Game & Map Screenshots 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lunarea, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

Game & Map Screenshots 4

This thread is meant for showing off screenshots or maps made for your project, and to comment on or give advice to other members. Screenshots of any Maker is welcome.

In-game screenshots and maps only, please. If you're looking for feedback on your logo/sprites/faces etc. then please post in the WIP thread.

Previous threads:

Game & Map Screenshots 1

Game & Map Screenshots 2

Game & Map Screenshots 3

Game & Map Screenshots 4

Game & Map Screenshots 5

Game & Map Screenshots 6

Next thread:

Game & Map Screenshots 5

Please read and abide by these rules before posting and or commenting:

1. In-game screenshots, maps and videos of gameplay are all welcome. Trailers are also welcome. Walkthroughs and Let's Plays are not.

2. Please consider putting the image in spoiler tags if it's any larger than 700x500. Ditto if you're posting a lot of images.

3. Do not quote screenshots, maps or videos in this thread. If you want to comment on someone's screenshot, please refer to them by their name (@membername), or keep the image in spoiler tags.

4. Please be civil and constructive when handing out feedback. Do not post things such as 'this sucks!'. Point out why a map doesn't look so good, and what they can do to improve it. If you want to compliment someone, point out what you think they did well.

5. Please refrain from re-posting your work, unless you've made some edits on it since the last time you posted it. If no one has commented on your work, and it has fallen behind by at least 2 pages, feel free to repost it then.

6. Feel free to ask what tileset someone is using if you're interested, but keep off-topic chatter to a minimum.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
    ShinGamix and zachfoss like this.
  2. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

If you've posted something on page 100 of the last screenshot thread, please feel free to repost it here for feedback. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
    zachfoss likes this.
  3. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ok, so I'm making some tiles for myself. Please let me know what you think.

(please note, all the really small items are RTP, I'm not so good at the small things, but I am practicing)

I haven't finished it all yet, so please ignore the lack of shadows under the items for the moment.

[​IMG]

4. Blade

Blade Slicing~ Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Here.

[​IMG]

zachfoss likes this.
  5. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ok, the house looks much better now. Looking good.

zachfoss likes this.
  6. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    @Blade: Isn't there a chance you get some bigger trees? It's just that the RTP and Mac ones are pretty small, compared with that house. But anyway, maybe those are bushes. If they're not, there is still something more bugging me, and it's the tree closest to the house. I mean, it's too close, the branches are probably getting inside of the window, and there is risk of the tree falling over the wall (but it's a very small tree so "they" probably don't care).

Anyway, maybe I'm thinking too far xD. I like the map, its structure and stuff. Seems like an open space.

@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome: I like your carpet, I think it tiles in a good way, it succeeds at hiding "the grid". Only thing I see on that specific map is... why does that carpet have that weird shape? Carpets are square or circular, or rectangles. Unless you make a carpet so specifically shaped for your home. There is a little trick when mapping that could help fixing that issue (the Shift usage, I'm pretty sure there is a tutorial by here that addresses that topic).

Also I like your furniture. You can still throw some details here and there to make them less flat on some places, but anyway I like them. Only thing is those blurry edges on the table's legs, maybe redefining them a little so they don't contrast that much.

And now, some screens! Well, these are not really new, this is more a thing I'm changing a little right now. You see, I was doing my new artworks, and didn't liked my old faces (heh), so I thought about using a portion of these artworks as faces.

The oldie:

[​IMG]
    And the new "look" (on another ambient heh... sorry!):

[​IMG]
    Here is the same comparison, but with menues, the other place where faces are used:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    And here the pros and cons for the change:

Pros:- Less work, as I would not have need to make any faces sepparately.

-Artworks get more uses, instead of being used only for the naming screen (and maybe some other surprise!).

Cons:

-At battle, the new faces' style seem to clash a little with the battlers (but maybe it's not that bad!).
    So yeah, that's it for now,

Orochii Zouveleki

7. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks. The carpet and walls and stuff aren't mine, those are RTP, should have made that clearer lol.

I'm still learning how to propourly shade and contrast and stuff the furniture. but hopefully I can make them look better. Thanks for the feedback!

zachfoss likes this.
  8. Yato

Yato (aka Racheal) Veteran

Contest is over, and it's back to full swing on the main project.

[​IMG]

@muramasa: I like the look of the new faces! They're not your typical three-quarters view everyone looking the same way, and I think it works. You are right that they don't quite match the battlers as well, but perhaps some color tweaking? or something?

9. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @muramasa: I have to agree that they don't match the battlers very much at all; they give off more of a hard fantasy feel, sort of. But I do like them. Maybe some color tweaking might work, like Racheal said. I really like your menus and GUI; clean, simple, but nice to look at! Also I'm a sucker for pixely fonts :3

@Rachael: Ooh, pretty :) I like this, and the only thing I can notice is that the house with the main entrance seems to be lacking a shadow (on the right). Other than that, very nice.

I've been working on the spiritwalk ability, this time the "soul search" part of it. Characters with knots of trapped energy glow differently, and will allow you to perform a "soul search" by entering their spirit realm. By navigating their realm, you will "untie" their energy due to the nature of the spiritwalker's presence; doing this will allow you to explore characters in the world and their past, and ultimately that might end up affecting the main storyline.

You can at any time exit a "soul search" by hitting the same button you used to enter the spirit walk, so taking a peek and leaving it off until later is something that you can (and sometimes have to) do without any repercussions :)

The "soul search" area pictured here isn't fully polished, but it gives off the general idea of the kind of surrealism you can expect. These areas will toy with your preconceptions about how the game world works (without getting too cryptic).

10. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Paladin-Cleric of Awesome:  Not bad at all!  You've got a few mistakes that everyone makes at the beginning, but not as many as I expected from someone who's new at it.  The sides should be significantly darker than the tops to help sell the perspective.  Don't shade with black, it makes things less saturated and shadows are usually more saturated with color.  When adding shadows or highlights make sure that your stroke direction is used to help define what it is your making, don't just use color or brightness.  The biggest problem I see is the large table, which I think will be fine if you give the wood some grain and direction.  The style is pretty cute, I look forward to seeing it all finished. 

zachfoss likes this.
  11. Blade

Blade Slicing~ Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    @Muramasa: If.. If only a bigger commercial-usable tileset ;A;

But it's a big inn :u

zachfoss likes this.
  12. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @sharm

Thank you for the feedback! It's nice to know I'm not doing terribly!

I haven't actually used black for anything on the tiles... I've been using a dark brown for all the shading and a browny/orange for the highlights... Should I lighten the darker bits a little?

Ah well, I'll figure it out. At least I know the furniture doesn't look too out of place alongside the walls and floors of the rtp for now!

zachfoss likes this.
  13. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No, it's not that, that would lower the contrast which you don't need to do.  The dark brown you chose for the shaded parts has less saturation of color than the medium color.  Usually how it works is the highlights are less saturated and the shadows are more saturated.  It sounds like you're not sure what I mean by that so here's a quick rundown.  Hue is the color, luminosity is how light or dark it is, saturation is how true that color is.  Grey is desaturated.

Hopefully I'm making sense, I'm pretty sleep deprived right now so I'm not sure.

zachfoss likes this.
  14. ディーノス

ディーノス Make a new destiny! Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    my CMS

feedback needed :D

zachfoss likes this.
  15. PixelLuchi

PixelLuchi Quiet Pixel Artist Veteran

First Language:
    UK English
    @Blade: You're using the water tile wrong, and you should Shift-click the top part of the Inn. Also, make some spaces in between the trees so it doesn't look like a clump of bushes.

Testing out a 640x480 resolution ( because I really do not like VX's default size :\ )

[​IMG]

Not do I like the default roof-styling. I come from XP, so back to my XP roots.

[​IMG]

zachfoss likes this.
  16. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Working on a much simplified main menu, keeping it minimal but functional. Since my game doesn't have stats or abilities, I can get away with a much more minimal interface. There will be an option for items later on and a customized save screen :)

[​IMG]

A very short video showing off the animation effects:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  17. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @General_Liangale That is the most epic map ever. You really make me want be a better mapper.

@Racheal It looks great but something about the map just doesn't add up all to well.

Found it!! The left most houses have shadows while the rest don't!!! This was messing with my head for a second.

@Awesome Cleric Love your furniture but I hate to say it just clashes with the RTP too much for my taste.

I would dump the RTP tiles and find something matching a little more.

I think they would be good with whatever tiles Rachael is using.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  18. Blade

Blade Slicing~ Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Rate my blacksmith part of the map /10

[​IMG]

19. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    One question. Why is your blacksmiths off all by itself?

Would a blacksmiths not be better in the middle of a town?  I still think your buildings look a little too big, but I suppose that's personal preference. could use more windows though.

20. Blade

Blade Slicing~ Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    The blacksmith has a rather unique personality and he prefers being alone at the edge of the town when he creates weaponry and armory for the adventurers. There's a "normal" blacksmith in the middle of the town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.