Game & Map Screenshots 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lunarea, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmickitty

cosmickitty Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    maybe odd for me to respond here... but i'll forget otherwise, the animated background moves crazy fast, some crazy spiders.  Cape does need some work, i hadn't watched it animated :(

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
  2. hian

hian Biggest Boss Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    So, I'm experimenting with my new battlers:

So far, I've made about 100(some are only size variations), and have about 400 left until I'm finished with all of them. Once I've gone over the edits, removed the ones I don't feel fit in, and those that don't turn out well after the editing process, I expect I'll have about 400+ "cell shade, side-view" battlers like this.

(I'm considering toning down the saturation to have the battlers blend better with the system,

but the bright colors have kinda grown on me despite the fact that they clash a bit.)

Here's a preview -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More inside here(I'm sorry for using the same battleback for all of them, but I haven't made any others for the game yet):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just for the lulz, this will in all likelihood not be featured in the game

[​IMG]

Kaimi likes this.
  3. Aceri

Aceri Author Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A lot of those characters look like you ripped them from a Final Fantasy game (the one on the top especially reminds me of the Shinra boss in FFVII), and the kobolds kind of look like the ones from WoW. That being said though they look good, but maybe a little out of place being a 2D game platform with 3D characters is kind of distracting, no offense.

Also, be prepared not to use all of those battlers you plan on making. It's good that you seem to enjoy making them and seems like you're good at it, but don't force your game to fit all 500+ ones you plan to make. Use the ones that make sense to the game, and then afterwords put the others towards another project, or else the game will start to feel jumbled as far as bestiary is concerned.

4. hian

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Not ripped. The images used for reference are freely available, and have not been taken from the actually data files, and as my project is a non-commercial tribute to square games, their usage are covered by fair use laws in most parts of the world(NA included).

(If mods find the posting of these offensive, even if they aren't posted as resources, please delete the post.)

(Nothing from WoW though)

I have no plans on using all of the battlers, as that would require ridiculous amount of planning, and balancing. However, I like to have a lot to go on, so that I can sort out the ones I'm happiest with afterwards, and do a second round of editing for more consistency.

As for the style, I'd say that's a matter of preference. The color palette I'm working with doesn't fit the original battlers(I happen to think they look horrible anyways, so not much of an issue).

I'm still experimenting to "take the 3d" out of the models, and give them a more "drawn" look. Some more successful than others. We'll see how it goes.

5. Aceri

Aceri Author Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well you don't necessarily have to take the 3D out of it, just as long as everything else matches. There are some games out there that have successfully done the 2D-3D thing(though I can't remember their name off the top of my head).

Well knowing now that it's a final fantasy fan-game the battlers make more sense, so my apologizes on that end.

6. hian

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Well, I'd say it matches in game, with the battle-animations, and the coloring. But, you are right on the perspective. I'm not sure how it will pan out.

I have a lot on my plate for the moment, but most of these were just for show. Once I've narrowed down the once I plan on using, and finished editing, we'll see how it goes.

7. AeonSpark

AeonSpark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I thought I might put in a screenshot!

Couldn't figure out the spoiler tool though!

Apologies for the size

[​IMG]

This is a callback to Final Fantasy 6's overwater inn/pub. 

I hope you like it!

Clareain_Christopher likes this.
  8. Aceri

Aceri Author Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That looks pretty cool, and reminds me of the old days haha. Don't forget to shift+click the water behind the pub though.

EDIT:

Also, what you could do to make the roof of the building not look so boxy and make it look like it's an angled roof(unless boxy is what you were going for), try taking the shadow tile and throwing a row or two of shadow down on the roof right below the smoke stacks(I say smoke stacks because I am totally brain farting on how to spell chimneys. Oh hey that one worked! WOOOOT!) being as how you have the shadows on the ground floor bending to the south of the screen. It might add depth to an otherwise flat rooftop.

EDIT EDIT:

Also you can (depending where you imagine your light source to be) slap a row or two of shadows on the balconies or just under the cleft of the rooftop and balcony tiles.

9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Speaking of where the light source might be, I was confused trying to work it out as the main walls throw shadows on both the right and the left hand sides.  I assume from the shadows on the fencing that it should be coming from the left, in which case, you need to eliminate the main wall shadow on the left side of the building.

10. Xeno_Salazar

Xeno_Salazar War Mage Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey all, my first time here and my first map :)  Wanted to know what everyone thinks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tastica and Clareain_Christopher like this.
  11. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Xeno_Salazar

Interesting.  The colours, particularly of the grass, are too strong/saturated for my taste, though I accept that others may think differently - such a difficult one, personal taste in colours.  There are a couple of things, though.  The top section of your house throws no shadow onto the roof beneath it.  This adds to the difficulty of making that particular style of house+roof appear to have depth.  I think the shadows thrown by the main section could do with a bit of attention as well.  I find the cliffs interesting, and can't decide whether I like them or not.  They appear to be more or less diagonal at the bottom, and the usual boxy curve at the top.  This sort of gives the impression of walls that are in the process of slow collapse, bulging out at the bottom - is that the intended effect?

12. Aceri

Aceri Author Veteran

First Language:
    English
    All in all I think it looks good. I have never used RMVX so the color scheme might be default for VX or perhaps you changed it, I can't tell. My question is though, those dark spots on the grass, is that supposed to be cloud shadows? And if it is, is it animated or static? Also, are there crystals there for a particular reason or just for flare? If it's just for flare I would consider replacing them with trees or bushes as just as a decoration piece they seem out of place with the theme of the map.

And lastly, I agree with ksjp17 about the shadowing. Don't forget to use the shadow tool(if VX has one) for depth. Also, the cobblestone path leading to the little island behind the house would probably make more sense if it was a land bridge not a stone walkway.

That's just my two cents though, but overall the map looks good.

13. Xeno_Salazar

Xeno_Salazar War Mage Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, the strong colors are from me using GIMP's burn effect on the greens cause they seemed a little washed out, as well as the yellow tint I have for daylight. I tend to like heavy saturation, but I can certainly see how others wouldn't.

Shadows: You're 100% right, I haven't touched them yet. I knew I forgot something. LoL.

The cliffs are my attempt at making them look a bit less square like, but nah, not supposed to seem like it's about to collapse, haha, after all, her house is built up there.

The grass spots are basically just supposed to be subtle changes in elevation, the regular grass seemed way too flat and uniform. They're static for now, was considering animating them at some point.

The crystals are a natural part of my game's world, they grow there normally just like any other plant or tree, and can be collected by the player. I figured they may stick out a bit, I'll have to try to find some more natural looking ones.

14. Aceri

Aceri Author Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Natural gems form from within rocks. I would recommend getting the DS pack and/or japanese tiles pack, they have good natural looking gems in them.

15. Hororo

Hororo Home run King Veteran

my first map :o anyone can help me improve it :o

school hallway

[​IMG]

c0sa likes this.
  16. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English

This is a callback to Final Fantasy 6's overwater inn/pub. 

I hope you like it!

You should half the size of that river. The building looks WAYYYY too huge. FF6 had a much better size proportion.

The graphic for "lighting" is completely unnecessary and looks distracting. Other than that the map looks alright.

This map looks fine, but in regards to your signature, Lon'qu is the best character with girl phobia. UPDATE DAWG.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
    Clareain_Christopher likes this.
  17. Ooda

Ooda Hm, You Called? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Alright, so I haven't posted on this new Game+Map Screenshots thread, so I thought I'd share a map that's been hella edited in photoshop.

[​IMG]

To be honest, I'm still a little foggy about what this scene was meant to represent and what not.

Any feedback would be great, because I'm kinda digging this "dark" theme I've got going. :3

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to add this earlier buttt-- Credits to Celianna for the Temple Tiles used in this shot!^_^

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
    ShinGamix, Soma, c0sa and 2 others like this.
  18. Abi

Abi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Puts me strongly in mind of a certain scene from Sword Art Online.

I like it.

Archduke and Ooda like this.
  19. Archduke

Archduke Jack of all Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It has a very strong vibe... not sure what it is. Death? No, can't be that, hahah.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2013
  20. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

That would be a good scene for some comedic RPG game. It would turn out that it was just a prank set up by the guards and that red stuff would be just a ketchup.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.