Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Went with a motion blur on diagonal brush strokes for the light beams,
I'd add a touch of Gaussian blur as well. The edges are, imo, still too starkly defined.

Angling the rays from a single point of origin instead of having the rays be parallel
This I don't agree with. If you look at sunlight in any situation you will see that there is almost never a single origin point, unless the sun is breaking through fairly dense cloud. The sun is simply too far away and too big to have a specific, observable origin point.

Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd add a touch of Gaussian blur as well. The edges are, imo, still too starkly defined.

This I don't agree with. If you look at sunlight in any situation you will see that there is almost never a single origin point, unless the sun is breaking through fairly dense cloud. The sun is simply too far away and too big to have a specific, observable origin point.
Thanks, Kes!

I've been implementing different feedback and experimenting with the look. Definitely agree on the extra Gaussian. A friend also suggested going without the sunbeams entirely and focusing on the dodge/bloom look to imply the sun's presence? I appreciate you taking the time to help! :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@knightron Nice section of cave. The only thing I would mention is that your cliffs and ground are a reddish brown, but your boulders are grey. I think the map would look more cohesive if you coloured these to match the stone on which they are found.

FervorCraft

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
A screenshot from our (early access) game Charon - Zhetan Chronicles (new release probably in Q1 2023):
charon_zc_20221126_01.png
The Grand Marshal summons the knights of the Order of the Arkanian's Sword and Shield for some military operation, it seems...
They also got magitech cannons properly sanctioned by the gods. :wink:

Greetings,
FervorCraft

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@FervorCraft I find it a little odd that you have canons positioned pointing both out of the castle - presumably at any attacking forces - and inwards. Who are those aimed at? It looks somewhat strange, imo.

FervorCraft

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@FervorCraft I find it a little odd that you have canons positioned pointing both out of the castle - presumably at any attacking forces - and inwards. Who are those aimed at? It looks somewhat strange, imo.
that becomes more clear ingame, tbh. xD
What you're looking at is the space between two sets of walls placed behind each other.
There is also a set walls further to the south, bc this location is basically a fortified border fortress you can access both from north and south. That is why some cannons are also pointed to the south by default in case some attack comes from there. Main focus is the north though and that is why most cannons in the screenshot are pointed towards that (Also all cannons can turned around, if the need arises).
Like I said: it's less confusing ingame when you have the proper context of how the location is built.

Greetings,
FervorCraft

KDS

KDS
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here is a small map i just made :)
HBXrBoB.png

Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have been thinking about recording myself during parallax mapping for a while, so I gave it a try.
I might do a few more in the future!

View attachment 246869

This was super enjoyable to watch, and a great way to learn as well! I can imagine there'd be quite a few here that would follow more content like this. Thanks for sharing, Plue!

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here's my progress so far on my post apocalyptic world map. Locations are marked with different sized shapes similar to Fallout 1/2 to denote map size.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@cthulhusquid I clicked on the image to see it at a higher resolution and it took me to a blank imgur page. I'm wondering if you have set it to private?

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@cthulhusquid I clicked on the image to see it at a higher resolution and it took me to a blank imgur page. I'm wondering if you have set it to private?
No, it's a glitch with Firefox if you are using that, try another browser. Imgur does this from time to time where it won't load images.

Reactions: Kes

knightron

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wrong idea. Ignore please. Sorry for the bump.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@kkyyy1 Even when opening the image in a new tab it is still too small to see any detail at all.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kkyyy1 I can see the map just fine tho! :kaoluv: It's a pretty nice village, as far as such villages go! Errything quite nicely spaced out, trees and stuff look pretty natural, good job! :wub Cud you work on that "hidden" path to the west a bit tho? Maybe just not make it so straight? As it is, it kinda sticks out in the wrong way! :biggrin:

Also how about those two small houses in the lower left corner? They exactly identical? I wud try and give the other some personal touch to not make it look like it's copy-pasted! :biggrin: :kaoswt2:

Oh, and is your game gonna use some kinda 8-directional movement? Just wondering, 'cuz if I were limited to standard 4-directional movement, the diagonal paths would irritate the hecks outta me! :biggrin: I realise that's probs personal preference, but something to chew on!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@kkyyy1 I did and it came up as a tiny image just a couple of centimetres across. Maybe that hosting site simply doesn't like Firefox?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Debugging multiplayer issues... I'm having fun, right?
yay_streaming.jpg

For just starting streaming on the 10th... Definitely not the worst. :LZScheeze:

Granted I need 333.34 hours a month on average to achieve money. So I don't really expect that, but it sure has helped my game dev go much faster.
Proud on how this map turned out.

FnmhDLIXgAAOvIC
I just finally fixed a huge problem that wouldn’t let my game load and would crash it.. I thought that I was gonna have to trash the project and start over lol
The feeling when you finally found and killed that one gamebreaker that you could not really grasp before.:kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snotery