Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Blade

I think you need to have patches of long grass and other plants/bare patches/whatever to break up the ultra-smooth appearance of the ground tiles.  The pink flowers that you have used near the bottom look more like cultivated flowers than wild ones.  Also, I would have thought that the wooded areas on top of the cliffs would have a bit more variety in the vegetation.  I am wondering what the 3 patches of grass(?) are as you follow the stream down.  At first I though perhaps you were trying to give the impression of grassy slopes leading down to the water's edge, but then decided that it couldn't be that.

Something I'm working on at the moment - still a WIP.  I am trying to make my towns look different from one another by having diverse wall tiles and roof constructions/colours.  There is another section of the town through the exit at the top right corner.  I am not sure why my sprites suddenly look so small, must be something to do with the mapshot, as they look normal in-game.

btw, I know that there are 3 different styles of doors.  I'm still trying to decide which one to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Blade Wouldn't the blacksmith have supplies, wood, coal outside? and he would need a smoke stack or chimney or two.

@Ksjp17 The town is excellent and I would keep the three different doors. Other than the streetlights need some kind of base/stand everything else looks okay so far.

Blade

Slicing~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
This look any better?

dTBoqKS.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Blade

I think I have now identified what was making me uneasy about your layout.

You have a broad stream which becomes narrow and cascades down a waterfall - but your smithy is slap bang up against that cliff.  There is absolutely no room for the water to come down without soaking the back of the building.  No one, but no one, no matter how 'unique' a character, is going to build something that close to a waterfall/cliff.

Blade

Slicing~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
@Blade

I think I have now identified what was making me uneasy about your layout.

You have a broad stream which becomes narrow and cascades down a waterfall - but your smithy is slap bang up against that cliff.  There is absolutely no room for the water to come down without soaking the back of the building.  No one, but no one, no matter how 'unique' a character, is going to build something that close to a waterfall/cliff.
I thought it'd look nice if the waterfall kind of "went in and through" the blacksmith.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's a neat idea, but to carry it off you need to have enough space for the water to reach the ground and be channelled through and under the building.  There needs to be a bigger gap between the cliff and the back of the house.

A-Moonless-Night

WINTER IS COMING
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Zachfoss: Those maps are looking pretty incredible! I don't like those flowers in the second map, though. There's something odd about the way they're all crammed up the top of that cliff.

Goatrider

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ zachfoss.

Looks awesome I really like how you did those cliffs. I have to agree with moonless night though, the flowers do look a little weird. Great job none the less.

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Edit: I implemented the item menu in the game, with animations'n'stuffs. Video below.

Working on an inventory / bag screen. Since there's no combat in the game, I don't need to display stats or any such details, so I'm going for a simple but informative overview that quickly tells you what the item is and where you found it.

bag.png

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ruby :

I like the tower. It has something that makes me think of fairies. Maybe the color tones.

If I can make a suggestion, I would see a rope ladder to climb in it.

The tree however needs a little more optimization to blend more with the rest of the tiles.

Sonem

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'm in love with that tower, srsly, i wanna marry it.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm back I think... here's a screenie (still doing script tests for the lighting and custom layering)

PhantasmaMortemHorse.PNG

The trees and hay are placed using the layering script...

@MISTER BIG T - I find those wood roofs weird, it's like they doesn't seem like roofs...

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
@Ruby, I like a lot your windows!!

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Galenmereth in the video Is that a modded item pop up script?

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Galenmereth in the video Is that a modded item pop up script?
Nope, that's a custom item popup made using two variables I set on the event (item ID and quantity) and a common event I call that use these to display the effect and information :)  I might actually turn it into a simple script, but I like to prototype using common events and variables as far as I can.

AnneSeraphim

DayDreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Golly, I have been working on this for as long as I can remember...But...it sucks! :< I would appreciate any feedback on how to make this better. :'( Thank you^^ 

*WARNING - A REALLY BIG IMAGE*

Mansion.png

Ruby

Of the Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks pretty good, however the depth is way off. To fix that, you need a roof and shadows, and stuff in all that gray area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been working on some sprites, My favorite out of all of them is this guy, his name is Moss:
anyone else 'round here gonna be doing the retro game jam that's starting in a few days on itch.io?
I also wanted to say that my bro brought back nostalgia and got me a GBA SP for my birthday! Ah, the memories of Pokémon Sapphire and LeafGreen! It came in a gray shell but he ordered a red one so it'd look like the one I had as a kid. It looks brand new!
qhE9zC8.jpg
LsluASM.jpg
It's minus 50 out today, ugh. I'm so freaking cold. =_=;

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MitchMann12