Game & Map Screenshots 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lunarea, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shion Kreth

Shion Kreth White Knight Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks Ksi, I will check it out when I have a good stretch of time. ;)

Alright, since I'm engaging in the learning experience I figure I'll put up a few dungeon maps I created when I began using rpgmaker, don't think these are as bad as the village, but we'll see what everyone thinks. Without further ado..

Chronologically this was one of the first ones I made and I was pretty pleased with it:

[​IMG]
    Don't even ask me why ALL FOUR WALLS are different thicknesses, these bandits were clearly intoxicated during the construction process.

[​IMG]
    This one was OK, I see now the corner rooms are pretty bare.(The empty space at the top is because it's the same proportions as the map for it's lower floor so everything lines up, and there's a secret passage there on the lower level)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
  2. monkeyintartan

monkeyintartan TartanMonkey Veteran

First Language:
    english
    @Shion Kreth I think the layouts of the maps are fine however I do think there is a bit to much open space, I think you should either add more fixings, eg. pots/pillars to areas to fill them out more or to keep the layout but shrink it down a little so there is less blank space.

Overall though I like where you heading with them, will be good to see them with characters in or any events u intend to have so that we could get a bit more idea of how the map is occupied.

3. Shion Kreth

Shion Kreth White Knight Veteran

First Language:
    English
    They were originally used as dungeon enviroments with random battles, i see i didn't set the map screenshot script to record events.. their weren't too many though; the cave one lead up to a boss battle and the other two are middle floors of a 3 and 4 floor dungeon respectively.

monkeyintartan likes this.
  4. monkeyintartan

monkeyintartan TartanMonkey Veteran

First Language:
    english
    @Shion Kreth I think the work well for the purpose your saying but still think there a little plain, if there a dungeon surely u want things to look at and uncover like hidden items or secret passage ways, Maybe adding more cracks to the walls or cobwebs, they just seem a little clean to be a dungeon.

Hope that makes sense lol,

5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shion - Like the others said a bit big and bare. But really, for a beginner these are not bad at all. I've seen some pretty horrific maps (like people with no concept of which tiles are floor/ceiling/wall), so these are decent. Just keep working at it. I still have to ask myself: How can I make it smaller (even if I think the size is fine) and where can I add detail? Really, you are off to a good start. Just keep practicing.

monkeyintartan likes this.
  6. XPKobold

XPKobold Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Hello there it's been a while since i posted here but here a few more screenshots of some mapping in XP Been working on and off again while doing multitasking on other things like work and drawing.

Will only put small maps until i can figure out how to screencap an entire map that bigger than 30 x 30. Considering i've expanded some of the maps. 

Forest Exit Area.

[​IMG]

Entrance to the Cave.

[​IMG]  
    Cavern Dungeon

[​IMG]

7. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @XPKobold: It's a nice start, but your cliffs and cave walls look a bit too perfect. If you want a more natural look, try following the "rule of three": never let the wall extend in a straight line for more than three tiles. This was a commonly used practice back when XP was more popular, and it seemed to work out pretty well.

Also, it looks like the shadows in your second two screens need to be set to Translucent.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
  8. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @XPKobold: I agree with what Euphony said. Besides that all maps are rather barren. I'd add some more trees in the forest map at the very least. Same with cave and entrance to it, the ground and walls are so empty. Some plants, tall grass, flowers, rocks might make it look more nicely :)

Well, another XP map over here:
    [​IMG]

I know I need to move the one tile width bookshelf and there's a very minor error with drawers on the left side that needs to be fixed in the tileset file. Besides those things mentioned, I'd like some opinions on how to make it better. Oh and it's supposed to be some kind of self-help group :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
    AnneSeraphim, mlogan and Sharm like this.
  9. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I dunno slim, I think it looks great. The one and only nitpicky thing I can see is the plant behind the couch in the top left. But overall, I love the color and there's plenty of stuff there without it being overly crowded. It's really cute.

slimmmeiske2 likes this.
  10. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    New Game & Map Screenshot thread opened here. If you've posted a screenshot on the last 3 pages of this thread, you can post it in the new topic.

11. Blair Pendragon

Blair Pendragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    oops, ill post in the other thread

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.