Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Roxus even if its a nice plugin it doesn't work in VXA if he/she is
using that, as the plugin is for MV/MZ :)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
double check the primarily use of the engine or ask him/her what
engine they use before target a script/plugin :)

as ruby script wont work in MV/MZ, javascript plugins dont work
in RM2K/VA/VXA.

so answering to fast can mislead the direction of "not working".
so if it's here, check primarily use or on top of the forum which engine
they need help with :)

Arkhanis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Arkhanis Your game looks very environmental and cool.
The look and feel of the game is very... welcoming.
As Kes and ShadowDragon have pointed out, the cave being so bright feels a little off.
Maybe adding one of the Light scripts like Shora Lighting System will work really well with the feel of your game?

Edit: Cave looks a lot better with the Visibility script.
Gives it a much more natural feel.
Thank you Roxus!
I appreciate your feedback, i'm constantly improving this project on my free time, i hope it gets as good as i want it to be, someday.

thenerdmansion

Graphic Design/Complex Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
It’s and older screenshot and I don’t think I like the blue car models so I’ll probably make new car models again. Story wise I haven’t built enough story to make it into this map yet but I’m open to hear some comments :).
AAF48D87-1707-4620-95FD-14016E86B355.jpeg

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@thenerdmansion, yea, blue cars totally look like they from Little Big Adventure :kaoluv: Otherwise yo map looks pretty good with that early 2000s 3D vibe, I kinda dig it altho the mood is a bit too edgy for my sweet nerves! :biggrin: Looks like a cutscene-heavy map, didja plan some gameplay on it too?

thenerdmansion

Graphic Design/Complex Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
@alice_gristle Not much gameplay on this map. Just a map with a bridge that takes you from the city to a battle stadium :). A small cutscene was planned on this map that was meant to show a dragon wrecking hacking in it before reaching the stadium but the story has changed a bit since this map was created and now it just serves as a bridge to get to the stadium which probably means it wont have damaged cement :).

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The twin forge, where you'll be able to get your augments crafted, provided you bring the materials and coin to do so.
I think the map looks very neat. Just to put forth the opinion, I feel you went overboard on the lighting effects.

Unless your world has multiple suns, you wouldn't be getting equal amounts of light coming in the windows on the north wall and the south.

Also, some of the lighting seems a little inaccurately placed - in the forge map, you can see the southern light is overlaying the ceiling above the window.

The same is visible on your other screenshots where there's light coming from the southern ceilings and also on the walls surrounding the northern windows.

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the map looks very neat. Just to put forth the opinion, I feel you went overboard on the lighting effects.

Unless your world has multiple suns, you wouldn't be getting equal amounts of light coming in the windows on the north wall and the south.

Also, some of the lighting seems a little inaccurately placed - in the forge map, you can see the southern light is overlaying the ceiling above the window.

The same is visible on your other screenshots where there's light coming from the southern ceilings and also on the walls surrounding the northern windows.
Funny that you say that. Those southern lights I JUST added lol. I suppose I'll just get rid of them. Not a big fan of those either. I'm not very well versed in the way of lighting and I don't think I can make the southern lights look any less awkward.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Funny that you say that. Those southern lights I JUST added lol. I suppose I'll just get rid of them. Not a big fan of those either. I'm not very well versed in the way of lighting and I don't think I can make the southern lights look any less awkward.
If they were dimmer than the northern ones (or if the northern were dimmer than those) then it would create a sense of directionality that might feel more natural. As it is, they kinda jumped out at me from the picture as, "Oh, the sun is shining from all directions."

Of course, just my opinion.

But there would still be the placement to adjust.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@SGHarlekin There is a separate issue with the lighting. I'll use an example from the first map but you will find equivalents in all the maps.

1668716865297.png
The sprite is in front of the window. The light from the window naturally falls on the couch and lightens/brightens it. That's fine. But if you look at the sprite you can see that the light is also lighting up her front. That is an impossibility. The only part of her which would catch the light would be the top of her head and maybe her knees if the light were high enough. (It's not, imo). Her front should be in the shade.

If you go down a couple of maps to where you have stacks of wood in front of the window. Not only is the front of the stack illuminated but so is the floor, right up to the beginning of the stack - yet that should be in shadow.

Overall, everything is lit as if the light source were in front of the objects, not behind them.

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If they were dimmer than the northern ones (or if the northern were dimmer than those) then it would create a sense of directionality that might feel more natural. As it is, they kinda jumped out at me from the picture as, "Oh, the sun is shining from all directions."

Of course, just my opinion.

But there would still be the placement to adjust.
Absolutely legit points. Appreciate it too. Making them a little more dim might indeed help. But yeah, I don't think I can transform the light in a way that makes it look better, so getting rid of it it'll be lol. Think they lood good enough without them too. :D

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SGHarlekin There is a separate issue with the lighting. I'll use an example from the first map but you will find equivalents in all the maps.

View attachment 245326
The sprite is in front of the window. The light from the window naturally falls on the couch and lightens/brightens it. That's fine. But if you look at the sprite you can see that the light is also lighting up her front. That is an impossibility. The only part of her which would catch the light would be the top of her head and maybe her knees if the light were high enough. (It's not, imo). Her front should be in the shade.

If you go down a couple of maps to where you have stacks of wood in front of the window. Not only is the front of the stack illuminated but so is the floor, right up to the beginning of the stack - yet that should be in shadow.

Overall, everything is lit as if the light source were in front of the objects, not behind them.
That is true as well. And not something I can even attempt to fix as this would either require me to do paralax mapping, or make shadow tiles for eyh individual shadow. Neither of which iI can do.

Valid point again. But nothing I can fix or even think it nesessarily needs fixing.

Edit: oops.. Sorry for the double post, realized too late.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a separate issue with the lighting.
This doesn't bother me as much because I'm looking down at them from above, so I think it's about correct that looking down through a shaft of light would cause what's underneath to look lighter.

The other thing is that due to the limitations of 2D graphics, I'm positive that every traditional sprite-based game has this if you pick at specific shots closely enough :wink:

If it were part of a drawn background, it's a fair critique. But for maps with moving events and tiles placed in the editor, there's not really a way to change it unless you just don't use light effects. Even the lighting plugins I've looked at with dynamic stuff only attempt to apply shadows based on which tiles are defined as walls/roofs.

Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all! Looking for some general feedback on light and shadow. It's been awhile since I've taken a shot at this, and I was never great at it to begin with. Went with a motion blur on diagonal brush strokes for the light beams, with some small highlights here and there, and then a half transparent shadow layer where objects meet the ground for some depth? Still doesn't feel quite right though. Thoughts on how to tweak it, or even a different direction altogether?

Map.png

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Gabrelik I think what you have, as is, looks great. I like the shading on the trees, the straw roof, and especially around the lanterns.

In terms of the light rays, I'm not particularly put off by them either. I like what you have done and described with the blur and opacity.

Since you are asking for suggestions, you could consider trying:
  • Angling the rays from a single point of origin instead of having the rays be parallel
  • Adding a very subtle radial or diagonal gradient to suggest ambient sunlight, either in addition to or instead of the rays
However, I still think what you have looks very good.

@Iron_Brew Really glad to see you still posting new stuff. It's always enjoyable. I like the hand-drawn border effect that you've accomplished with your window skin.

Last edited:

Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Gabrelik I think what you have, as is, looks great. I like the shading on the trees, the straw roof, and especially around the lanterns.

In terms of the light rays, I'm not particularly put off by them either. I like what you have done and described with the blur and opacity.

Since you are asking for suggestions, you could consider trying:
  • Angling the rays from a single point of origin instead of having the rays be parallel
  • Adding a very subtle radial or diagonal gradient to suggest ambient sunlight, either in addition to or instead of the rays
However, I still think what you have looks very good.
Thanks! I'll definitely try those out. I've just started going in and dodging various places where it feels like the sunlight might also hit, and I think we're getting closer. I appreciate the feedback! :)

Map.png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Debugging multiplayer issues... I'm having fun, right?
yay_streaming.jpg

For just starting streaming on the 10th... Definitely not the worst. :LZScheeze:

Granted I need 333.34 hours a month on average to achieve money. So I don't really expect that, but it sure has helped my game dev go much faster.
Proud on how this map turned out.

FnmhDLIXgAAOvIC
I just finally fixed a huge problem that wouldn’t let my game load and would crash it.. I thought that I was gonna have to trash the project and start over lol
The feeling when you finally found and killed that one gamebreaker that you could not really grasp before.:kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snotery