Not open for further replies.

Lordlee91

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First off - size. They are all huge. I'll use the second map to illustrate a few things.

Take the double bed ad your base size. Say roughly 5ft x 6ft. See how wide that makes your doorway based on the number of tiles? And the size of your room, again based on the number of tiles? This is why it is so difficult to fill and make it look lived in.

Then your voice of objects. Who keeps a barrel in the bedroom? Or washes clothes there? Reduce it to a quarter of its size and it will be much easier to furnish.

And so for all your rooms. Don't just stick random stuff there to fill a void. Remove the void and furnish appropriately.
Completely understand where your coming from so thanks for the feedback, thing is (we'll use the second map as an example again) I know the rooms are huge but I can't seem to make them any smaller, the program won't let me.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just because the map size itself is big doesn't mean you have to fill it all up and make the rooms that size. It won't let you go smaller because then it would be too small for the screen. Just fill in the outside edges with black.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@lordlee91

As an example of what Sharm referred to, here is a very simple shop, nothing special

My background isn't pure black because I choose to show a picture there, but if you just leave it all blank the engine makes it black for you.  As you can see, the shop itself is very small.

Lordlee91

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@lordlee91

As an example of what Sharm referred to, here is a very simple shop, nothing special

My background isn't pure black because I choose to show a picture there, but if you just leave it all blank the engine makes it black for you.  As you can see, the shop itself is very small.
Something like this maybe?

edge's new house 2.png

Thanks for all your help.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
Much better but let me introduce you to wall partitions. :D

Just two quick examples of how adding walls to create rooms within a larger room can make a house look more like a house and less like a one-room apartment. ;p

Lordlee91

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Much better but let me introduce you to wall partitions. :D

Just two quick examples of how adding walls to create rooms within a larger room can make a house look more like a house and less like a one-room apartment. ;p
Awesome ;) Thanks a lot I'll start practicing ;P

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
Going to be a place where characters can change abilities and other character options.

@Razzi I don't know why but that makes me want to play Animal Crossing.

Sadly ;_;   no one commented on my shot that day.

@ksjp17 I really D:<  hate that fireplace :headshake:  . It looks so very out of proportion to all the other stuff in the room and most everything else in the tileset too.

Also yellow wood floors come on rtp yellow? I don't think even big bird has yellow wood floors!

Example of not yellow wooden floors (This is a bar area btw)

@Ksi That rug border at the door..brilliant  BD  idea. Add that one to my tool list.

but the kitchen is bla. Need some cabinets. What kitchen doesn't have cabinets?

and the bedroom furniture needs pixel movement up to the wall. and who has tile in the hallway?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
...you do realise I just whipped that up as an example of wall partitions, correct? The maps are already deleted...

RagnaTheGrey

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
this is my first map that ive finished sorry its not bigger i dont know how to get the whole map to fit in the screen let me know what you think good or bad

map screen.png

Last edited by a moderator:

C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Dungeoning 4 le Radiant Chain.

Laser/mirror puzzles and a pokemon arrow puzzle.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Alright, a couple from me. More forest and MORE forest. Plus, you might as well go all out if you're doing an RTP based game. (I really need to get on with the seasonal forests...)

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Reaction score
First Language
English
Please don't lower treeline height like that. Make it 2-high all the way around or three. One is far too small and when mixed with 2-high, just looks ridiculous. You could also benefit from some shift mapping when it comes to overlaying the 'roof' tiles with the water tiles to give the illusion of the water running behind the tops of the trees. And that miniwaterfall is just no, please don't. If you're adding a waterfall, make cliffs to run it off, please. Not trees. It just looks wrong.

Otherwise, it looks okay detail-wise. If you're going for autumnal, why not recolour the roof leaves a little, too? It'd add to the atmosphere a bit more.

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@chaos i like what you did very nice map, i agree on the waterfall seemingly comming out of the tree's & the lower tree line.  Also really like the character portraits and clean message skin used.

@benny, looks like some intense puzzles in that thing, i liked the mapping i think it is very well detailed good job.

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah ok, was wondering about the "treefall" thing, I'll change that, the 1-2 tile trees. Also, the forest theme is a seasonal transition so they start off in a summer/ spring forest, then autumn, to finish with a winter forest, I have forest tiles edits for each theme.

Have to admit, I was lazy with the water shift mapping. Better that I only have 4 to edit rather than 10-12 -_-

Criticism was harsh but definitely needed, thanks Ksi~ :3

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Chaos,

yeah lazy happens & sometimes your eyes get tired looking at the same map for a while, you do a great job, very impressive editor mapping!

C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My current title screen:

I am a bit concerned about the two options "Continue" and "Quit" being darken like that. Does it seem weird? :D

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You had me thinking I was on Lemmasoft for a minute. Your game's title looks very much like a visual novel. The text looks fine to me, they just look like normal "can't click this yet" greyed out options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can't wait for the next Sonichu
Birdhouses are usually made of wood. Birds typically live in trees. Trees are wood. Birdhouses are made of birdhouses.
He just discovered cellphones...

(I don't know why am I drawing so much these days...)
In medieval times, a common way to eat food was upon edible plates, which were made of bread, called trenchers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBIZA