Game & Map Screenshots 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lunarea, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Just trying out a few RTP tile edits in this map, quite interesting mapping an autmn forest. I took a little inspiration from Etrian Odyssey 2's Auburn Thicket.

P.S: So after the VX team kick out Ralph, he get's replaced by a spunky look a like, so can tell he's new~

[​IMG]

Dalph likes this.
  2. Blair Pendragon

Blair Pendragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was mapping out the starting area to my game, when I stumbled upon the idea of placing small patches of grass next to eachother with the Shift+Right Click.

I kind of like it, but im curious as to what other people think.
    Does it look too weird?
    [​IMG]

3. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Blair Pendragon: I actually think that looks pretty cool. You could play around with how widespread apart they are.

4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Well, you surely won't see that kind of grass normally, but IMO, it looks fine. though as Cat said, it might be nice to play with the spread :)

5. EvilEagles

EvilEagles Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Blair Pendragon: I think you might wanna reduce the density of the small separated grass patches made via shift-clicks. I know it's kinda something easy to get too obsessive about, but when you place too many small grass patches together like that, the square tile grid will be very obvious and jarring. One or two or them here and there is fine, just don't place them too closely like that.

6. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @AnneSeraphim

The circle effect around the park is nice, but I would add a bit of visual impact in the blank street area, unless that is a deliberate plot point, such as "Why is nobody around this little park?  Oh, yes, it eats people/has a powerful dragon slumbering underneath it  Crap!"

*cue park boss battle*  Yes, it sounds really strange, but when I see large blank area in the outdoors, it draws my attention to the little area and wonder what is special about it.

A bit of fencing, perhaps a few flowers, lampposts, or better yet, some wandering people (who might not be visible in the screenshot) will work nicely.  

So, no, I don't think it sucks.  Even if we are all avid RPG fans (which is highly likely), assembling a pseudo 3D map from tiles is a skill we only learn by doing.   I'd right-click on any Map and say "Load Sample Map."  Then examine how that map is constructed for some invaluable map-making tips.  You can delete the sample map when you're done.

7. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Blair Pendragon

I think it looks interesting. Sometimes grass does indeed grow in patches.  Personally, if I had such a tile, I'd intersperse a more sparse grass tile between the more lush grass.

8. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    I've been using the technique for years and really, less is more. You don't want to override your map with it but patches here and there look good. Same with broken up paths in run-down areas. ;p (Personally, I go a little bigger with the 'patches' so they don't look as discombobulated.)

9. Stridah

Stridah The People's Champion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    grass can and does grow in patches, it is a good technique continue =)

10. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Chaos Avian

There are some nice touches to the map; but I wonder about a couple of things.

I personally find the edit which gives mushrooms at the base of every tree a bit much.  It emphasises, rather than diminishes, the look of uniformity.

I also think that the plant on the tree on the right side of the map (to the left of the one with the vine) looks odd there.  I think it fits on cliff faces, but it's the wrong shape for growing on trees, and it's vigorous growth looks a bit out of place in an autumn setting.

Ksi likes this.
  11. Stridah

Stridah The People's Champion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @chaos i dont think anyone other then ks is going to notice, or be bothered by that lol

12. RaZzi

RaZzi My Peculiar Brother Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
  13. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Razzi:

So, this is basically a town with no streets? That's original. I suppose that "order" is not these citizens top priority, but "law" seems to be.
    A gallows at the entrance of town, what a way to say "welcome!" :D

You could expect the benches to be there to enjoy the park, but even them are turned toward the gallows. That must be the main attraction in town.

I don't know what the player is supposed to feel in this town, but that doesn't look like the most pleasant place to travel.

But this is a graphically nice town!

14. RaZzi

RaZzi My Peculiar Brother Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    @Cabfe: Yes. The Weekly Hanging night at Sunday evenings is THE place to be.

15. Bluetoes

Bluetoes Veteran Veteran

@Razzi

I absolutely love the style of the town, and that train looks really nice. I can't really complain about anything really, and if the gallows are the main attraction, then it does make sense to have them near the entrance.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  16. Solo

Solo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I didn't read the whole topic, so I don't know if anyone answered you already, but the correct answer is Canaan from FF3(j).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  17. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Going to be a place where characters can change abilities and other character options.

@Razzi I don't know why but that makes me want to play Animal Crossing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
    Tsukitsune likes this.
  18. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Actually, you're wrong on that count. Ksjp is right about the mushrooms and cliff-grass. Perhaps take the mushrooms and make them B-E layer and overlay some with the tree trunks instead of having them on every one. It looks very strange that they're all on each one. And yes, the grass is for cliffage, not trees. The angle it's at is very strange for tree-growth. Invest also in some shift-mapping to make things appear as though they extend behind the tree roof so there's a feeling of 'more space' below.

19. Lordlee91

Lordlee91 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys, I'm still new to game making although I have made a completed game (completed games section called Chosen). I received feedback about my interior maps saying they aren't detailed enough so if anyone wouldn't mind giving me tips on how to improve them, I'd really appreciate it.

Here we go:

This first screenshot is a castle hallway, I understand the map is probably too big and not detailed enough but I wanted to give the impression that it's a grand hallway.

Untitled.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 19.14.40.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 19.15.09.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 19.17.28.png

screen shot 2.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  20. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    First off - size. They are all huge. I'll use the second map to illustrate a few things.

Take the double bed ad your base size. Say roughly 5ft x 6ft. See how wide that makes your doorway based on the number of tiles? And the size of your room, again based on the number of tiles? This is why it is so difficult to fill and make it look lived in.

Then your choice of objects. Who keeps a barrel in the bedroom? Or washes clothes there? Reduce it to a quarter of its size and it will be much easier to furnish.

And so for all your rooms. Don't just stick random stuff there to fill a void. Remove the void and furnish appropriately.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
    Tsukitsune and DeviTheHuman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.