Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@bluetoes

Some of the tiles you are using to show damage to the roofs are, in fact, ground tiles, for example on the left most house on the lower row.  This means that the edging shows soil/rock (that brown colour) and looks nothing like what a broken roof tile would look like.

@Allerka

No, that's not parallax mapping.  In parallax you create the whole map as a .png in e.g. Photoshop, then import it and use a parallax script to fix/lock it in place so that it doesn't scroll with the actor.  Can be a nightmare to sort out the passability of each tile once you've got the map into the editor, but allows you to arrange the elements (including overlapping) exactly how you want because in Photoshop you are not restricted to the 32x32 grid for placing the objects.  You can also use the Photoshop tools to blend/blur/etc. so that e.g. paths look more natural.  There are some good tutorials about this in the tutorial section of the forum.

Allerka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ahh, I see. I'll try to find some tutorials and fiddle around some more. Thanks.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Actually, that is how the first parallax mapping worked, back in 2K. They'd cut up the pieces needed and paste them on bottom (A), middle ( B) and top (picture) layers. It was pretty effective, too (check out Sunset over Imdahl if you want to see it in action). They also used the parallax - where the actual name comes from - for ground tiles, too.

Of course, nowdays there's the issue with autotiles (2k/3 only had a few spots for them and the rest of the bottom layer was flat tiles) so it's not as easy to do. You can still do it via pictures over pictures, especially if parts are moving (see the way animators use images to give the illusion of movement by moving one image to one side atop another image moving to the other). People make things much more complicated than it really needs to be.

(I'll stick to my tiles thanks)

Allerka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, I was wondering how animated autotiles would work with something like this. I guess if you just left a "hole" in the pictures and filled it in with autotiles? Following the tutorials I found, I'm using two scripts to lock down the parallax background and picture overlay. Think I'm starting to get the hang of it now, just need to clean things up. Since I can use any graphics I want, instead of being constrained to VX Ace's auto-tiles, I switched back to XP's. How's this?

Map015.png

In-game, it basically all works, baring some minor mistakes (and Shaz's fog system not showing shadows above the picture layer, unfortunately), and I even still get a fantastic framerate because I don't need dozens of events to display everything! Yeah, I'm sorely tempted to go back and completely redo my previous maps now, heh. Clearly I'm not spending enough time on the starting area already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@allerkal 

That is the best i think ive seen you map,major step up for you!

@everyone else

if you are wondering why you have not seen any updates from me, i am working on a 150 x 150 parallax map right now, i have probably put 20 hours into it with another 10 to go atleast! So update will come just need more time hehe!

Bluetoes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If I were to parallax the capital city of my game, and have everything else non-parralaxed, would that throw the immersion off for anyone?

Because I'm planning on having 500+ maps most likely and parralaxing every map would add another year or two onto the development time.

monkeyintartan

TartanMonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Bluetoes :- its all about he feel for me. If it fits in like it is part of the game and the way in which it is mapped is the same then I don't see the problem.

However if say the perspective of the trees or their size is bigger then it wouldn't look very consistent and could look out of place

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here's shot of a scene in the first town-- with Ralph talking to Elmer-- in front of a cave-- next to a church and graveyard... Yeah we're going inside the cave but~

Truer words have never been said.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Bluetoes - IMHO, unless you're using totally different styled tiles for the parallax and the non-parallaxed or the quality difference is too large, then it's fine...

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
parallax everything! i could see cheating on some interiors but imo if it is gona look nicer take the extra time.

Creative Ed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a screenshot of some resources I made for my project "Busted Ed's Tips n Tricks" :)

Obviously I didn't make the houses' walls, and the grass, I just cave it an animations :)

Kaelan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CashmereCat

Those screenshots really make me think of A Link to the Past, with that dungeon layout

Working on more menu stuff. Character creation + mouse-over tooltips:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kaelan - those menus look awesome

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
BustedEd : I like those roofs,

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

If they were talking to the two girls with pink and blue hair, should the two girls on the side be facing up instead? :)

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Detective : What about moving those two girls on the side 1 tile up instead?

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That might cause some other complication with the whole event, and they will be speaking to the two on the bottom as well.

TiLu640

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here's shot of a scene in the first town-- with Ralph talking to Elmer-- in front of a cave-- next to a church and graveyard... Yeah we're going inside the cave but~

Truer words have never been said.
How do you do the pretty bust/chat box??

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't know what the hell is that screenshot, but bro Chaos is using the RTP materials and the RTP characters too, so...much of respect to him.

*Dalph bows*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People3_6 and People3_7 added!

Meteo Chronicles is almost finished!
Always remember kids keep a copy of you email with your download code in it or you will never find it again in your email :kaocry:
Dragon quest IX just released a definitive edition that has a 2D top-down RPG mode for the entire game, AKA you can play the entire game as if it was made for super Nintendo, i WISH i didn't already buy the original version or else I would get this version to get some ideas for my game and honestly the story was tooooo boring for me to play again. Hmm I'm sure somebody will do a lets play in 2D mode on YouTube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
froggy32400