Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In these two pics, can you notice the mirror image of the glass on the floors? I tried to create the effect of sunlight coming through. I also plan to use a lighting script to make some subtle changes as well.
I can't see them at all.

I don't think that carpets work in a fortress, imo it detracts from any fortress-like feel to the maps. I'm also unsure about the pattern of the floor tile you've chosen.  It doesn't, to my eye, look like the sort of thing that you'd find on the floor of a fortress which would, I think, be more regular in shape.

I agree that the beam looks a bit thin.  I also think that there's something a bit odd about its perspective.  It doesn't look top-down the way it should.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ooh Luchi I like~ The Phantasy Star feels are strong! I really do like this it feels like refreshing nostalgia and the tiles go nicely with the sprite.

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@CashmereCat: Definetly unique, the simplistic style kinda remninds me of some of the old Zelda games. Dunno why, doesn't really look like it, but the structure/level design/layout seems somewhat similar. Anyway, keep up the good work.

@slimmmeiske2: Feeling blue? Nah, I quite like it, though I think the blue bookshelfs/cupboards are kinda overdoing it a bit, but I guess the owner just likes the color.

@Topic: Giving my early stuff a makeover, my world/land map in this case:

Old versions:

Last edited by a moderator:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Stridah: It's barren because the place is supposed to be a meeting/commons room for a guild. In the game, it will be filled with various NPC's. I think that will add some of the missing color as well.

@CashmereCat: Thanks for pointing out the desk thing, I didn't even notice. :D There is no carpet though, the floor tiles that are different is supposed to be marble floor that's raised up just a smidge (that's why the border is around it). Any tips for how to make it look like not carpet? Because I thought the pattern looked like marble.

@ksjp17: I've made the glass reflection stand out more so they can be more easily seen. (About the carpets, refer to my answer to CashmereCat please) The beams aren't really supposed to be standing alone, I wanted to give the impression of the hallway being arched overhead as it leads to a room with a much higher ceiling. So the tops of the beams are supposed to be against the ceiling. If you have any suggestions to make this more clear visually, please let me know.

New versions of the temple/fortress screenies; I've added the light effects to the map now. The entire room is just a bit darker than normal. The light effects on the window panes are static. The hint of yellow between the window and it's reflection is part of the overlay.

On this map, the lights flicker just a tad to simulate torch/candle light. (The torches also are on stepping to make the flames move).

----

@Luchino: I really like the map! it reminds me of phantasy star as well, just much prettier. The only thing that really stands out to me is that the light source on the buildings is the opposite side from the orbs on top of the buildings.

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I wanted to give the impression of the hallway being arched overhead as it leads to a room with a much higher ceiling.
You can start by editing the parallax so that it joins together with the bricks. I made a quick edit it of it myself:

Shortened the lantern, brought some of that brick texture and filled it up top. Pulled the flags up a bit, too, so they had some beam to connect to.

Edit: Also, the reason why I saw that as carpet rather than marble, is because I don't really think it makes any sense to put a really long raised pathway in the middle of a castle hallway, especially when it looks like it serves no other function than to simply guide people through that hallway. I doubt they would alter the entire concrete foundation unless it was a taller passageway with actual fences and staircases leading up to it. Otherwise it's just fodder for men to trip over and fall flat on their faces.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
Edited the rest map a bit (the text box is not affected by the tint by now, this was taken from before I fixed it)

Vinedrius

Member Title
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Next map in my sample map vivification (is this even the right word?) series; forest town a.k.a. treeeeesss

It is a mix of Celianna's, Mack's and RTP. The sample are actually quite helpful for practicing... at least for me :p

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Treeeeeesss... Looks good from what I can see. Maybe in the future, take a screenshot not in event mode so there is no grid?

The only thing I really notice right now is the breaks in the path look a little odd. But it might look more naturally in game. Plus I do think the grid lines are drawing more than they might without the grid.

Vinedrius

Member Title
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Treeeeeesss... Looks good from what I can see. Maybe in the future, take a screenshot not in event mode so there is no grid?

The only thing I really notice right now is the breaks in the path look a little odd. But it might look more naturally in game. Plus I do think the grid lines are drawing more than they might without the grid.
Oops you are right about the grid, I will change it with a screenshot not in event mode tomorrow.

About the breaks in the path, I am not so sure about it myself as well. I just like them more than the wider gap in default mapping but I can't really explain why. Maybe I should mix and match wide and narrow gaps. It should look more natural that way, using narrow gaps on busy paths and wider gaps on otherwise. Thanks for the answer.

Edit: changed the ss above to be out of event mode.

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Some more of my silly little game made using too much of the 8px paintbrush.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I've made some more changes due to advice/comments from some people.

On this one, I added some light beams coming from the windows and down onto the stained glass reflections. I also added a bunch of the npc events. This room is wide open because it's a common room/lobby for the guild. There will probably always be one or two npcs here but there will be specific plot scenes that take place here as well. It's big and empty for this purpose.

On this part of the map, I've removed the marble/carpet part because I've been convinced it was not needed. I made some changes to the arches as well. I also made a way for the two npcs to be able to leave their desks. I'm probably gonna add some suits of armor along both sides of the vertical hallway as well.

Any feedback on these is appreciated. I'm trying to figure out how to do my indoor maps and I will carry the tips/tricks I get for these with me while creating the rest of my indoor maps.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
the reflections of the stained glass look weird IMO... you see, the part behind a character or an object shouldn't have the reflection anymore since the object will block the light rays... plus reflections like that normally cannot be seen in characters too since the characters are normally not made of reflective material, so to me, seeing the reflection over the characters look totally off

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been thinking the same thing. Glad someone agrees. I think I'll remove them. Maybe I'll leave the part in the water though.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
The raised portions of the roof look wrong. They're connected to the lower edge and indicate the same height, but they're not supposed to be, correct? (I knew that edit earlier bugged me for some reason, now I figured out why.)

As the red rectangles show, they're joined to the same wall, indicating the same height. The bottom instance shows how it should be set - down a bit so that it actually extends in height from the wall.

In fact, the brickwork edging should follow up the side and into the arch as shown here. It would indicate not only a higher area but that it's also joined onto the wall in such a way that it makes sense. The back version is fine because the roof tile overlaps it from this view, but the front part should be like this.

William MC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eng. & Span.
Primarily Uses
So I've been working on a port town and a house for one of the main characters. Any ideas on what I can improve in both?

Port Town:

What could I do to spruce up the top of this map?

Then I have a cleric's house (home of a main character) in another town that will be a large town with a cathedral (and close to the castle).

It seems the lower room is kind of empty. Should I add something more? I can't seem to decide if anything else will fit without making it all just seem cluttered. The tileset used here is the one from the DS DLC pack 1.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You've put organic edges on something that was supposedly built purposefully. Think about that purpose and what layout would be the most efficient for that purpose. Look at real port towns and see how they're set up, see if there's a common element to the layout.

Your second map is confusing. The stairs can't end at the top of the wall and then somehow put you inside the second story. You need to replace the top steps with the floor tile. The shelves are much too high, no one could reach them and use them. Generally if you've added everything you think you need in a room and it's still feeling empty, that's a good sign that you've made the room too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I bought a 2 week emergency food supply. And people are already making fun of me :( I'll be fed for a bit while they go hungry when food supplies get cut(for whatever reason).
Start of semester today. This is going to be a long one.
Can't wait for the next Sonichu
Birdhouses are usually made of wood. Birds typically live in trees. Trees are wood. Birdhouses are made of birdhouses.
He just discovered cellphones...

(I don't know why am I drawing so much these days...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDiet