Not open for further replies.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just trying out a few RTP tile edits in this map, quite interesting mapping an autmn forest. I took a little inspiration from Etrian Odyssey 2's Auburn Thicket.

P.S: So after the VX team kick out Ralph, he get's replaced by a spunky look a like, so can tell he's new~

Blair Pendragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was mapping out the starting area to my game, when I stumbled upon the idea of placing small patches of grass next to eachother with the Shift+Right Click.

I kind of like it, but im curious as to what other people think.
Does it look too weird?

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Blair Pendragon: I actually think that looks pretty cool. You could play around with how widespread apart they are.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, you surely won't see that kind of grass normally, but IMO, it looks fine. though as Cat said, it might be nice to play with the spread :)

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
@Blair Pendragon: I think you might wanna reduce the density of the small separated grass patches made via shift-clicks. I know it's kinda something easy to get too obsessive about, but when you place too many small grass patches together like that, the square tile grid will be very obvious and jarring. One or two or them here and there is fine, just don't place them too closely like that.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@AnneSeraphim

The circle effect around the park is nice, but I would add a bit of visual impact in the blank street area, unless that is a deliberate plot point, such as "Why is nobody around this little park?  Oh, yes, it eats people/has a powerful dragon slumbering underneath it  Crap!"

*cue park boss battle*  Yes, it sounds really strange, but when I see large blank area in the outdoors, it draws my attention to the little area and wonder what is special about it.

A bit of fencing, perhaps a few flowers, lampposts, or better yet, some wandering people (who might not be visible in the screenshot) will work nicely.  

So, no, I don't think it sucks.  Even if we are all avid RPG fans (which is highly likely), assembling a pseudo 3D map from tiles is a skill we only learn by doing.   I'd right-click on any Map and say "Load Sample Map."  Then examine how that map is constructed for some invaluable map-making tips.  You can delete the sample map when you're done.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Blair Pendragon

I think it looks interesting. Sometimes grass does indeed grow in patches.  Personally, if I had such a tile, I'd intersperse a more sparse grass tile between the more lush grass.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
I've been using the technique for years and really, less is more. You don't want to override your map with it but patches here and there look good. Same with broken up paths in run-down areas. ;p (Personally, I go a little bigger with the 'patches' so they don't look as discombobulated.)

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
grass can and does grow in patches, it is a good technique continue =)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Chaos Avian

There are some nice touches to the map; but I wonder about a couple of things.

I personally find the edit which gives mushrooms at the base of every tree a bit much.  It emphasises, rather than diminishes, the look of uniformity.

I also think that the plant on the tree on the right side of the map (to the left of the one with the vine) looks odd there.  I think it fits on cliff faces, but it's the wrong shape for growing on trees, and it's vigorous growth looks a bit out of place in an autumn setting.

Reactions: Ksi

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@chaos i dont think anyone other then ks is going to notice, or be bothered by that lol

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Razzi:

So, this is basically a town with no streets? That's original. I suppose that "order" is not these citizens top priority, but "law" seems to be.
A gallows at the entrance of town, what a way to say "welcome!" :D

You could expect the benches to be there to enjoy the park, but even them are turned toward the gallows. That must be the main attraction in town.

I don't know what the player is supposed to feel in this town, but that doesn't look like the most pleasant place to travel.

But this is a graphically nice town!

RaZzi

My Peculiar Brother
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
@Cabfe: Yes. The Weekly Hanging night at Sunday evenings is THE place to be.

Bluetoes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Razzi

I absolutely love the style of the town, and that train looks really nice. I can't really complain about anything really, and if the gallows are the main attraction, then it does make sense to have them near the entrance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just fiddled around with the high fantasy resources a bit. If you can guess where I got the idea for the layout of this village, you get a hug!

I didn't read the whole topic, so I don't know if anyone answered you already, but the correct answer is Canaan from FF3(j).

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A

Going to be a place where characters can change abilities and other character options.

@Razzi I don't know why but that makes me want to play Animal Crossing.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
@chaos i dont think anyone other then ks is going to notice, or be bothered by that lol
Actually, you're wrong on that count. Ksjp is right about the mushrooms and cliff-grass. Perhaps take the mushrooms and make them B-E layer and overlay some with the tree trunks instead of having them on every one. It looks very strange that they're all on each one. And yes, the grass is for cliffage, not trees. The angle it's at is very strange for tree-growth. Invest also in some shift-mapping to make things appear as though they extend behind the tree roof so there's a feeling of 'more space' below.

Lordlee91

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey guys, I'm still new to game making although I have made a completed game (completed games section called Chosen). I received feedback about my interior maps saying they aren't detailed enough so if anyone wouldn't mind giving me tips on how to improve them, I'd really appreciate it.

Here we go:

This first screenshot is a castle hallway, I understand the map is probably too big and not detailed enough but I wanted to give the impression that it's a grand hallway.

Untitled.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 19.14.40.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 19.15.09.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 19.17.28.png

screen shot 2.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
First off - size. They are all huge. I'll use the second map to illustrate a few things.

Take the double bed ad your base size. Say roughly 5ft x 6ft. See how wide that makes your doorway based on the number of tiles? And the size of your room, again based on the number of tiles? This is why it is so difficult to fill and make it look lived in.

Then your choice of objects. Who keeps a barrel in the bedroom? Or washes clothes there? Reduce it to a quarter of its size and it will be much easier to furnish.

And so for all your rooms. Don't just stick random stuff there to fill a void. Remove the void and furnish appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I haven’t worked on my game in a while. Tomorrow might be the day.
*squeals* :kaoblush:

I've been experimenting with improved memory management again, which allowed me to include items to increase player path length. These are both 44 grid spaces long, and stable. :LZSexcite:
I FINALLY DID IT! 5 years making my very first game and I just officially released it on STEAM..... OMG..... I can say I finished a game! The feelings!!!!!
Stream will be live shortly! I am going to be playing some Among Us! Feel free to drop by!
Ami
tv program always get the ratings (it's the reason why drama series has 1000+ episode),also full and nonsense of censorship (weird blur, a scene getting cut because the unconvenient viewer,but it unconvenient to me either. you never see what the original is)

i know the reason is to take cover the viewer from the negative thing,but i just laughing and mocking of them that they're always suck :guffaw:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeFleming