Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also the bottom half of the window above the chair has vanished.  That is (probably) because the chair uses a little bit of that tile for its top.  Fix it like this:

Put in the window

Put in the lower part of the chair 

Put the top of the chair in as the graphic in an event, set to 'Same as player' and 'direction fix'.  It will then appear above the window and you can see both.

You have a sink, but no cooker, and no cupboard for food/crockery etc.

I think few people would have a carpet the shape you've given it for the main room.

As Sharm said, the map is too big.  Using the size of a single bed as a guideline (i tile wide, 2 tiles long, and average bed is 3 ft wide and 6 ft long) that makes the main room at least 40 x 25 ft, as far as I can make out.  That is huge.  Look at the size of your own main room in RL, and how much is in it.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
@William MC: The perspective of the second floor is off due to the roof tiles being attached, saying that both floors are at the same height.

Like so would be better.

William MC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eng. & Span.
Primarily Uses
Thanks you three for the ideas. I'll have to look more into the port town exapmles, my idea was I was trying to make it look connected to the main land space.

As for the house I made it smaller and made several adjustments based on what you have all said.

It seems I can't paint a shadow on the steps. They're on Tileset B. How can I fix them?

And other than the non-existent shadow on the steps, does it look better now?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
maybe you can do without the wall after the door... I find it weird to see a full wall tile there

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yeah, remove the wall tile under the wooden one at the door. As for shadows, open any editing software that enables transparency and make a brush 50% transparent, 16x16 pixels, black and create a copy of that tile with the shadow applied. Easy.

William MC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eng. & Span.
Primarily Uses
Okay I'll just edit the tile to have the shadow. I guess you don't like the wall after the door? It was just the style I copied from the tutorial I used to learn about rpgmaker. I'll just remove it then, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William MC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eng. & Span.
Primarily Uses
I like it. It looks nice. Is there supposed to be a secondary cavern to the right?

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
You know what would make it better? Using shift mapping to make parts like the moss and hole seem to be behind the roof tiles~ I see you know how to shift map but adding 'overlap' can help a lot in making a map look better. ^.^

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
i think that is a very well done map chaos good job.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
have a talk with a statue with a bit of humor

Bluetoes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Here is my first map and first time using RPG Maker. It's a partially destroyed city that happens to have a mine. Please be harsh and tell me if anything is off. Also, I have quite a bit of space left without knowing what else to put and I'm not sure if street lamps would be considered okay in a fantasy setting. There's only a few tiles missing at the top.

Map Screenshot 1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
bluetoes it is a solid first map i wish we could zoom in more to see the details better.  

nitpicks:

the sand path that does not attach at all outside the city looks bad, also the random green on the houses just looks kind of odd.

Bluetoes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the feedback. The green is actually moss, and yeah I agree so I'll take it out. Also, I agree about the sand path. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be really grateful.

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
toes you did a nice job! have you looked into parallaxing or other tile sets yet?

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If your houses are so dilapidated, I would expect the tiles on the ground to have suffered over time as well.  At the moment they are almost pristine, so I'd bash them up a bit.  Just the one hole isn't enough.  The tiles themselves need to be damaged (there's one in the RTP) and you could try using some black smears.  Similarly, I would expect the lamp post to be showing some signs of wear and tear.  Also perhaps some general debris, windblown bits and pieces, though not overdone, would help.  Things like that make the map feel more cohesive.

As an alternative to a lamp post with a design which to me feels a bit ornate for a mining town, you could do a very simple graphic, say 1.5 or 2 tiles high, upright wooden post with a cross beam at the top and one of the mining-type lamps (there's one in the RTP) hanging from it.  I think that might be more in keeping with the location.

EDIT

Just had another look at the stone staircase towards the top.  I think there needs to be a shadow or something cast by the lowest tile of that staircase, because there is nothing to suggest that this isn't flat level with the ground at the moment, so it undermines your perspective.

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
On that note, the dirt stairs are the wrong tile, using the one-tile wide stairs instead of the three-tile wide ones. Good otherwise.

Bluetoes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Thanks Cashmere and Ksjp. Gonna go look for some more damaged / teared tiles in the RTP and fix everything else. Though it's not easy to find what you're looking for when you've just started. :p

Edit:

I've added in more general debris as well as cracks and such in the floor tiles and some other stuff like the artificial tree area with dead trees. The wearing off the lanterns is evented.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any mining lanterns in the RTP - It's really hard to find something when you've just begun so I'll let that go for now.

Does anyone think the DS pack would blend well with RTP? Like, having RTP scratches, tearing, holes, and smears on DS tiles (or the other way around if DS has lots of destroyed tiles)?

@Ksjp below: Yeah, I'll have to fiddle with it since I was hoping to make a poisonous waterfall, except there are no waterfall tiles that match the water I have in the city, so I realise I would have to edit it myself.

Map Screenshot  2.png

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Bluetoes

If you haven't already, something to put on your "To Do" list is download something like GIMP (free, does almost everything that Photoshop can do) and learn how to do simple edits, or make a simple graphic like the one I described.  More or less an essential skill.

TimmyTheNerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just fiddled around with the high fantasy resources a bit. If you can guess where I got the idea for the layout of this village, you get a hug!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

anybody else like getting baked whilst coding?

When you go to the beach watch out for coconuts. Coconuts are more dangerous than sharks. Fact.
Try to get into pixelart again, so far its a sucess.
Also finally found a useful pixeltutorial which helps a lot.
♫ Anyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant, but he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes, he's got high apple pie in the sky hopes ♫
The three if us sat to watch "The day India Burned" to take notes. 10 minutes in, one went to sleep. I wanted to finish it but I couldn't stop tearing up (yawning makes me cry) so after 40 minutes I gave up. But now I'm not sleepy anymore :0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golgol395