Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@AnneSeraphim: you're missing a roof, without it, it totally throws off the depth perception in this map. Also important is that your stairs are waaaay up on the wall which would be impossible considering there's a lot of area to walk on (which is now merging into the wall). Here's a better way of showing it:

NRRhzs7.png

Your black road is also nothing but black, it needs some texture (and it should also be more of a dark grey colour, not pure black).

Tsukitsune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Cel

Do the stairs need to come out more?  As it's a slope, I just assumed it's a bit steeper the closer up it is.

If it is actually impossible, can you explain a little more?  Isometric perspective can confuse me a bit at times :p

AnneSeraphim

DayDreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Cel Oh, this is going to be confusing to fix. *_* I will try...

Joy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Been a while!

So, still working on rootbound. Re-mapping the home farm to allow for more smooth workflow. Hvae some of the various planned field styles here. Traditional (harvest moon) style plots, raised beds, vineyard and orchard. Still need to rework the shadows.

Question, I'm playing with the idea of maybe having two or three alternate sprites for some of the crops to break up the monotony a bit. Just slightly repositioned fruit and such, or slightly shifted sprite positions (like on the orange passionfruit vine). Worth the trouble or no?

lF5h6rc.jpg

Doobles

That guy...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Joy

Whether it is worth the trouble or not is entirely up to you.

It is definitely something that I personally would notice and appreciate.  A way to break up monotony in these games is always a good thing to shoot for.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Joy

I agree with Doobles.  I know it can get a bit tedious to do, but definitely worth it, imo.

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nope, that's a custom item popup made using two variables I set on the event (item ID and quantity) and a common event I call that use these to display the effect and information :)  I might actually turn it into a simple script, but I like to prototype using common events and variables as far as I can.
Is that a custom graphic with an icon?

wwe10.png

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is that a custom graphic with an icon?

wwe10.png
Yeah, I've made a custom windowskin and a lot of custom graphics for my game :) This uses the windowskin theme, and is made specifically for item popups. The icons are simply placed as part of the text area that is laid on top of the graphic, with a transparent background.

C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Galenmereth I like the custom windowskins and typography.

@Joy That looks positively Joyous. If I may say so without inducing cringes worldwide. I like the attention to detail you put into the bases of the trees, and those little things you hang vines on. The stringy things between the poles. They look real good. I think you're right, it would benefit from repositioning the fruit on the trees. Varies it up a little. Makes things cool-looking. Good work.

@Ruby The tiles look positively colourful. I especially like the windows on the house. The outline of the lamppost is too dark. The tower and the other thing (?) next to the road to the south. They both have this weird outline on the bottom of the sprite. The tree has a weird black outline too. They all need shadows. Other than that, beautiful and unique.

@MISTER BIG T Really plain. I get the feeling you're going to add stuff though. Like doors. So you're probably wanting feedback on the layout instead of the details. Which is fine. Except you need to shift-map the cliffs and it might look nice to see them go across the entire width of the map. Also add some more variation of levels at the cliff and you should be sweet.

Some of my weird little puzzles:

EoMBiPQ.png

wUBrEIb.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Joy: I don't think it's necessary. Same is good for crops '3' That way you're not distracted and can tell at a glance that all crops are in state X.

It's not something that's ever bothered me in Harvest Moon type games, plus it's nicer tojut have more crop variety instead rather than slightly differently positioned ones.

If anythign feels wrong in that screenshot at all it's the flat grounds in the part where there is no decor (That's always going to be a rpoblem with high definition tiles, it's much easier to ignore with old timey pixel tiles, I dunno why ><).

Ruby

Of the Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just a sample map. I may port it to my game though. It's kinda cute.

NewTilesMap2_zps9e7ee910.png

@thatbennyguy: I'm a fan of dark outlines, however I do see what you are saying with the lamp-post. I'll get to fixing that asap. Thanks for the feedback. The tree orb is supposed to be a healing (or save) orb. So, if you click on it, it heals your HP (or saves your game).

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ruby

I love the tower tile.  In fact all your own tiles have a nice feel to them, a touch of whimsy which I like.

Although you often see it, I don't think it's a good idea to have trees lined up right on the edge of a cliff.  No tree could grow like that, let alone a whole line of them.  I think they need to be one tile away from the cliff edge.

I am wondering how anyone gets to the table on the little terrace.  I can't see any means of access.

It looks as if you have tinted the screen.  I think it is too grey unless this is meant to be a particular time of day, but even then, light is rarely if ever simply grey.  The overall effect is to make it look a bit dreary - but that is perhaps what you intend?

Ruby

Of the Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ksjp: Yes, I'm still working on getting the time right on my game. XD So right now it's night-time. And yeah, I agree with the trees, thanks for pointing that out! My tummy always knots up when I'm about to read something about my tiles, haha. And, I have yet to find stairs that I like for the terrace, but I am working on that. :/

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
or maybe an underground passageway instead of stairs... 

IMO, the tinting is not helping... it makes it feel like the whole game is paused or something...

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am not sure whether to start up this project again. I think I had a thirty minute demo produced, but it was a while ago now. I was trying to get money from a kickstarter to fund the project, but since then have managed to get a job, so don't need to now, I could just roll along with it.

@Ruby: that looks great! Not sure about the tint though, I think it's detracting from how nice the tileset is, dulling it somewhat.

yYuYSGB.png

hFeHJ6m.png

IJVD3cU.png

tMPH9Yr.png
Do you think it shows promise / worth continuing?

Graphics are REFMAP, lots of my own work, and some RMXP RTP. The game is made in RMXP.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Amy Pond : Actually, I like this style. Whether you continue this one or make another is up to you, but that would be a shame to drop it, in my opinion.

Aryam

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
@Amy Pond: I think you should continue, it's comfy in a way and has some feel of personal touch to it.

Only thing I can see right now that is lacking is some shadows.

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
@Amy Pond: Get a pixellated font =D!. I think it's better if you're making a game with scaled up graphics.

Some fonts that I like, all of them TTF of course: PF Tempesta Seven, Game Over, Unifont

I love REFMAP resources. It makes me feel so nostalgic.

@Ruby: Those graphical assets are great! I like the cartoonish style given by the thick outlines (although not all has them), and the vibrant colors. When you port the map to your game, you'll probably make sure of replacing/removing those autoshadows, right? That square-ish shadow the small tower has...

Aside from that, my eyes were fed with precious candy! (?).

@thatbennyguy: More of your puzzles! All the fun you get with two or three gameplay elements. That's great!

@Galenmereth: If the glow behind the icon faded away, it would be great. But I assume it is made as part of the background.

@Joy: That sure motivates me to farm.

Good job people!

Orochii Zouveleki

Doobles

That guy...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Amy Pond

I love the style.  It is very retro and it looks great, so i do think it'd be nice if you pushed the project further.  However I do agree with muramasa that you should consider getting a more pixelated font to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

halloween_test_img.png
Memory of a Halloween party.

SCRAP IT OR KEEP IT?
Studying more game mechanics and game design... If someone have some tips, I would be happy to read!
I finally caved and bought myself a Switch.
I'm having some trouble finding an established sub-genre to classify our current project. Effervesce Fallacy™ is loosely based on chaos theory . . . does anyone know what this sub-genre is called?
I figured I should start off with a game this (I think at least)would be easier to program. Demonstrating Card drawing for Black Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottascott