JacobM

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thought I'd post this here to get some feedback... working on a new town for The Magi Chronicles :)

Last edited by a moderator:

hian

Biggest Boss
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
@soc:

Another thing I'd consider changing is the placement of the trees on the top of the ledge.

I've seen a lot of people do this here on the forums, but if you place trees at the very edge of a ledge like that, part of the roots will overlap unto the next tile, and it looks very unnatural/messes with the perspective.

Either put the trees a tile up from the edge, or if you're using some sort of image software to make the battleback, leave the space open, and past the trees in manually(parallaxing) - that way you can have them at the edge without the roots sticking out like that.

I see that even luchino had this issue in a screen a few pages back.

RocketKnight

Broke with expansive taste
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
New map: The valley of tears:

@Rocket Knight - It looks so much better now!

Although in the original book the room didn't own furniture,I agree that the bookcases looked very good.

The  lighting also seems to be a good idea, it gives a little more immersion to the map :)
 ​
II'm working on it.

@rocketknight: the wall in fixed version looks nice now not blurry (although to me it still a little bit blur but if you cant help it its fine),

but now i notice the far left pillar has a dissappear part on top.

and far left+right pillar have transparancey floor, is that due to quick work or just didnt notice it?

the main title screen is uh ............confusing, focus is all over the place, and theres a hint of mystery that attracted me to see it again, weird.
 ​
Had not noticed, I am remodeling the title screen

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@drassray:

I like the inn, looks very nice ^^

The big wall on top of the screen looks a little bit odd. I don't know, maybe there needs to be a shadow on the left side of the stairs and pathway. I also would shift map the top pathway so that the stones go right to the edge of the stairs. Right now there is a little bit of grass between it.

I thought I'd share my title screen for a little game I'm trying to make:

autumn_fair.jpg

The title looks a little bland, still undecided what to do with it.

SOC

"God is my Judge"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
looks better IMO... though maybe the border between the cliff and the grass below needs some kind of gradient, the change just looks so sudden... I never really liked how the RTP cliff-ground border looks... though I'm not sure if you can really do anything about it... :)

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@SOC:

I agree with miko, the cliff border looks too straight. It is like a line. One way to change that is by placing smaller cliffs in front of it or sometimes move the cliffs one to two tiles south.

SOC

"God is my Judge"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great ideas. Something like this?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
Looks better... I really like those porings...

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Much better ^^

Here is a first screenshot of my small game. I'm trying parallax mapping for the first time, so this is done completely in photoshop. Probaply a more efficient way to do this that I don't know. :D Sadly, not implemented in the game, because I still have to figure out how to do that with the water and all that >_>

Map is not complete, just the basic groundwork. I'm unsure about the bridge pillars and if the heights of the cliff all make sense. What do you think?

map1.png

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
for the water, you would probably need several copies of the picture, having the water at different animation/frame... then have a parallel process event at the map which changes parallax every few frames..

Btw, the bridge looks weird... You can clearly see it's borders right at the left and right cliffs (which are already on the ground, not on the cliffwalls), but it still looks to be on the same level as the ground, which is weird...

If the borders are visible from the ground, then it would mean that the bridge is elevated from the ground, so you should have some kind of elevation between it and the ground...

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
That means I have to make the rivers for the other two frames all over again. Gah. Oh, well, I feared as much. Thanks for the hint ^^

edit: thanks for the feedback, miko. Yeah, I moved the bridge around a lot and tried different shadows, but it still looks weird. I'm no fan of bridges that suddenly end right at the cliffwall, looks to me more like those bridges are flying in the air. Thats why I put part of the bridge on the cliffground. Maybe if I cut away the bottom part of the bridge there...

And I just playtested the map and discovered that my characters can't walk right to the river bank, because the river is displaced about 16px. Gnah.. Well, always playtest to discover those fundamental things, I guess.

robinco1919

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A couple of screenshots of a forest I am working on:

Forest1.PNG

Forest2.png

Not sure how they could be improved. If anyone has any feedback, feel free to tell me.  :)

Sonem

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
More flowers, maybe some rocks? Looks good tho

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@robinco:

The little stone on the cliff in the second picture looks a little bit out of place. I think, because normally the upper cliff would overshadow the rock at least partially. Other than that I like the forest, very dense ^^

So, I edited my map, removed the border off the bridge tile on the cliff, moved the whole river (thank god for different layers..), changed some smaller stuff and started to think about what trees and what height of trees I want to use. I want to have an autumn season map, so I began coloring some of the trees. What do you think about the tree height?

map1_2.png

A-Moonless-Night

WINTER IS COMING
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Robinco: I'm personally not a fan of Benben's trees, especially not alongside the other trees you're using. They use some weird kind of gradient and seem more pixelated, whereas the other trees have a more painterly style (more like the VX RTP). The river doesn't seem to match the waterfall either. Otherwise, it looks pretty nice.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
@Candacis - the bridge still has the borders and it still looks elevated, though IDK if you can really do more about it, the bridges IMO doesn't really blend well with the ground tiles anyway... btw, why do you have a tree on the bridge's end???

@robinco - some of the trees look pixelated, have you stretched them?

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Candacis

I think part of the problem is because of shadows.  If you think about how shadows appear under a bridge you will see that your thin high shadow isn't really right.  It's not on the ground part that would be in shadow.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
Also, I think you tried to make the bridge go down, but to me it looks more of the bridge curved...you might wanna make that ramp on the bridge more ramp looking...

robinco1919

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the feedback guys - as a relatively new Maker it's great to have some comments on my work.  :)

@adiktuzmiko - No, none of the trees have been stretched in any way. Maybe it's just the fact that they come from different sources and some have been blurred a little more than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Out of sudden, snow. Everywhere.
Blech. I hate coming up with stories. Making gameplay is fun but coming up with lore and reasons for these areas/mechanics just makes me sleepy.
40 card deck size, the plugin seems more sluggish.
Village theme I composed for a commission!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryking88