Game & Map Screenshots 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lunarea, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tastica

Tastica Belongs to the Guild Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I think the characters look somehow more realistic with stretching them a little bit. I like them that way. Maybe I need to update the trees a little bit to make them look more realistic. That´s my thought about the titelset.

Now here is an example how the characters look together with the new size:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is just a first preview 4 the resized characters. They are usally not seen in my project ´on Vacation´.

graithallerne and Sievnn like this.
  2. light487

light487 Parrot Keeper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Fair enough :) I think if you make everything else match up with that size it doesn't look out of place.. just that some of the objects and textures being used look a bit strange when they stand next to them. Having said that however, there's nothing wrong with that if you feel it looks right because that's your artistic interpretation of things.

Tastica likes this.
  3. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @RPG-Baze
    They look weird only because they've been stretched, so the pixels blend with each other. It's very obvious next to everything else in your screenshots which are not stretched and blended together. You're using a lot of resources that don't complement each other very well. Otherwise, I like the maps.

@Sievn

I agree with the earlier comments, I think it's too busy and there are many unnecessary elements.

Since we're showing title screens, I need some input. I have two versions, one without a background animation and one with.

Here's the one without

Here's the one with.

I think the one with the animation seems a bit forceful, radiates outwards too much or its too visible. I'm thinking of making it radiate in a smaller area behind the logo instead of outward nearly to the borders.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
    Tastica likes this.
  4. hian

hian Biggest Boss Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    So, some screenies from my game. Demo soon to be released.

New(and hopefully final) title screen:

[​IMG]

Battle-scenes, with new animated player battlers, and Final Fantasy enemy battlers(all of it is self-made)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

light487 and Tastica like this.
  5. Tastica

First Language:
    German
    I love Final Fantasy from Sqaresoft & like your battlers therefore very much. The Plantbattlers I remember very well from Final Fantasy VIII. One of my favorite games ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  6. light487

light487 Parrot Keeper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @seita - I like both titles but if you're going to go with the background animation one, you need to remove the floating balls of light or at least tone them down.. it's all a bit too much when you have both

7. Sievnn

Sievnn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    - The title is a mess, none of the images relate to each other and they all have a different art style. It's like you've went to google image search and grabbed the first four pictures you like.

I don't see any thing wrong with the background, they all relate to the story and some story events.

[​IMG]

You do not like the style of the writing or the simple arrow (gloves)?

Could you suggest more "creative" background or more create art style of writing?

Tastica likes this.
  8. Sievnn

Sievnn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Both of them really makes the title over shadow the background other wise pretty cool.

but the background is barley visible.

9. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I'd like it if you didn't hack open my game and used the resource there.

You could have AT LEAST asked if I even allow use of it. You're already using the free stuff I had prepared in my blog, please respect my private games.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  10. Whiterose

Whiterose Editor Mapping Adept Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @hian: Very nostalgic. A shout back to the old games, makes me all tingly inside. Just a question if I may. Are the enemy battlers animated or static? I feel if they were animated they would be nicer than static battlers, they just would look a bit off as static battlers.

@seita: I prefer the one that isn't pulsing. The first is more calming, matches the background, the pulsing effect is a bit harsh. If you wish to keep it then tone down the pulse a lot maybe even just a slight pulse, noticeable but not overpowering.

@RPG-Baze: Not to sound entirely negative, but I dislike a lot about the first image. The mishmash of tiles plus the over extended character sprites, the trees that are very fuzzy... it's got quite a few negatives. I understand you like those sprites, but they seem too fuzzy to be detailed enough. There are a lot of resources out there that contain bigger sprite styles, you may be able to locate one like that which is not so fuzzy, the same applies to the tree tiles: Celianna, Lunarea and Indrah are some names that come to mind when I think of tiles.

The second image, aside from the sprites in that, is the carpet. It moulds too perfectly to the walls, throwing off the sense of depth. if you wish the have that carpet everywhere, there are a few mapping techniques you can learn. Holding the shift key for instance when putting down a tile will turn it into a tile similar to that on the A5 sheet (which contains the stairs) you have to be careful though cause most auto-tiles that you place next to or over them will mix with it. Here is a simple room to help you understand.

[​IMG]
    Sorry if you already know this, but I bet it can help you a lot. There are tutorials out there that go into more detail. Luchino-chan is a good person to look at, their maps are all tile set based like mine.

========

And speaking of my maps, here is a WIP dungeon for Forever (that game that is taking me so long that I am thinking of changing its name.) It also features my RTP style faces that I drew... well one of them.

[​IMG]

It's meant to be a waterway, I was aiming for dark and dank without it being too dark, making navigation still possible.

c0sa, Soma, Ruby and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tastica

First Language:
    German
    Thanx 4 useful hints & so on. Your Dungeon is nice Whiterose.

Well my project first started. I did not even had finised characters yet. :D

But I can´t hide my small new art from me... :D

It´s nothing special but i´m happy for this young woman here:

[​IMG]

Just a little scenery out of ´On VaCation´ finally with a character from the game itself. Stretched one? Yes :D

She got nice hips now I think. Seen? :D

Without stretching the character looks so square somehow. That´s my opinion.

But everyone got his own liking.

Sievnn likes this.
  12. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

It just clashes with the tiles, no matter how much you like it.

If you really want taller characters, then use the FSM characters. They're taller.

13. Tastica

First Language:
    German
    Thanx 4 the link.

Sorry for this but I did not understand the word ´clashes´. I was serching in dictionary, but I could not find this word. My fault, you know... I´m german...

Maybe you could explain me somehow closer this word, that I can work on the problems you see.

Would be nice, Lunarea, because I like to use my own sprites...

14. Lunarea

It means that they don't fit well together. In other words, it looks like the tiles belong to one game and the characters to a completely different game.

If the tiles are not stretched, then the character needs to also not be stretched.

15. Sievnn

Sievnn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Huh? I remember seeing the "Woman portrait" in the shot online some where, I hope I did not use it without your permission. I saw it online some where from an Unencrypted game demo, Maybe from some one who toke it from your game.

If you would like me to remove it I am ok with it. I was going to credit you any ways for the Amazing portraits you reveal in Divineheaven but I didn't plan to take some thing from you without my permission.

16. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    If you could give me the link in PM I would appreciate it. And please remove it. She's an original character with an important role in my story. 

17. Sievnn

Sievnn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If I knew she was yours I wouldn't use her.
    My apologies. I love the public resources you post in divisionheaven.

Why would that be? they all belong to the same time line and they are wearing the same type of clothes. I am confused about what you said.

18. Lunarea

I was explaining to RPG Baze what 'clashing' means.

It's nothing to do with the character design.

19. Sievnn

Sievnn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Its all good and like I said if I knew it was yours I wouldn't post it.

And here updated it, although it doesn't fit.

[​IMG]

Oh and Luna I thought you were speaking to me.

I don't know why people don't like sparks should I completely remove them?

20. Sievnn

Sievnn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Love it except for 1 thing the characters looks terribly tall as if they were stretched. I also Love the lighting.

Stretching them doesn't make them better, their are a lot of tall sprites that looks more normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.