Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Like happy tree friends?:p
I was actually referring to stuff like Doki Doki Literature Club, Eversion and Madoka Magica where it seems innocent at first, but turns into a dumping ground of nightmare fuel as it goes on.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't really posted my own stuff here at all, SO HERE GOES A FIRST. :kaoswt2:

It's a map I made with my own 8-bit tileset, which is kinda clunky (at least to use), but eh. :kaoswt: It's s'posta be a strange, verdant grotto where the maidens of Mars grow peaches! Or "peaches", like, they don't grow on trees and there's no sunlight... SO I GUESS MAGIC! :biggrin: Anyway here da map...

alice_screen.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@alice_gristle I know next to nothing about the aesthetics of 8-bit style, so usually don't comment on maps made with them. But I had to say that I love the way you've done the tops of the trees - the swirl at the corners has such a strong suggestion of movement and carries the eye along.

KawaiiKid

Local Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Been working on a survival dungeon crawler as a side project. So far I have:
1.) Survival stats linked to the hud. Stats give detriments when reached. For example at 35% rest you will lose strength stats, and max hp. At 0% you will lose 1/2 of both. For hunger and thirst when you reach 0% you will lose health until you die.

2.)Working lantern that uses oil, and usage is linked to the hud. If it runs out of oil the lamp turns off. You can refill it with oil flasks, which give you back an empty bottle when used.

3.) If you die, you drop your souls on the ground, and a physical soul is represented where you died in the game world. If you die before picking up these souls, they will disappear and you will drop your current souls at your most current location of death. (Yes this is a direct ripoff of dark souls, I love the mechanic.)
4.)Node based world map travel
5.)Weight system. Everything has weight, and if you are overburdened you cannot hold any more. Also adds infinite storage to your house.

Last edited:

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KawaiiKid, I usually hate dungeon crawler aesthetics 'cuz ceiling too dam low, makes me feel claustrophobic. :kaoswt: Cool lights tho! Can you put a rave warehouse somewhere in the dungeon? I'd buy a ticket! :kaoluv: Also props for electrified guano. :biggrin:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@KawaiiKid Those maps are seriously good.
Can I be a boring pedant, just for a moment.
There is a big discrepancy in the quality of the graphics for the flame of the wall lamp and the burning fire. The fire looks blurred, as if it has been enlarged (and maybe it has). Perhaps just a little touching up would go a long way.

KawaiiKid

Local Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KawaiiKid Those maps are seriously good.
Can I be a boring pedant, just for a moment.
There is a big discrepancy in the quality of the graphics for the flame of the wall lamp and the burning fire. The fire looks blurred, as if it has been enlarged (and maybe it has). Perhaps just a little touching up would go a long way.
I changed it around, but hard to work with blocks to make things look decent lol.

TINJiRG.png

Also, I added a title screen.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@KawaiiKid That's a big improvement. I think, though, that if you dropped the back down a bit it would be even better as atm it looks like it's sort of climbing up the wall. You could do that by shortening the side topping bricks so that they finish lower down.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KawaiiKid, that title screen tho! :wub SO RETRO. Complete with a 100% awesome throwback title! :kaoluv: Those straight blocks at the lower right corner look a bit at odds to my li'l eye, tho? Cud you try and make 'em curve inward somehow? I think that'd make 'em fit with the rest of the shapes, which feel more curved that straight!

(Also yeah, that title screen jus' screams YOU GONNA DIE A LOT so yeah.) :kaoswt:

Ninjypuppy

That one guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Got a new attempt at a Mountainous area. Tried adding different cliff heights but not sure they work as well with the way I did them. Foliage placement I also think could use some work as well

Map006.png

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a coupla more shots from my WIP! :wub This time more like actual screenshots! One is a quadrangle of sorts from the strange Martian temple, and the other is a piece of Martian wilderness. And yes, my palette doesn't have anything else 'cept reds, greens, and blues. :biggrin:

Also my MC, the magic knight Asa! :kaoluv:

alice_temple.png

alice_garden.png

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@alice_gristle I am impressed how you have limited yourself to a 3 colour palette and still get it to stand out so well! Also love the shape of the rockface/cliffs

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Question, are those ice pillars in the fountain to look like little wells or something?
I think you'll find that those "ice pillars" are the default gushing fountain sprite. You'll find them on !Other2. They'll be animated in the game.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Only 3 more days to get your copy of Move That Box! with -15% discount!
1660090657213.png
Mistakes will be made.
After three years, it was awesome to be back at Gen Con!
Words of Wisdom: You can be honest and alone. Or dishonest and together.
Working on mapping using RPGTools to create parallax maps using PVgames tiles/assets. It's super cool... but mapping is still something I drag my feet on getting done. I hate this but love the math parts of design, which is the opposite of a lot of dev's around, I think. It really do be different strokes for different folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking