Game & Map Screenshots 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lunarea, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whiterose

Whiterose Editor Mapping Adept Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @ Felix Trapper: Wow, those are really nice cliff tiles you have there. Good job.

@ Strawberrii: I agree with the others, your mapping is better than you say. The only small thing that bothers me is the cactus you have mixed in with the forest tiles, the one with the pink flowers on it. While I get where you were going with it, is looks weird because I will always see it as a cactus. I would consider changing it, though it is up to you.

Regarding your other screen, the left ear of the elven girl is bothering me, it looks too long, other than that everything else looks fine.

2. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A cactus? Huh? I didn't see no cactus. Either I'm nuts or you're nuts. :p

I noticed that her ear was too long, so I'm hoping it's not too difficult to fix since it's been resized from the original drawing. I'll probably fix it after getting these other bust portraits done. ^^

3. astigz23

astigz23 Novice Mapper Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Hello guys! I'm really a novice in using RPG maker (even I'm using it for 4 years now XD), so I want some advice from you. I need those because I really want to improve.

So, here are some screenshots of my current project:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I will really appreciate any positive or negative feedback from you.

4. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    I wouldn't say bad by any means. The out door one looks rather nice for somebody who appreciates simpler mapping styles. I'd recommend looking at Indrah's clumping guide, though, since you can easily customize your own tilesets that way to create an image of some parallaxing, without having to actually parallax.

As for the interior, that foyer has a lot of empty space. If you assume that one tile space represents approximately of about 3x3 feet of space, you're looking at a total of about 378 square foot area.

Even if you believe one tile square = about 2x2 feet of space, you still have about 168 square foot area, which is way too large for a foyer.

My suggestion would be to shrink down the foyer to a more manageable size, or give it something more than just a wide open space, like adding in a table for a receptionist.

5. Tastica

Tastica Belongs to the Guild Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I´ve started to use a nice bust script and am amazed by this option.

My first result is following:

[​IMG]

I need to improve my bust graphic a little bit more I think. :) (I know... :D )

The window type is also improvable...

I´ll work on it.

More Infos:

The Bustgraphic I made from a usual face from the Ace Character Generator, tuned it up and resized it with the Hawtkynt´s Resizer (XBR Filter).

By the way, this young woman is called Celine. Her neckwear I´ve drawn myself with impressive gimp...

:D

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
    Sievnn and Rose wala leo like this.
  6. Rose wala leo

Rose wala leo Ice Knight Member

First Language:
    Knighties
    Whoa! really nice!  :D

Tastica likes this.
  7. Carillon Nightmares

Carillon Nightmares One-Man Operation Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For goodness sakes RPG-Blaze. :(

Take my advice and use Mack's generator. Those stretched out sprites just don't look right. I'm sorry, it had to be said. I don't want you to release a game with good graphics, but stretchy, pix-elated sprites=P

Anyways, joking aside, the room looks a little too big. I'd cut down each side 2-3 tiles.

Tuomo L, Animus, Soma and 1 other person like this.
  8. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Nice one astigz23, your project looks good.

Anyway RPG-Baze. Stretching RPG Maker VX Ace generated portrait does not make it a bust. This is like talking to a brick wall at this point.

9. Tastica

Tastica Belongs to the Guild Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Yes, you need to know: The Developers of the Hawkynt Resizer are sureley proud on their work also. They did a good and usefull job... That´s for sure. I like to use that thing and I will not stop for someone working on a game for a flavor some people might do not have.

But that was already said.

10. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    RPG-Baze, you're bad. At first I thought your screenshot was bad, but now I realize YOU are bad because of your refusal to even consider criticism or see what is wrong with your screenshot. Your sprites are stretched and not meant to be that size, your poorly photoshopped portraits look bad and inconsistent. Your maps are super wide and don't look natural. You need to work on your skills brah, you're not cutting it right now.

How to fix this? Use busts that are the proper size and not stretched out. Can't draw them and are only capable of applying photoshop to VX Ace generated facesets? Then just use the face sets and give up on the busts.

Your maps? You're using tiles that are intended for 32x32 characters on a 32x32 grid and you're making them too wide to compensate for your 64x32 sprites that are just stretched out 32x32 sprites in photoshop. How do you fix this? Use 64x64 tiles & characters that are DRAWN that way, or just stick with the RTP's 32x32. It looks consistent and looks nice. Photoshopping RTP doesn't make the RTP look better, the way you're doing it makes it look worse.

You want to be different? That's fine, but you need to put in more effort because this simply isn't cutting it. You can either stick with what you're doing and make a terrible game, or you can work with what you have (the RTP and it's standards) and make a good game. OR, the fabulous option C) You can work harder and try to make a great game.

As it is, you're doing a bad job of it, and I think you're capable of doing a better job of it if you stop being stubborn and pay attention to feedback.

But I could be wrong about your capabilities. It's up to you.

Tuomo L, Seeaka, Animus and 4 others like this.
  11. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @RPG-Baze: Go ahead and use them, but know they look horrible. Both sprites and that giantic and weird faceset.

It's fine if you insist to use it, it's your game, but get used to the fact that pretty much everyone will not feel like you, point it out, or feel its weird.

Worse, it will TURN PEOPLE AWAY FROM PLAYING YOUR GAME. People look at screenshots first thing (usually) when deciding whether to play something or not, and that is a giant, glaring, warning sign of very paritcualr and not too common sense of aesthetics that most players won't share (and will just consider weird and ugly).

I've said my piece. :I Again this is just...you know, general advice, adn of course you can do anythign you like, but hoenslty if your goal is to have some people play your game...it's workign agaisnt you.

Seeaka, Animus, Soma and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jay Donovan

Jay Donovan Little bit of everything Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've known people to go through the whole process of creating a video game with numerous graphical issues and only attend to these issues after all of the important stuff sets the mold of their game. Now, there's nothing wrong with critical feedback for both good and bad opinions, however everyone on this forum has the right to making a game with the software Enterbrain provide for us.

One more thing before I go, she said that the bust image she put up is her 'first attempt' and if their's anything I've learned about anything, it's that 'practice makes perfect' and 'patience is a Virtue' :)

Tastica likes this.
  13. Sievnn

Sievnn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I trust that blaze would find a way to make them taller maybe giving them feet?

I await for a demo for this game because its lightning looks great although I do not like the fact that the sprites are over stretched.

totally loves the custom busts you put their.

What exactly is the story thought?

Tastica likes this.
  14. Carillon Nightmares

Carillon Nightmares One-Man Operation Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Guys, we're beating a dead horse. I don't think we can really change her mind. I'd leave it be, but I can always link you, Rpg-Blaze, to better resources. :3

Tastica likes this.
  15. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

There are no shortcuts in creating good resources. They take a lot of time, a lot of effort and a lot of hard work. Filters and stretching with various programs is not going to give you a good result. If it was honestly that easy, there wouldn't be a need for resource artists. And there would be billions of pieces of art for people to use.

RPG-Baze, please take some time and learn how to do art right - whether it be pixel by pixel or via digital painting. Don't be stubborn and settle for shortcuts, especially when you have many people telling you something doesn't look good. If you have the time and the determination to make your project look unique, then make it look like something many people want to see more of. :)

And on that note, let's go back to discussing screenshots, please.

RyanA, Animus, Soma and 2 others like this.
  16. Fishface

Fishface Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Thanks for the feedback everyone

Here is the layout of a dormitory I'm currently working on. It's pretty much empty at the moment.

[​IMG]

17. DragonGirl57

DragonGirl57 Possibly the weirdest girl you shall ever know Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There are some truly awsome screen shots and trailers here.

Tastica likes this.
  18. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Here's some shots of the school/ academy I'm mapping~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Reminds me of one of the rooms in Suikoden 2's base. Well done.

20. DancingDrake

DancingDrake Random Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Fishface

I really like the layout of the dormitory. The stairs going up and down look really good. I like how they disappear into the ceiling / floor.

I only have one real suggestion and that is possibly making the floor area near the bottom of the stairs going up have a similar surrounding as the ones going down.

Possibly something like this...

[​IMG]

I just think it would go better with the way you did the one going down.

Just a couple questions now. Is there a reason to why there is no window on the wall to the right of the stairs going up? Are you going to put something there latter when you fill in the rest of the details? If not I would just suggest having a window there to be more symmetrical as at the moment I can't see a reason as to why there wouldn't be one there.

Also I am just interested in what is in the right bottom corner? From the layout of the dormitory I originally thought that there was a couple of dorm rooms missing / hidden but then I realized that the passage leads to another room so now I am just curious.

Apart from all that I think it will look really good once you start adding more details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.