that part of the problem is the way that you have done your rivers.

You have a river arising in the mountains (that's appropriate) which flows east and then north into the sea, but just before it gets there, a huge chunk of it veers off and goes south and successfully gets through an entire large desert before reaching the sea. I would like to suggest that you put another mountain range somewhere on the border of the green/desert areas with a separate river arising there. Maybe that river doesn't go very far before getting to the sea, because it would have to be enormous to go the entire length of a desert.

Does that desert need an oasis here and there?

You have a mountain range, but what about hills scattered around? The whole map is very flat. The mountain range itself is strangely geometric. Would it not be more irregular? Would it really go from coast to coast?

Is it really the case that forests/woods only grow on those couple of islands? Could you have forest patches on the main island?

At this scale I couldn't work out what the dark area is southwest of the mountains. I thought at first it might be another mountain range, but peering more closely I can see it's not.

I think it would help a lot if you broke up that large expanse of green with something, even if not the things I have suggested.
Thanks for the feedback! I tried to follow your advice, hopefully it's better now.

Attachments

• Map004.png
    Map004.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ShiningPhoibe My wife took one look and had the same reaction as me. So I'll be the third to ask "Why is the island shaped like THAT?" Unless the answer is "Because that's Hung Low Island, the main setting in my H-game Legend of Big Zucchini," you may want to tweak the shape a bit! :mrsatan:

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm sorry if this is immature of me, but is the phallic shape of that big island on right on purpose?
It's not meant to be phallic. I didn't see it that way, though i guess it could be.
Edit: since other comments mentioned it, I broke it up.

Attachments

• Map004.png
    Map004.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

KawaiiKid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Pretty happy with this newer map. Wondering what I could do to give it some lighting effects.
IntroOutCave.jpg
My world map is shaping up pretty well, trying to decide a good way for encounters for it though. In game there are on screen encounters, so I'm trying to decide how I'd like to have map encounters. Atm, I have it so it is region encounters to trigger an event that will tell you that you're being ambushed, and you have a choice to try to escape or not. Escape has a 40% chance atm just to skip the encounter. I just really don't know a more effective way to make it not annoying, but still present some form of monster presence.
wmap.jpg

I've since changed how the fog looks, but here is roughly what the completed map looks like:

Last edited:

ShiningPhoibe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Pretty happy with this newer map. Wondering what I could do to give it some lighting effects.
My world map is shaping up pretty well, trying to decide a good way for encounters for it though. In game there are on screen encounters, so I'm trying to decide how I'd like to have map encounters. Atm, I have it so it is region encounters to trigger an event that will tell you that you're being ambushed, and you have a choice to try to escape or not. Escape has a 40% chance atm just to skip the encounter. I just really don't know a more effective way to make it not annoying, but still present some form of monster presence.

I've since changed how the fog looks, but here is roughly what the completed map looks like:
I like your maps! The first one looks detailed enough, not cluttered but not too empty either. I like the tileset too, did you make it yourself?
The world map has an interesting style. The clouds and mountains give it 3D, the forests are 2D. I'm guessing it's a parallax? It looks good, and now I'm curious to see the rest of it.

I made a village (with FSM Town of Beginnings, I'm not an artist so I can't make my own tiles). It's not perfect but I'm hoping to make it better with feedback. What do you think?

Attachments

• Map025.png
    Map025.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

DeBaby28

Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I created a walkway map. On this map, you walked from town to get to the community center. Along with this, I created monster areas around the map with three paths:

- Training ground
- World map
- Druid Kingdom

I included a mark-up of one image to show where everything is.

Any feedback or suggestions are welcomed.

Attachments

• Map028 - Copy.png
    Map028 - Copy.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • Map028.png
    Map028.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

Tayruu

・ ゚*。・゚(幸)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Do non-game but-game-related screenshots go here?

A while back I took up visual studio to make a custom utility to edit custom skill data for my project. It took about two weeks going from knowing basically nothing to being able to read and save rxdata files, so I'm pretty proud of it~.
wtueditor_01.png

It also has a "flag status" popup that helps tell you what each of the tick-boxes do, and whether they're relevant to a certain skill.
wtueditor_02.png

RPG Maker XP doesn't natively let me specify the chance of a state or do things like buffs, so that was the kinds of custom data I wanted to be able to edit.
wtueditor_03.png

In the end though, I've not actually really used this utility at all. I was able to edit some data and make sure it was being saved back to the data files correctly, but it lacks some quality-of-life to make it worthwhile to heavily use. . w. Namely, I haven't implemented a loading dialogue - it loads a specific hard-coded set of files, and there's no copy/paste/etc of skill entries, which makes shuffling data around impossible.

So I've stuck back with my previous method of loading in a ruby text file to rewrite the data when I need to.

But it was an interesting experience making this, anyway.

gRaViJa

Eniko Ghosts of Grace Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I'm starting with the beta testing for the demo tomorrow! Here's a preview of the Fenrir Boss Battle, hope you guys and gals enjoy!

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
@DeBaby28 This is a nice start, but there are some mapping issues there. I quickly remade a map with a similar environment so you can compare and hopefully take some advice from it:
Map011.png
This is just a quick makeover that adresses some of the things that I would change, I know some areas are still kinda empty.
  1. The map is very large and pretty empty in many places, you can fit that whole setting on much less space.
  2. Your mountains are very "edgy" and have many many height inconsistencies.
  3. Your trees grow in very unnatural orders.
Before I write a huge "how to" here, I actually did and I think those tutorials I made for the blog might help you a lot:

I hope this helps you :) I have used RMMZ, but since the tiles are very similar I think it is not that much of an issue.

DeBaby28

Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Avery Thank you for the advice. I managed to change some stuff like reducing the size and fixing the cliff heights. I haven't filled in the map yet, to wait on your input.

I'm still working on creating tree walkways that make sense at the bottom. That will different monster types based on location, that's why it's not totally reduced.

Map028.png

PLUEVNR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Avery Thank you for the advice. I managed to change some stuff like reducing the size and fixing the cliff heights. I haven't filled in the map yet, to wait on your input.

I'm still working on creating tree walkways that make sense at the bottom. That will different monster types based on location, that's why it's not totally reduced.

Your stairs look like ladders.
Think in 3D
You should add 1 or 2 tiles of stairs to make it look more natural.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@DeBaby28 I think that there is still a lot more you could do with your cliffs. At the moment, each cliff goes straight up to the next main level with 100% regularity. It would look much better, imo, if you broke those straight lines with bits of cliff which were of differing heights. Here is an old map of mine where I still have the screenshot on my hard disk. If you look at, e.g., the southwest corner you can see what I mean.

It also has 3 sets of steps on it. pluevnr is right to say that your stairs look like ladders. However, I think that just putting an extra tile in so that the bottom sticks out looks silly. Steps in cliffs should look, as far as possible, as if they have been carved out of the cliff face. If they are sticking out at the bottom, that wrecks that illusion. Instead, I take my cliff edge back in a tile at the top. That allows me to get the extra tile in.

Mapshot 66 Index [0, 0].png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have a really hard time keeping all these goodies secret til December... but I swear, it is worth the wait!
Working on a Premium version of my minimap plugin that will have advanced functionalities such as drawing a Terrain map based completely on the users tilesets, whatever they may be, and drawing minimap radar icons automatically based on texture of the event the note is applied to.
Psttt come look, this is the secret technique to tenderizing steaks, it makes it extra beefy. :rwink:

pixeldailyaxemeatsheild.gif
#screenshotsaturday update, featuring vaporwave angels lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FaceMelter