Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@alice_gristle
I mostly take inspiration from old Snes games, mostly Breath of Fire.
Some villages are build like this in older games.
If you think about it, you probably just could walk trough the forest.^^
Sometimes you have sacrifice logic for aesthetic.

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi everyone. This is a video showing off a world map I made in VX Ace. It's just a test, so the places and names are just placeholders. I also wanted to see if I could have changing weather and music for different islands. (Apologies if the music is too loud in the video).

mara_vertin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everyone. This is a video showing off a world map I made in VX Ace. It's just a test, so the places and names are just placeholders. I also wanted to see if I could have changing weather and music for different islands. (Apologies if the music is too loud in the video).

I really like the overall design of your world map and changing the weather and music in different places is a great touch. I would let the music fade out a little before starting a different tune so that it doesn't quite sound like it was cut off, but that is just my personal taste.

LeeThom91

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Towns really aren't my strong point but here's a WIP for my current project, a hillside town the party arrives at early in the game at the edge of a vast forest - I still need more trees and general scatter on the main map but thought I'd get some feedback. This is in front of a parallax vista that changes between day and night and ignore the people standing on the counters on the interior maps - they are behind them in play I don't know why Orange Mapshot has captured them like that aha.

Merchant Town.png

Inn BF.png

General Store.png

Momonica

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the worst.png

This is my first try in making a map at night (please be kind). Just testing how it would look like and how would I make those lights, but I know it's not the best so i wanted some tips and criticism on how to make better ones...

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is actually not terrible. The main thing I would do is play with opacity a bit. Turn down the opacity of the lights (because I can't tell what any of them are for since they're covering up the tiles), and turn up the opacity of the overlay shadow, because it's too faint to look like night. See OP's mockup in this post. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/lighted-windows-at-night.68926/
Pretty good for your first one, though.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
none of the windows are showing any light from inside (the inn and pub are still open right).
large walkway through town surrounded by water but 0 lighting and around the bridges. (i hope theres a drunk NPC in the water that couldnt see in the dark somewhere near that pub)
for the towns layout in general, weird how the inn doesnt directly connect to the main street. would you want to be a traveler in an unknown town and when you finally spot the inn there no direct path? have to walk back to edge of town, cross a bridge > random field > another bridge, just to see if they even have a room for the night and the price

Last edited:

Momonica

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is actually not terrible. The main thing I would do is play with opacity a bit. Turn down the opacity of the lights (because I can't tell what any of them are for since they're covering up the tiles), and turn up the opacity of the overlay shadow, because it's too faint to look like night. See OP's mockup in this post. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/lighted-windows-at-night.68926/
Pretty good for your first one, though.
Thank you! I'll try it.

none of the windows are showing any light from inside. large walkway through town surrounded by water but 0 lighting and around the bridges. (i hope theres a drunk NPC in the water that couldnt see in the dark somewhere near that pub)
for the towns layout in general, weird how the inn doesnt directly connect to the main street. would you want to be a traveler in an unknown town and when you finally spot the inn there no direct path? have to walk back to edge of town, cross a bridge > random field > another bridge, just to see if they even have a room for the night and the price
I completely forgot about the windows! Not sure how would i make them but I can try some things. About the layout, it's not really a vivid town, it's just a little village that usually provides stuff for the main town, but yeah maybe i should put some lights in the bridge. Thank you!

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not to take away from the plugin you have, but one that I'm currently using works really great and easy to use: LMN Lighting and Time Editor. It doesn't look like it gets updated anymore, but I haven't run into any issues with it. Works great for me. Wanted to send in case you'd like to check it out. Comes with some nice images to use for lighting, as well.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@LeeThom91 I think you have an issue with your water.
Take the water on the left side of the map. It starts at the top, flows with some force down 2 levels and then...? Where does it go? There is no discernable outlet for it, so it will inevitably flood the next level.

On the right it emerges from a high source (the level where the windmill is). There cannot be a huge reservoir of water in such a small level, but somehow it manages to become almost like a river in just a few feet. That is not possible. It would still be a minor stream/trickle until it is fed by other sources. The same is also true for the water on the left.

The access to this town is extremely constricted, only via the ladder at the southeast corner and the precarious bridge in the northwest corner. How did they get all the materials needed to build such elaborate houses up there? How does the horse on the right get there, and leave?

I like the tone of your lighting.

swordsvswords

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! I'm new to making games using rpg maker and I'm quite amazed at the parallax mapping technique. So I am trying to make one.my map.jpg
I'm quite happy with the result but I'm struggling with the ending of the waterfall. Can someone give me an idea?
It’s been a while since I last made a post in a thread like this, but here’s a piece I made for my game today that I’m really proud of:

(For anyone curious, my game’s made using the MV3D plugin.)

View attachment 201141
Woah man! Your game looks so fun and exciting! reminds me of pokemon gen 5 graphics, which i really like! Does your game support day and night system?

Last edited:

LeeThom91

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes
Thank you for the detailed response, I see what you mean about the water, as far as the outlet my thinking was that the river wound back round to the back of the mountain but now you mention it it's not particularly clear and good observation on the accessibility, I hadn't considered that.

Anyway here's a WIP update - I may have gotten a little carried away with the waterfalls lol but I think it's starting to take shape.

Merchant Town Edit.png

2021-09-17 (10).png
2021-09-17 (16).png
2021-09-16 (1).png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A certain person better sell his stock while he still can, because it looks like it's going to take an unrecoverable nose dive.
7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.
Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

I'm not sure how to do this so I'll just ask here, Wheres a good place to post your game (for free) once its done?
I don't know what I'm doing :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otwm