Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh right, I forgot the other main reason why I made INT increase MP Costs. Namely, I don't use skill/spell ranks in my game. Nor do I have multiple copies of spells of varying strength (e.g. Fira, Firaga, Firaja, etc.).

So if we take a basic Lightning Bolt spell for example... Let's say for simplicity's sake, Lightning Bolt deals INT*3 dmg and costs 40MP. Its damage clearly scales w/ the player as they grow, but what felt well-balanced early game later can feel unbalanced come late game. By end-game, the player might have enough total MP and/or regen to cast infinitely many Lightning Bolts lol.

Thus, I made it so INT also increases MP costs. XD

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PLUEVNR Are you parallax mapping? Or are those just lighting effects you've added on top of the FSM tileset? I really like the side UI for the actors btw!

PLUEVNR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PLUEVNR Are you parallax mapping? Or are those just lighting effects you've added on top of the FSM tileset? I really like the side UI for the actors btw!
Thank you :)
Yep it's parallax mapping!
The lighting is donne with a layer

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When it comes to icons, go all or nothing. If most words have icons but some don't, it'll be confusing for the player. Like I see that Magical Critical Hit has no icon, but Crit doesn't.
I would also try to make terms cohesive as well, so if you are going with Magical Critical Hit, go with Physical Critical Hit, or just combine them into Critical Hit.
@Frostorm, yo descriptions look good mostly! Imma side with "Critical Hit" instead of "Crit", just because sometimes you might have a player who's either a newbie or jus' dense like me. :kaoswt: If ya gonna stick to icons for hits and crits tho, how about making the icon for crits red? 'Coz red feels MOAR DANGEROUS. :biggrin::biggrin:
So I was playing Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark and noticed that they're just as inconsistent as me when it comes to skill descriptions! Notice how they use an icon for "CRIT" but not for "Critical Hit". And, they use both terms as well. Thoughts?

1633876715029.png
1633877115549.png

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I was playing Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark and noticed that they're just as inconsistent as me when it comes to skill descriptions! Notice how they use an icon for "CRIT" but not for "Critical Hit". And, they use both terms as well. Thoughts?
That almost looks like the second sentence is an explanation of the "CRIT" part of the first. Funny! :biggrin: Soo... can't really say what going on in Fell Seal there. But, if somebody bungling, I'd say don't try to copy them!

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just getting back into RPG Maker after a long absence. Since I'm effectively a beginner again, I'm doing a starter project just for the sake of familiarising myself with the engine and producing something finished even if it isn't top-quality. Even so, I'm happy with how this turned out.

RPGMV3.png

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looks great -- the only thing I'm not sure about is the three notes pinned on the back wall. Whoever pinned them there would have had to awkwardly reach around the gown in order to pin them to a stone wall, when it would be much easier to use the wardrobe door. Also, the small portrait is too low -- for an observer standing on the floor, it would be hidden behind the gown.

C64_Mat

System Masters
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Cabin.png

Prologue area, The Brothers, (c) System Masters 2021

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't use skill/spell ranks in my game...Its damage clearly scales w/ the player as they grow...Thus, I made it so INT also increases MP costs.
Another obvious solution would be to simply not gain additional MP as you level. I've played other games that did this, and TP already functions like this.

It might feel more sensible to the player for the system to scale that way, rather than saying "This skill you have costs more resources and it's beyond your control."

Just getting back into RPG Maker after a long absence...Even so, I'm happy with how this turned out.
I think the map generally looks good. The thing I would point out is that your wall heights vary between 2 and 3 squares, which makes things look wonky.

If you have walls of different heights, you should have other elements making it obvious why - like the right half of your north wall, you have tall walls but at one point you have a ledge halfway up. We can see that's a tall cliff with other stuff coming out.

But if you start at the entrance in the middle of your west wall, that height is 2 squares, then following it north the outcroppings are 3 squares tall. That looks stretchy and weird because we don't see anything else in that area indicating the wall is going up a hill or anything.

And then a lot of the rest of the map along the south side has 3-height walls. To me, seeing a taller cliff stretching off the north of the screen makes sense, but if we don't have any way to be on top of the southern shapes and seeing difference in terrain heights, there's no point in making those walls taller - I'd suggest sticking with your 2-height.

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think the map generally looks good. The thing I would point out is that your wall heights vary between 2 and 3 squares, which makes things look wonky.

If you have walls of different heights, you should have other elements making it obvious why - like the right half of your north wall, you have tall walls but at one point you have a ledge halfway up. We can see that's a tall cliff with other stuff coming out.

But if you start at the entrance in the middle of your west wall, that height is 2 squares, then following it north the outcroppings are 3 squares tall. That looks stretchy and weird because we don't see anything else in that area indicating the wall is going up a hill or anything.

And then a lot of the rest of the map along the south side has 3-height walls. To me, seeing a taller cliff stretching off the north of the screen makes sense, but if we don't have any way to be on top of the southern shapes and seeing difference in terrain heights, there's no point in making those walls taller - I'd suggest sticking with your 2-height.

Thank you. I've had a go at fixing this map:

RPGMV3.png

And here is a later map from the same project, Goblin Town:

RPGMV4.png

Last edited:

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

View attachment 203504
View attachment 203505
It's redundant, they could have saved space and gone with "Critical Hit" instead.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looking for feedback on the bottom right quadrant/box that shows item stats. Here, the elemental icons tell the player this Wand deals Arcane damage (all other elements grayed out). "Range: 3" w/ the circle icon after it means that it has a 3-tile radius range in the shape of a circle. Oh and ignore the immersion-breaking item names, that's just for testing purposes lol.

1634423484579.png

...and here this Spear has a range of 2 in the shape of a "+". Also, note the Blunt/Slash/Pierce icons w/ the numbers after them. This will be explained in a tutorial in-game, but basically, they are "ratings" that denote how much of each type of dmg the weapon deals. The sum of all 3 ratings always adds up to 10, and each rating has a minimum of 1. So this Spear deals mostly Pierce dmg, which should make sense. With such a system, all weapons will deal some proportion of Blunt, Slash, & Pierce damage. Thoughts?...

1634422602692.png

Last edited:

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I played quite a bit of Fell Seal myself and I believe that this is not really an inconsistency.

" Critical Hit " is an attribute and " CRIT↑ " is a status effect.

The Icon is significant in the latter case because in character panels and damage previews only the icon is shown, so it would make sense to use the icon in conjunction with the text in descriptions to teach the player that they are synonymous.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played quite a bit of Fell Seal myself and I believe that this is not really an inconsistency.

" Critical Hit " is an attribute and " CRIT↑ " is a status effect.

The Icon is significant in the latter case because in character panels and damage previews only the icon is shown, so it would make sense to use the icon in conjunction with the text in descriptions to teach the player that they are synonymous.
Yea, that makes sense...which means I can get away with something similar right? For example, the Crit icon and text is always visible to the player when they open the attributes page:

1634424379037.png

So does that mean I should write out "Critical Hit" in every instance, or contract it to "Crit"?

Edit: This is the nicest screenshot I've seen in a long time! I mean look...no errors! :guffaw:
1634516361874.png

Last edited:

Fruitiversity

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Minus the pictures on the wall, these are mostly finished maps for the cafeteria in my game! It took forever but I'm so proud. I want to know if anyone can tell that the things in the back kitchen are slightly shorter? (they're made for smaller cooks).
CF1.png

Attachments

• CF2.png
    CF2.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
lurching violently forwards and making determined progress towards a launch on my scary spoopy spooktober jam game, murdered sleep. everything is WIP but I'm unlikely to be touching up individual elements until I have started the first rounds of playtesting/actually released some kind of playable demo build

but if everything goes according to plan (ha ha ha fat chance I know!!!!) this should be on sale by halloween!

2021_10_18_19_21_25_623_931.png
2021_10_18_21_29_33_284_148.png
2021_10_20_13_53_48_254_1391.png
2021_10_20_0_34_13_330_3065.png
gonna need playtesters rll rll soon.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made a rough draft for my next dungeon's layout. It's going to be a dark and mysterious forest setting measuring (100x55) tiles, split into 25 smaller (20x11) maps. I'm trying to decide if the player should have to get both "keys" to unlock the boss "door", or make it so only 1 key is required...

dungeon_sketch.png

I just drew the river for that map, how's it look?
Dark Woods.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm listening to iiluminaughtii talking about the secrets behind shady businesses and scams. Meanwhile I'm writing a fanfic about Sephiroth from FF7, one specifically for my stepmom. I'll get to give it to her, too, because my boss said I could take the holidays off! Dec. 22-27 I will be in Orlando, and maybe Fort Myers too, visiting my dad and stepmom!
Of course, I bought a handful of games on the Steam Black Friday sale. Will I try them? Will I complete any? Who knows...
I don't really have any neat updates today about how I screwed up programming... But if you want to observe the intensenes of me programming, then you can check out my stream :)
New Weapons.gif
No more spam from me today, I promise! Just wanted to upload this, people have been giving me feedback that my weapon sprites (which were RTP) clashed badly with my battlers for ages, so today I finally took the plunge and updated them! Really happy with how they came out :D :D
So Facebook fraudulently took money from me. They even went through my PayPal accounts to find a card that had the money on it. Thinking about deleting my Facebook account because this doesn't happen on twitter, not even close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
varghn