Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are so many incredible projects here that I feel intimidated to even post! Really, incredible, beautiful work people.

I'll shallow my intimidation though and post. I have currently been working on a swamp area for my project. I have quite a few of the maps already completed or close to completion. I still need to work on the monsters roaming these toxic swamps, finish some areas in the maps I've provided, and make at least four more to finish the whole swamp off. When it's done it will include a forgotten prison dungeon from a bygone age, a friendly swamp village to stop off and rest and restock, a secret safe outpost, plenty of travel maps between, and if the players decide to press their luck and explore every inch of the swamp, they will penetrate to the deepest depths and discover the long lost druid grove that has been taken over by mushroom people, so another safe haven for the players too stop off.

Map 1: Entrance - please ignore the events at the top, they will be removed later on. They are simple sample monsters I am working on before sprinkling them across the maps.
Swamp1.PNG

Map 2: Upper road from Map 1 leads here. To the right through the toxic water the player can reach the Secret Hideout for rest. The unfinished path North leads to the Swamp Village that I have not finished yet. And the lower road leads to Map 3.
Swamp2.PNG

Map 3: Boss Area. Pass the plant boss leads to the heart of the swamp where the players can find the Lost Druid Grove and the Mushroom Village.
Swamp4.PNG

Map 4: Lost Grove
Swamp5.PNG
Map 5: Mushroom Village
Swamp6.PNG

Map 6: Secret Hideout - was thinking of adding a few more crops.
Swamp3.PNG

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you @Kanori24 and @StrawberryFlower for your kindness.

To answer your question, StrawberryFlower, the mushroom houses are from the FSM tilesets. I personally editted the brown mushroom to get the red and blue however.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Guardinthena Those maps are well thought out, and lots of nice detailing. I too love the mushroom village, but also I like the secret hide out. I think you're right to want more crops in there, but I was also wondering about access to clean water. I assume the swamp water is too contaminated, so might anyone living in the tree house need a well?

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SGHarlekin -I am a huge fan of the FSM tilesets, so instant like from me with the screenshots. That aside, I love the sprawling scenery shots that transition from the riverfront/farmland, to the outskirts of the city, to the inner heart itself. Nicely done! Are these separate maps? Is that why you commented that the player is unlikely to notice during gameplay? I ask because I create crazy sprawling town maps and am generally curious. Also, really love your use of roof tops and especially how, in the city, there are those houses pressed right up against the wall. It all feels very organic.

@Kes thank you for spending the time to comment. As for your question, not to worry about the clean water situation. If you notice there is a clean river running at the top left corner. I tried to have it run off into the forest, and hint that it does where the ranger's have channeled some of it to run to the crops. The reason there is this secret hideout with clean water is that the swamps are divided into Higher and Lower levels due to rugged mountainous terrain. The toxic swamps are at the bottom and the higher levels are boggy, but have clean water.

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SGHarlekin -I am a huge fan of the FSM tilesets, so instant like from me with the screenshots. That aside, I love the sprawling scenery shots that transition from the riverfront/farmland, to the outskirts of the city, to the inner heart itself. Nicely done! Are these separate maps? Is that why you commented that the player is unlikely to notice during gameplay? I ask because I create crazy sprawling town maps and am generally curious. Also, really love your use of roof tops and especially how, in the city, there are those houses pressed right up against the wall. It all feels very organic.
Thanks for the high level of praise! They are indeed 3 separate maps. The "Inner city", the "Residential Area" and the "Rural outskirts". I tried to give each map it's own identity while still being connected as one city. (Residential has mostly stone buildings unlike the outskirts, and the inner city... well, that's obvious.)

The player will spend most of the time in the inner city, accepting guild quests, visiting the crafters, reading lore in the library and such. Small quest in the beginning will probably take the player to the Residential and Outskirts areas for small errands before heading out into Dungeons.

i Also have interior maps for almost every house, if anyone wants to see those as well. (And speed-mapping videos of some on my youtube channel.)

I try to develop Dungeon Rummage - Origins with only the FSM tileset, so it's gonna be somewhat of a challenge. (What can I say? I too love this set!)

fop

Secret Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been working on an enemy airship area! Still quite unfinished but coming along.

How to escape an airship.

Step one: break out of jail.
jail.PNG

Step two: do a bunch of stuff [not pictured] to unlock a door to the engine room...

Step three: cut through the engine room. (Ignore the cat, it's to remind me to event a cutscene there lol.)
engine room.PNG

Step four: steal an escape pod.
escape pod deck.PNG

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@fob - I am loving the airship interior and that sprite. Zooming in it looks like a very pixelized style that I see a lot recently. That new retro look. Did you create those assets yourself?

fop

Secret Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Guardinthena Thanks so much! The sprite is my own work but everything else is just mixed and mashed tilesets with my own edits to them. It's considered kind of a sin in the rpgmaker world to mix tilesets of different styles, but I don't have the time to make my own assets so I just try to make do with what's available.

edit: forgot to mention that there's some distortion in the screenshots bc I have in-game zoom effects that distort the pixels.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Eden019 The map feels a bit on the large side. Could you possibly condense it a bit? That way you could get rid of all those shelves with what appears to be bottles of alcohol on them - I doubt any pub keeper would leave them where the customers could grab them. I'm also wondering why the bottom left corner is the shape it is. It seems an odd feature.

Generally speaking I am doubtful that a pub would put down a bit of carpeting alongside the bar where drink will be spilt and dirty shoes mess it up quick time. Instead maybe you could use the dirty floor tile and mess up the pristine state of the whole floor.

I am also curious about how the barkeeper gets out from behind the bar.

Neonzumi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Recently, I've been making a lot of parallax maps of a couple areas for chapter 2 of my game. Here is where Seriosa Rabbit is hiding from her opposite twin sister, Rubia Rabbit.
Cheddar Con Carne - Prelude to Whimsicality 10_1_2022 9_59_36 AM.png
Cheddar Con Carne - Prelude to Whimsicality 10_1_2022 9_59_46 AM.png

Eden019

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Empty
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Kes
Thanks for the suggestion, there are a few things I keep such as the the shelves with bottles of alcohol, I also add a waiter near the shelves to assist the bartender.

also the stage floor with the pianist has been modified as well. *forgot to add a chair, there.

1664689692312.png

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just finished with the Forgotten Prison in the Swamp level I am building. I might add a little more to this later, maybe break some more walls up or something? I am not sure if I should create the maps that lead to the Forgotten Prison next or the interior.SwampPrison2.PNGSwampPrison1.PNG

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Guardinthena Nice map. The only things I would like to suggest would be to emphasise slightly more that this is in a swamp setting. So, for example, a couple of stagnant pools inside the prison because the land drains taking away any rain would have got blocked a long time ago. Maybe fungus or something growing in odd corners. The ground, apart from the grass growing over the (surprisingly intact) tiles, could perhaps have a bit more general plant debris. I think what I'm getting at is that this long neglected prison looks so neat and tidy.

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes - Challenge accepted. I completely forgot the stone steps leading into the prison. So thank you for pointing that out. And after taking your notes into suggestion, I think it does look so much better now. Just reviewing the images from earlier today to now is such a huge improvement.

SwampPrison2.PNGSwampPrison3.PNGPrisonSwamp1.PNG

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Interior of a bus, may do more vehicle interiors :kaoswt2:
1670089782219.png
I can hardly believe it is the third day of Christmas and I have yet to put up decorations! Spending my morning cooking breakfast and getting them up.
https://itch.io/s/83641/1-week-sale Do you want a Roguelike game like a turn-based Hades? Get Zodiac Hunters now while it's on sale!
2-0!!
1670083194124.png

Sorry to my fellow RPG maker users who are in the USA... We're kicking your butts! :)
(It's 2-0 at half time in the 8th finals of the WC Soccer. Loser goes home.)
At a store was a taste testing booth for Swiss cookies. After mentioning I'm Swiss, the guy gifted me a bunch of samples "in the spirit of an early St Nicholas". Made my day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albedo092