Game & Map Screenshots 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lunarea, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bluetoes

Some of the tiles you are using to show damage to the roofs are, in fact, ground tiles, for example on the left most house on the lower row.  This means that the edging shows soil/rock (that brown colour) and looks nothing like what a broken roof tile would look like.

@Allerka

No, that's not parallax mapping.  In parallax you create the whole map as a .png in e.g. Photoshop, then import it and use a parallax script to fix/lock it in place so that it doesn't scroll with the actor.  Can be a nightmare to sort out the passability of each tile once you've got the map into the editor, but allows you to arrange the elements (including overlapping) exactly how you want because in Photoshop you are not restricted to the 32x32 grid for placing the objects.  You can also use the Photoshop tools to blend/blur/etc. so that e.g. paths look more natural.  There are some good tutorials about this in the tutorial section of the forum.

zachfoss likes this.
  2. Allerka

Allerka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ahh, I see. I'll try to find some tutorials and fiddle around some more. Thanks.

zachfoss likes this.
  3. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Actually, that is how the first parallax mapping worked, back in 2K. They'd cut up the pieces needed and paste them on bottom (A), middle ( B) and top (picture) layers. It was pretty effective, too (check out Sunset over Imdahl if you want to see it in action). They also used the parallax - where the actual name comes from - for ground tiles, too.

Of course, nowdays there's the issue with autotiles (2k/3 only had a few spots for them and the rest of the bottom layer was flat tiles) so it's not as easy to do. You can still do it via pictures over pictures, especially if parts are moving (see the way animators use images to give the illusion of movement by moving one image to one side atop another image moving to the other). People make things much more complicated than it really needs to be.

(I'll stick to my tiles thanks)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko and zachfoss like this.
  4. Allerka

Allerka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I was wondering how animated autotiles would work with something like this. I guess if you just left a "hole" in the pictures and filled it in with autotiles? Following the tutorials I found, I'm using two scripts to lock down the parallax background and picture overlay. Think I'm starting to get the hang of it now, just need to clean things up. Since I can use any graphics I want, instead of being constrained to VX Ace's auto-tiles, I switched back to XP's. How's this?

Map015.png

In-game, it basically all works, baring some minor mistakes (and Shaz's fog system not showing shadows above the picture layer, unfortunately), and I even still get a fantastic framerate because I don't need dozens of events to display everything! Yeah, I'm sorely tempted to go back and completely redo my previous maps now, heh. Clearly I'm not spending enough time on the starting area already.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
    Kes, Engr. Adiktuzmiko and zachfoss like this.
  5. Stridah

Stridah The People's Champion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @allerkal 

That is the best i think ive seen you map,major step up for you!

@everyone else

if you are wondering why you have not seen any updates from me, i am working on a 150 x 150 parallax map right now, i have probably put 20 hours into it with another 10 to go atleast! So update will come just need more time hehe!

6. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A basic avoid game I'm making. It's kind of like VVVVVV or Super Meat Boy.

Dalph and Kaelan like this.
  7. Bluetoes

Bluetoes Veteran Veteran

If I were to parallax the capital city of my game, and have everything else non-parralaxed, would that throw the immersion off for anyone?

Because I'm planning on having 500+ maps most likely and parralaxing every map would add another year or two onto the development time.

8. monkeyintartan

monkeyintartan TartanMonkey Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Bluetoes :- its all about he feel for me. If it fits in like it is part of the game and the way in which it is mapped is the same then I don't see the problem.

However if say the perspective of the trees or their size is bigger then it wouldn't look very consistent and could look out of place

9. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Here's shot of a scene in the first town-- with Ralph talking to Elmer-- in front of a cave-- next to a church and graveyard... Yeah we're going inside the cave but~

[​IMG]
    Truer words have never been said.

Dalph likes this.
  10. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @Bluetoes - IMHO, unless you're using totally different styled tiles for the parallax and the non-parallaxed or the quality difference is too large, then it's fine...

11. Stridah

Stridah The People's Champion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    parallax everything! i could see cheating on some interiors but imo if it is gona look nicer take the extra time.

12. Creative Ed

Creative Ed Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Here's a screenshot of some resources I made for my project "Busted Ed's Tips n Tricks" :)

[​IMG]

Obviously I didn't make the houses' walls, and the grass, I just cave it an animations :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    EFizzle, SOC and C-C-C-Cashmere (old) like this.
  13. Kaelan

Kaelan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @CashmereCat

Those screenshots really make me think of A Link to the Past, with that dungeon layout

Working on more menu stuff. Character creation + mouse-over tooltips:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bonkers and Dalph like this.
  14. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @Kaelan - those menus look awesome

15. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    BustedEd : I like those roofs,

16. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

If they were talking to the two girls with pink and blue hair, should the two girls on the side be facing up instead? :)

Dalph likes this.
  17. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Detective : What about moving those two girls on the side 1 tile up instead?

18. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That might cause some other complication with the whole event, and they will be speaking to the two on the bottom as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  19. TiLu640

TiLu640 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    How do you do the pretty bust/chat box??

20. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know what the hell is that screenshot, but bro Chaos is using the RTP materials and the RTP characters too, so...much of respect to him.

*Dalph bows*

Susan and Chaos Avian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.