King Sangos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@swordsvswords

Heh, Pokemon Gen 5 definitely always had this big appeal to me, so I'm glad to hear that you like it. Due to the game being Horror-themed (and some other shenanigans with its story), the game doesn't have a Day/Night cycle. It's definitely feasible to do for another project, but for this one, it's not present.

FarOutFighter

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey everyone. This is not my first game, but it's definitely the first RPG Maker game I intend to complete, and the one I've put the most work into. Mapping, along with story development, is one of my worst abilities, imo. So I am asking for some critiquing of the following maps.emberson.png
Emberson. The city of Ash. What do you think of the layout? The decorating?

mint city.png
Mint City, the city of Mist. Set in a swamp. The premise is that they found these islands in the swamp and then set up a city on wood boarding.

mint mountain.png
My game has several mountains. This is one of the bigger ones.

rimetton.png
This is Rymetton, the cave city of Frost. Decorations are a little sparse. What should I add, if anything? And how is the layout?
skyrock village - shop side.png
Skyrock Village - Shop side. The left side of Skyrock, featuring its shops. It's supposed to be a city of floating rocks.

skyrock village.png
Skyrock, the city of the Airborn. Supposed to be a city of floating rocks. This one I think is my best. It is also the opening town.

snow path.png
Snow path. This connects Rymetton and the Mt. Rymetton.

somber mountain.png
Somber Mountain. This is the first, smallest mountain in the game.
Som

PLUEVNR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey!
That's a lot to look at so I'll only point out the "bad things" we see at first sight

View attachment 201837
Emberson. The city of Ash. What do you think of the layout? The decorating?
I don't know the main story behind this town but straight cliff walls is a bit weird. You should add some variations, add some shapes to them. Same for the ground, you used the exact same tile eveywhere. It needs more variations.
Your stairs look like ladders. You should add some stair tile at the bottom to make it look more natural (think in 3D).
It's rock everywhere, so I get it why there's no vegetation but you should add some stone piles, some boulders or whatever that is a rocky element
Except that, I like the map. It's interesting and I wonder what can happen here

View attachment 201838
Mint City, the city of Mist. Set in a swamp. The premise is that they found these islands in the swamp and then set up a city on wood boarding.
The wooden ground tile reallt hurt the eye. You should find something else or edit it and lower the saturation.
Your cliffs seem like they're floating. Create some cliff tiles with a bit of transparency to put them in the water. This will make your cliff more natural.
The shape of your village is good, not too big, not too small. Maybe add some town elements to make it more lively (crates, barrels, streetshop or whatever)

View attachment 201839
My game has several mountains. This is one of the bigger ones.
same as before, your cliffs are straight. Add more variations. It's okay to have straight cliffs, you find plenty of them in the nature. But it's also mixed with weird shaped ones

View attachment 201840
This is Rymetton, the cave city of Frost. Decorations are a little sparse. What should I add, if anything? And how is the layout?
Same as before about your stairs. Your houses are higher than the walls
Add some variations in your ground tiles and put some icy elements here and there

View attachment 201841
Skyrock Village - Shop side. The left side of Skyrock, featuring its shops. It's supposed to be a city of floating rocks.

View attachment 201842
Skyrock, the city of the Airborn. Supposed to be a city of floating rocks. This one I think is my best. It is also the opening town.
Your best map so far, really good.

View attachment 201843
Snow path. This connects Rymetton and the Mt. Rymetton.
You have several cliff height pissues in this one. You're getting higher (or lower) but you have the same height everywhere compared to the water

View attachment 201844
Somber Mountain. This is the first, smallest mountain in the game.
Som
Same thing about your stairs and cliffs

Btw, here's my map. It's a portion of one of the cave you'll find in the next chapter of my game
The map will be darkened. The torches are the only sources of light
R1.png

FarOutFighter

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey!
That's a lot to look at so I'll only point out the "bad things" we see at first sight

I don't know the main story behind this town but straight cliff walls is a bit weird. You should add some variations, add some shapes to them. Same for the ground, you used the exact same tile eveywhere. It needs more variations.
Your stairs look like ladders. You should add some stair tile at the bottom to make it look more natural (think in 3D).
It's rock everywhere, so I get it why there's no vegetation but you should add some stone piles, some boulders or whatever that is a rocky element
Except that, I like the map. It's interesting and I wonder what can happen here

The wooden ground tile reallt hurt the eye. You should find something else or edit it and lower the saturation.
Your cliffs seem like they're floating. Create some cliff tiles with a bit of transparency to put them in the water. This will make your cliff more natural.
The shape of your village is good, not too big, not too small. Maybe add some town elements to make it more lively (crates, barrels, streetshop or whatever)

same as before, your cliffs are straight. Add more variations. It's okay to have straight cliffs, you find plenty of them in the nature. But it's also mixed with weird shaped ones

Same as before about your stairs. Your houses are higher than the walls
Add some variations in your ground tiles and put some icy elements here and there

Your best map so far, really good.

You have several cliff height pissues in this one. You're getting higher (or lower) but you have the same height everywhere compared to the water

Same thing about your stairs and cliffs

Btw, here's my map. It's a portion of one of the cave you'll find in the next chapter of my game
The map will be darkened. The torches are the only sources of light
View attachment 201850
Thanks for the critiques, I really appreciate it. As for your cavern... i feel too noobish to give feedback, lol.

PLUEVNR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the critiques, I really appreciate it. As for your cavern... i feel too noobish to give feedback, lol.
Well, I'm always struggling at making caves so there's probably a lot to say about it.
Anyway, the basic mistakes are avoided and you can see how to create ground variations and add some natural elements for your rocky mountains.

And don't down yourself, it comes with practice. If you look at my first maps, it's far worse than yours. You did a great job so far, there's just a few mistakes you could easily avoid by praticing. It'll come with time so don't be worry about it :)

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi everyone! I have been working on my side project, a monster capturing game. This is just a test to make sure everything is working correctly.

LeeThom91

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a WIP of a Dwarven village inside a mountain - still needs a fair bit of work but I think the basic structure is looking okay.

Kranstone.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It does look pretty good and logical, but the distances are really spread out, have you tried walking around in it? Might be a pain to explore.

LeeThom91

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm

Thanks for replying - and yes that's certainly a concern. I have moved around in it now I've done all the collision and it feels okay, I'll have to see what it's like once I've filled in the extra detail and populated it with dwarves. I'd like to keep a semi-mazelike feeling as, being a Dwarven village, it's full of all sorts of hidden treasures the player can find by taking the time to explore.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's great. As long as the player isn't expected to visit often, having some hidden goodies can be enough to justify a long walk, and the lighter dirt paths help a lot. Definitely test it out though.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Did I include a totally unnecessary Gashapon gambling system that can make very wealthy if luck is on your side? Yes...Yes I did! You can also gamble your fortune away and lose it all... :kaoswt2:

There are five colors of Gashapons. Each one has different ranges of rewards they offer depending on rarity. Upon opening, you receive a colored lacquer token. You can trade these in for cash, but you need to find someone who'll take them first....

Note: the map displayed is not complete.

Capture.PNG

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, I just wanted to get some opinions on these descriptions for the core stats in my game, especially the phrasing and clarity. E.g.: Should I say "Critical Hit" or "Crit"? Also, should I even include icons in front of stuff like Hit & Crit, or should I omit them entirely since not all terms (pale-blue words) have icons?

1633189921684.png

Edit: I'm debating whether to make Dexterity also increase Spell Crit as well, instead of having it gained via Intellect. Would that make sense for immersion purposes though? Like maybe spells are cast using one's hands, thus it'd make sense for Dexterity to have an effect. Thoughts?

Edit2: Nvm, I'm actually leaning against the idea now...idk lol.

Last edited:

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi, I just wanted to get some opinions on these descriptions for the core stats in my game, especially the phrasing and clarity. E.g.: Should I say "Critical Hit" or "Crit"? Also, should I even include icons in front of stuff like Hit & Crit, or should I omit them entirely since not all terms (pale-blue words) have icons?

View attachment 202922

Edit: I'm debating whether to make Dexterity also increase Spell Crit as well, instead of having it gained via Intellect. Would that make sense for immersion purposes though? Like maybe spells are cast using one's hands, thus it'd make sense for Dexterity to have an effect. Thoughts?

When it comes to icons, go all or nothing. If most words have icons but some don't, it'll be confusing for the player. Like I see that Magical Critical Hit has no icon, but Crit doesn't.
I would also try to make terms cohesive as well, so if you are going with Magical Critical Hit, go with Physical Critical Hit, or just combine them into Critical Hit.

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
fatally yours.gifmy deuteragonists parked outside your home in an unmarked black van and up to no good

haven't done one of these in a LONG ass time (and believe it or not this is my first time EVER releasing an animated one, which is insane when you think about how long I've been at this)z

hot DAMN @FarOutFighter that is a SERIOUSLY huge mountain

Last edited:

FarOutFighter

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

View attachment 202922

I think the descriptions and icons are good. As for Critical Hit vs Crit, I say go with Crit. Less text is usually better, as long as the meaning is clear.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm, yo descriptions look good mostly! Imma side with "Critical Hit" instead of "Crit", just because sometimes you might have a player who's either a newbie or jus' dense like me. :kaoswt: If ya gonna stick to icons for hits and crits tho, how about making the icon for crits red? 'Coz red feels MOAR DANGEROUS. :biggrin::biggrin:

Also, how about that Dex description? I mean, everything else seems very to the point and like, "Okay, so that's what it does!" But Dex is like, quite vague in its first sentence. Soo... maybe figure out what Dex is mainly for and put that out, clear and concise like? Altho, I know yo Dex might not have a clear focus like Str, so you might wanna go with something general like: "Dex broadly increases combat ability. Each point increases Focus Regen, Hit, Crit and Counter chance by 0,1%."

Oh, and is Int really s'posed to increase mana costs? If so, why?

Overall tho, I really like yo presentation and how everything laid out and stuff! Really clear, a pleasure to read, stuff is really understandable. :kaoluv:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, and is Int really s'posed to increase mana costs? If so, why?
Heh, counterintuitive at first, I know lol. Basically, I have it so MDF (Willpower) increases Mana Pool, while MAT (Intellect) mainly increases magic dmg. Even tho INT makes spells more expensive, your dmg/MP will always improve overall. So the player has to balance between stacking more Intellect or Willpower or maybe a middle ground between the two. Or specialize as a pure caster by dumping all other stats besides INT & WIL, thus gaining both high spell dmg and a large mana pool.

My thinking was that higher INT = a caster that can mentally manage a larger/stronger spell or have the mental aptitude to focus more Mana into the spell being cast. Think of an athletic sprinter.

Willpower, on the other hand, feels like "magical endurance" in a sense. Basically, it's the opposite playstyle of an INT-focused unit, or in other words, akin to a marathon runner.

"Dex broadly increases combat ability. Each point increases Focus Regen, Hit, Crit and Counter chance by 0,1%."
Btw, thanks a bunch for the tip regarding the DEX description! :kaophew:

Last edited:

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm, okay, I see! I thought it might've been sumthing like that! I got a feeling ya gonna have players take issue with that tho. "WAAAT, I maxed my INT, now my spells suck? Yer game is bollocks!"
:biggrin::biggrin: Buut... maybe that not the type of player ya got in mind?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can't believe my code from four years ago is still working! Did some expansions, and...
1635194553179.png
In related news, I may have an update for my old Extra status window plugin ready. That is, once I manage to sit down and update the documentation... and the demo project... :kaoswt:
How does one pronounce Godot? I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, and I genuinely don't know the proper way.
March 2020 ...
1635188823939.jpeg
... vs October 2021
You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBV