Game & Map Screenshots 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lunarea, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daijou

Daijou Chocobo Rider Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @AK47

That's actually a really interesting battle system that looks like it'd be fun to play around with. The only thing that concerns me from what I saw in the video is what happens when the player runs out of tokens mid-battle. Is it essentially game-over? A second basic action for a standard attack (possibly nullifies mana gain for that round) that deals no extra damage would work for that scenario. The battle seemed to take a while, but then again, I'm just used to being able to mash attack and plow through half a dozen enemies in most games nowadays. :p Keep up the good work!

2. Zack

Zack Perverted King of Demons Veteran

Right behind you; breathing down your neck.
    First Language:
    English
    @ Chaos Avian

I like the concept of the place and all, but to be a proper town, it needs to be much bigger than that. The town itself looks like its only about twelve residences strong, which would barely even account for a village. There is one shop that only sells weapons, so towsnfolk cannot even obtain basic stationary. It's possible that the townsfolk could grow their own food to survive, however, there isn't a single farm to be spoken of. You could say that the very few residents eat at the pub every day, but that's barely feasible. Speaking of the pub, it is way, way too large. It looks like it's about the size of castle. If you want it to stay that big, you're going to need to put it own it's own map and give a very good reason for it's immense size, perhaps call it a hotel? Also, your church literally looks like a shack. It seems to be only slightly larger than every residence, each residence exactly the same by the way. People have much more respect than that for their religion, especially in what I might assume to be the Renaissance period or the Middle Ages. I know this software requires you to use a bit of imagination, but not so much that the town would appear to be completely illogical without imagination.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2013
    Chaos Avian likes this.
  3. McP

McP Veteran Veteran

@AK47

Sorry, if i just want to see your maps, man.. that so great! =D

This maps currently on progress :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tell me what do you think, guys..

Kaimi, Ocedic, ShinGamix and 5 others like this.
  4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    wow, that's awesome... are those tiles custom made for that project?

5. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    My first attempts on making my own lighting effects and glows. Havn't tried using these Indoors yet, just for caves, outdoors etc:

[​IMG]

I have also started using a really nice overlay script so I can parallax my maps, to make them look a bit better. Here's my first town overhauled by using this (It's not done yet though).

[​IMG]
    Oh, and I need some opinions!

Would you consider this incosistent?

Having cave structures and some underground areas mapped like shown below:

(Where the outer walls are shown)

[​IMG]
    And having Indoors, and houses etc mapped like this:

(Where there's no outer walls)

[​IMG]
    All indoor houses are mapped like shown above, but other areas are mapped so you can see the outer walls of the structure. My question is, would this appear inconsistent? The reason I ask is because some tiles look awful if they are cut without using the wall tile..

~Dark.

ShinGamix likes this.
  6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    having no outer walls is fine but the top part of the room is missing it's inner wall too (unless it's just because you didn't add the border of the exe so it looks like it's the whole map already, in which case I would suggest that you include the game's borders just so we get a clear look)

as for the lighting, it looks weird that the area below the lamp is lighted but the area directly beside it is not lighted...  and also, I don't think that the upper part of the terrain (top of the wall tiles) should be lighted too as the lamp is in a position that won't allow light to reach the top portion of the walls...

7. Dark_Metamorphosis

First Language:
    Swedish
    I added a new picture for it, so you can see the entire map as a whole. And yeah, that's some valid points you have there :)

8. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    IMO, the indoor style of not having the exterior walls shown is better than the style of the dungeons... It just doesn't seem nice to see exterior walls with black "ground" tiles...

And hmmm... I think I'll be using mapped battlebacks instead of the previous ones...

SeasideBB-Sample.PNG

9. McP

McP Veteran Veteran

@adiktuzmiko

No, of course it's not..

Im just combining it from many resources.. :p

all thanks to HK, and Celiana for those tiles..

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  10. Dark_Metamorphosis

First Language:
    Swedish
    Well the reason I asked is because I combine the 2, since that particular cave tile that I use looks very bad if I'm not using the wall tile along with it (As in removing the walls).

11. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    yeah... hmmm... maybe you can see what it looks if you populate the black parts with the top tile... else, I think it's not really a game breaker to have them both...

@McP - ooh... I just haven't seen them yet...

12. Creative Ed

Creative Ed Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    @Dark_Metamorphosis the town's floor looks a little weird, I think it's to contrasted.

As for the outer walls question, yes I thinkit's a little inconsistent. It's kind of two diferent mapping styles.

Here's a Title I made with V's Custom Animated Title:

[​IMG]

ShinGamix likes this.
  13. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Tried playing a bit with the DSPlus tiles...

Sengoku.PNG

14. Daijou

Daijou Chocobo Rider Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That must be a rather interesting shaped beach if it's constantly having sections sticking out like that. I'm talking about how the beach sticks out into the sea, given the way the water borders it. While it may not be bad to use once, seeing it multiple times as a player I'd start to wonder on the actual shape of the coastline. I'd maybe change it so the sides of the water on it don't go nearly so high up, maybe just a tile or two.

15. AK47

AK47 Veteran Veteran

@Daijou: Thanks for your feedback. Currently, if you run out of all tokens in your inventory during battle you auto escape the battle. Yeap, battles are quite long at the moment, I'll see if there is a way to make them quicker without nerfing the AI. Thanks

@:McP: That looks great! Only thing I suggest is that if you don't really need all that empty space, maybe bring some of the stuff from the bottom screen up a little.

Also maybe extend the path. 

A rough example of what I mean:

[​IMG]
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
    McP likes this.
  16. McP

McP Veteran Veteran

@AK47

Awesome! that looks better than mine!

Thank so much for your feedback.. :D

17. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
       Ok, so I've thought of posting screenshots on here before to get feedback but I was always intimidated by how much nicer everyone else's on here seem to look in comparison. I actually only just started working on a project again (after giving up on one months ago over basically not having a coherent style or anything) so now I've resolved myself to actually complete a game and I've already gotten way further in the technical side than I ever have before as well as a complete story. So what I think I need to work on more than anything is my mapping abilities (which have gotten better recently do to looking over tutorials and such, but it's still pretty sub-par).

Anyway, this is my first screenshot put up for critique. Basically what it is supposed to be is a special cemetery in a city of sorcerers/sorceress where important members of their order are buried.

[​IMG]
    The reason for the large light effects is because the scene involving this map takes place at night, I just changed the tint back for the purposes of showing off the map, suddenly realized it looked kind of strange in broad daylight...

These next pictures are true outside maps, which are what I really need the most help with, I tend to do ok with indoor maps but once I work on overworld stuff it just doesn't ever come out looking right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2013
    Dark_Metamorphosis likes this.
  18. hian

hian Biggest Boss Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    The chapter introduction screen.

Each chapter is introduced with this screen, with a slight variation in coloring, and with a new

quote.

(Note, I might also change the characters at the top depending on which characters are the most prominent story-wise in the chapter.)

The quotes function as a sort of vague foreshadowing as they are quotes

of dialogue that will happen in the chapter that follows the introduction screen.

[​IMG]

And the alley-way map in action, with the first protagonist Ein, carrying a wounded Duos(second protagonist).

[​IMG]

RocketKnight likes this.
  19. Tsukitsune

Tsukitsune Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Soma, RitoJS, zachfoss and 8 others like this.
  20. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    that's really awesome... not a fan of water flowing thru my roofs though... XD

and as much as the buildings are built onto the cliffside, the way the upper ground blends with the roofs (which if you ask me is too perfect) is quite bothering... I'm not sure but maybe it's the way you used some kind of blur between the roof and the ground which lead to that... personally, I think that if you build something in a cliffside (without a camouflage), you'd most probably always see the clear boundary between the two...

other than that, it's really awesome... looking forward to seeing the animated one... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.