Not open for further replies.

TimmyTheNerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Luchino: Love the colour combinations you've got going on in that area. The brown, sandy ruins work really well against the vibrant green. Nice video too btw. Any game that has elements of FFXII is a game I'll probably be a big fan of. :)

@Choco: Really liking what you've done there. Nice and simple but really pretty.

Snapped a screen showing off a Tileset I still work on from time to time. I should probably finish it at some point haha...
How do you do things like this? I've been having problems with overlays and I can't find any tutorials for using overlays. I was told it's a simple picture event, but everytime I try the overlay isn't positioned correctly and the game freezes.

Last edited by a moderator:

PixelLuchi

Quiet Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
@TimmytheNerd: It's a Fog Overlay script. There's a tutorial on how I did those effects, but I don't know if a similar script exists for VXAce. I should put that link back in my signature. ._.

Just added a Trader's outpost to the game to make trading of loot easier.

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@TimmytheNerd: It's a Fog Overlay script. There's a tutorial on how I did those effects, but I don't know if a similar script exists for VXAce. I should put that link back in my signature. ._.

Just added a Trader's outpost to the game to make trading of loot easier.

That map looks awesome, but on the left by the trees, I can notice the change in tint between the grass under the trees and the grass bordering the dirt. It isn't crucial, but I just thought you should know :)

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here's a couple of maps from Kimberly Flats in my VN that I'm showing~

jv25

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
@Chaos AvianI really like the second map, the sink looks kinda odd on the wall where there should be a door tho.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a couple of maps from Kimberly Flats in my VN that I'm showing~
First screenshot

The main room seems quite large... and empty. Is this a reception room? Then why is there a kitchen next to it? And why is there water?

The thing on the wall to the kitchen looks off (it's some kind of fancy clock?), it's too large. Enough chairs for 16 people in one room, seems like overkill unless it's a restaurant.

Second screenshot

Why is there a sink on the wall instead of a door?

Also, a mirror right above the bed doesn't seem to be practical or logical at all.

Spanky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First screenshot

The main room seems quite large... and empty. Is this a reception room? Then why is there a kitchen next to it? And why is there water?

The thing on the wall to the kitchen looks off (it's some kind of fancy clock?), it's too large. Enough chairs for 16 people in one room, seems like overkill unless it's a restaurant.

Second screenshot

Also, a mirror right above the bed doesn't seem to be practical or logical at all.
I can think of a few pracital and logical reasons for a mirror above the bed.  >:3

Chaneque

Prince of Strange Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I put mirrors in stupid places. 

TimmyTheNerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The Entrance hall for the Guild. The stairs on the right lead up to the Magic Classroom, the stairs on the left lead up to the Combat Classroom.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hoping I didn't mess with the spoiler and the image upload.

Here is my first actual screenshot for my game.

This is a small town mostly viewed through a cutscene, even though you can wander a bit in it.

There are certainly a lot of noobie mistakes...

But I think I'll go and create my maps on the run, gaining EXP with practice and getting critics.

So I can become a better mapper to redo the first ones.

Until I reach level max :) .

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had previous threads about me being a newbie at map-making, so this is one map I just finished working on. (Uses Mack Spring tiles + RTP)

There will be a town up north of here, so I put a mossy log pointing towards civilization. The owner of the house lives by himself over here a walks-away from the city, so basic forest living he grows a bit of crops and chops his own wood and such.

Whaddaya think peoples? lol

Spanky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hoping I didn't mess with the spoiler and the image upload.

Here is my first actual screenshot for my game.

This is a small town mostly viewed through a cutscene, even though you can wander a bit in it.

There are certainly a lot of noobie mistakes...

But I think I'll go and create my maps on the run, gaining EXP with practice and getting critics.

So I can become a better mapper to redo the first ones.

Until I reach level max :) .

Point out newb mistakes please.  >_>

Doobles

That guy...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@cabfe

If anything I'd say the trees are very inconsistent.  Besides that the mapping is fine with me.

@kerbonklin

When you look in the water at the bottom, there are the underwater wall tiles, if you look to the left there are 3 spots those walls should be as well.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First screenshot

Second screenshot

First Screenshot: This is a lobby/ lounge area. I haven't filled it up yet so it does look large. I'm using Mack styled characters so when it has NPCs in it it'll look more fleshed out. Each floor has their own communal kitchen hence why the  kitchen is there. The 'fancy' clock is really just an aesthetic design, not an actual clock, like a wallpaper. The water is an indoor fountain that looks like a pool. I've seen a few in some hotels, really cool :3

Second Screenshot: Yeah, it did look weird so I fixed it up, put a mirror where the sink was and extended the bathroom by one tile to fit it in~

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Doobles

Thank you for your advice.

I made another version with less contrast for the different trees. But maybe I should get rid of one or two types of them. I wanted variety, but I may have added too much types.

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 @Doobles

Ah, yes thanks for pointing that out. Silly me.

DeviTheHuman

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ChaosAvian

The drop shadows on the sidewalk near the light post makes it look as though its hovering or otherwise lifted off the ground.

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Cabfe: The bridge on your map doesn't look right. The pillar things to hold it up are designed to be in water, that's why they're blueish white on the bottom, they're suppsoed to be submerged. The way you have it looks very odd, in my opinion.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Zalerinian

Hum, now that you mention it, yes it looks strange.

I've deleted the bridge support pillars and kept the top wood logs.

I've redone the river width to be more consistent to have a bridge there, but it leads to nowhere interesting anyway.

Lorenze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The first section of the first level in my game. My main goal for this making it look nice and simple with a good amount of walking space.

The sprite and HUD will be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Today's patch of Eternal Dreamers is for all the gamblers out there! https://bit.ly/327mu83
i deleted anime only family guy from now on
I've discovered Stardew Valley and now I'm an addict. To think that one person designed this...
There a thread out there that tells us the best way to open an RPG that isn't 'the protag gets out of bed'?
Updated my state Stacker Script on itch.io, github is down for some reason (probs just me).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JosephTucker