Game & Map Screenshots 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lunarea, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travatar

Travatar Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell. Veteran

Brought to you by Florida: The original creators o
    First Language:
    English
    The stretching isn't a problem by itself. It's the fact that stretching blurs and pixellates the character. When people refer to "clashing", they're talking about inconsistency. Without the map-tiles looking blurred or pixelly, it makes the two styles look mis-matched (not matching.) the map-tiles look sharp and clear, where the character looks blurry.

I like pixellation and blurring doesn't bother me, but if that's you're style, I would suggest blurring (but not necessarily stretching) the map tiles to match it.

Another thing I would suggest-- and it's completely your decision to try it-- is this:

When stretching the sprite, try to take the top part of the head, and move it down to "squash" it into a rounder shape. This may require more adjustment with some characters than with others--for example, characters with a lot of hair, you may need to do this one small section at a time.

Also, try taking the bottom halves of the arms, and move them up a bit, to shorten the arms. It might not be a perfect solution, but by doing this, you may be able to make the sprite tall, but without over-stretching.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  2. cosmickitty

cosmickitty Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't think the issue is the stretching, it's the distortion, if you want XP size use XP sprites, if you want to keep VX style resize both the height and the width.

3. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    I agree with cosmickitty, either that or make your own sprites otherwise go with Travatar and (somewhat) heavily edit the sprites. Here I have a map of a House with it's basement study. I decided to merge the maps for merging sake~

[​IMG]

4. esby

esby eejit Veteran

Why even bother posting if this is your response, 8 people liked Robin's post. He/she is clearly making a point that people agree with, if you were smart you'd listen.

Tuomo L, Animus, Ronove and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tastica

Tastica Belongs to the Guild Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I like the style of your picture Chaos Avian :)

6. Ronove

Ronove ♫꒰・‿・๑꒱ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have to agree with what others have said about you stretching your sprites, RPG Blaze. It looks UGLY and looks like you didn't give them the proper time needed to make a good sprite. You've already been given alternatives (Mack sprites!), but you still insist on stretching? It's going to turn off a lot of players because again, it makes you look lazy and the assumption is lazy devs make lazy games. I think you should either stop the stretching or do what someone suggested in don't stretch the head and work slowly to stretch the body (like do it by hand, pixel by pixel if you want taller bodies, not by pulling).

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
    Animus and Harold Ållaberg like this.
  7. Soma

Soma Princess' Guard Veteran

First Language:
    Chopnese
    @nex Thanks for the advice~  :)  

@RPG-Baze I agree with everyone else, those stretched sprites really don't go well with everything. This is because the VX sprites are much smaller, and if you try stretching 'em..they just won't look right no matter whatcha do. Use Mack or XP sprites if you want your characters to be tall.

Another one from me from the GMD. It's not a map; just shows a slight edit I made to Yanfly'save script, for 3-person parties~  BD  (I'm aware of the squished words..not really much I can do about that though.)

[​IMG]

8. Felix Trapper

Felix Trapper old fogey Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Some custom cliff/water tiles I made today.

[​IMG]

c0sa, Ruby, Hollow and 3 others like this.
  9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Felix Trapper

Nice to do diagonal tiles, and I like the way the sea bed shelves off at different levels.  I just have a small question about the map itself.  Looking at it, t the area below the waterline must be the underwater section of the cliff, which is 2 tiles high, but if the water is so clear that I can see right down to the bottom like that, then I ought to be able to see the underwater part of the rocks standing on the sea bed as well, but there is no way that the rocks are 2 tiles high (plus the bit that sticks out of the water)  The result is that it looks like the rocks are floating, rather than coming out of the water.

10. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I criticised what Sievnn said because he was encouraging you to dismiss and to "not worry" about what was said because it's "still an opinion". You're telling me to accept there are other opinions than mine when my last post clearly acknowledges that some things are a matter of preference. This is not one of them.

I don't have to show you my own screenshots or videos before I can criticise your screenshots, and I have not been invidious.

Animus and Soma like this.
  11. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Felix Trapper

That's pretty to me! I'm terrible at mapping so I don't have any feedback, sorry!

Using my own bust drawing brings tears to my eyes no matter how terrible it may be. :p

[​IMG]

Also, I'm horrible with mapping exteriors. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rose wala leo, SOC, Hollow and 4 others like this.
  12. Felix Trapper

Felix Trapper old fogey Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks, but I'm not quite sure I follow you here. Perhaps I'm not understanding..?

Here is a picture from the editor which shows more of the scene. You will see that the cliffs appear to match up, the main section being 4 tiles deep, and the mid-section being 2 tiles and 2 tiles deep (2+2=4)

[​IMG]

13. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Your mapping is actually pretty dayum good. You should have more confidence yourself!~ :D

14. Soma

Soma Princess' Guard Veteran

First Language:
    Chopnese
    I agree Strawberrii, your maps are better than you think~ :)

15. Harkantos

Harkantos Warper Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Hi guys! I'm new here and i'm an italian maker :)
    I just want to show you some of my maps for receive advice! I hope you enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ok, that's all! XD

Thanks in advance for your comments :)

16. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Felix Trapper

I don't think I expressed myself clearly - sorry for that.  It's not the height of the underwater cliffs which I was querying, but the fact that the 2 (or 3 in the larger picture) rocks in the water appear to lack the same sort of depth.  Because the water is clear enough for me to see down to the sea bed (and that's why I can see the underwater sections of the cliffs), I should also be able to see the parts of these rocks which are also underwater and need to go down to the sea bed as well.  Because I can't see that, they appear to be floating, rather than coming up out of the water.

@strawberii

I like your maps as well.  I think they are consistently good.

@Harkantos

Impressive.

17. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Strawberri I love how bright your game is, the bust of the character looks like it fits in perfectly with the setting, there's nothing to be ashamed of considering how the originality really brings it to life.

@Felix I love your custom tiles, just the fact that they're custom really helps. What he means is, usually water isn't that crystal clear so the lower the underwater tiles are, the less we're able to see.

@Harkantos Very impressive, your parallaxing/overlaying is very advanced. What is your project called? I'm sure we'd all love to try it out.

18. Tastica

Tastica Belongs to the Guild Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Ok, that's all! XD

This is so extremly good! I like your shadows, lights and so...

Very nice graphic. Congratulations!

More of it :)

19. Harkantos

Harkantos Warper Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Thank you all :)

@seita: my primary game is named Dreams, but only the last screen belong to this project...

Here's a short video of Dreams' introduction:

For now there isn't a demo of this, sorry ):

(the game is obviously in italian, but in the future i can try to translate it) :)

20. Rose wala leo

Rose wala leo Ice Knight Member

First Language:
    Knighties
    Ok, that's all! XD

I like the zombies screenshot a lot! it's very scary!  :D really great work!  :)  

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.