Game & Map Screenshots 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lunarea, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaelan

Kaelan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Mr. Detective Looks fine to me. Is it animated, like the original background was?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
  2. somuchrainbow

somuchrainbow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm not really sure if this topic should go here, but my game is basically only this map at the moment.

Anyway...

[​IMG]

The game is fully mouse controlled. So I thought I'd make a parallax map with icons on it instead of a traditional world map that the character walks on. However, it just doesn't look quite right... and I'm not really sure what to do to make it look more polished. All I've been doing is experimenting with the map markers and so far the DS tiles look the best (though they still don't look good). Ideas?

Vexed and McP like this.
  3. servantb7

servantb7 Servantb7 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Most of it looks good. It looks like something is off with the clouds, though. Could you bring them to the front so they are on top of the icons and not behind?

4. somuchrainbow

somuchrainbow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There aren't any clouds. You might be thinking of the snow...or the borders? The borders are part of the picture. I could try to add clouds though...

5. byronclaude

byronclaude Master of all things... (except the things I am no Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think it is actually kind of cool, and different.  I think the idea that the snow was mistaken for clouds, is unfortunately an indication that maybe the snow needs just a little work.

Aside from that, it looks good!  Definitely unique!

Is the entire map to fit on the screen?  Or will it be possible to zoom in at all?   It seem like if I (the player) were able to zoom in just a bit, (and have the map as scrollable)... it would give the world a bit more size (or a feeling of size)....      Obviously one can't have it all, and I am not sure with your set up if that is even possible, or correct for the intended game play...     ...so just an idea.

Otherwise, I think it is awesome!

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We have a Game & Map Screenshots thread, where you can get this sort of feedback. Merging.

7. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If you want it to blend better you could hand draw the markers like you did the map.

8. Pyonkotchi

Pyonkotchi Villager Member

First Language:
    english
  9. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Why so large? Cut the house down a tad, eh?

10. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Also I wonder about the tile you have chosen for the floor.  Because it is often used to indicate rock, I find it odd for it to be the floor of a house.  But perhaps that is simply because I've only ever seen it used for caves and such like.  Maybe others don't have that reaction.

EDIT

Having now looked at your town map, I see that the tile I was referring to is indeed your rock surface.  Given the luxurious nature of some of the furnishings, why wouldn't the occupant cover the rock over with something?  Particularly as you have carpets anyway.

Also, I'm wondering about how you've chosen the furnishings.  Where do they eat?  No table/chairs for that.  Why does the occupant do alchemy/chemical tests in the bedroom?  Why does the occupant have so many swords that a special box is needed for them, and the only wall decoration (other than the clock, which arguably is functional, not decorative) is a set of knives, yet the number of teddy bears present indicates a less war-like personality.  Not a single window to be seen.  It all feels a bit random.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  11. Pyonkotchi

Pyonkotchi Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    thanks guys : )

the main character is an assassin, and she makes her own poisons and potions. so thats "business" i guess xD. and the bears and stuff is very much intentional i wanted to show she was dangerous but still has a cute side. 

updated room made it a bit smaller, changed he floor because it really was bad and this one looks better, and added and moved a few things around. 

[​IMG]

annnd i just realized i forgot to put the clock and windows ahhhhh whoops >.>;;

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  12. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's still big, you can cut it back a little more.

On the left side: Move the candle on top of the chair, the sword box next to the wall, 2-3 tiles below the bookshelf, move the table to the right 1-2 tiles, and cut back the rest of the space on the left.

Middle: Move the shelves below the candle, cut back whatever is left.

Right: Move the cabinet and the teddy bear above the table, move the bed closer, then move everything on to the right, cut back the rest of the space and that extra path below the table.

Also, the 3 tiles for the entrance is a little overkill for an ordinary house. And the path to the bedroom could be cut back to just 1 tile.

Just what I would do. :D

13. Kaelan

Kaelan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Saturn

If you want to be really fancy, you can add more animations, subdivide map regions into their own sub-maps, add a little pathfinding and do all travelling on the map itself:

14. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is a work in progress for the entrance of a rich villa.
    What I need is your advice on the way I've put the upper floor above the rest of the rooms downstairs.
    I've added a line of cast shadow on top of the "ceiling" of those rooms but I wonder if this looks good.

[​IMG]

Also, the carpet. I used the shift-click technique but I'm not so sure if it's alright like this (before the stairs and the door).
    Shouldn't a woven carpet be straight, with the border always visible?
    I think it looks better in my pic but maybe it's unrealistic. Which is better?

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) likes this.
  15. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Overall, I really like it. I think I would bring the "balcony" down a couple of tiles so that there is no need to put a "roof" on the rooms to the right and left. I think the carpet looks really nice as well. I think the only thing I would perhaps change is bring it all the way across in the front, connecting the three pieces. If the entry area were bigger, I'd say it would make more sense to leave them as they are, but in such a small area, in my opinion, it would make more sense if it all ran together. Otherwise, I would bring the pieces on the left and right away from the wall one tile to show they are rug runners as well instead of a carpeted floor. Hope that makes some sense. I do like what you have going on.

16. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    No, mlogan. Never do that to a carpet. Ever. Cut the left side of the carpet off. If it's going up the stairs it should be the same width as the stairs - a runner, that is. Or remove the carpet on the stairs and make the carpet run left to right in that hallway part. Remember, carpets are rectangular or square always, unless they're not autotiled ones (custom circle/oval for example).  Otherwise, it's not bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
    cabfe likes this.
  17. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for your advices.

Actually, instead of bringing down the "balcony", I've upped the rooms below.
    In game, the upper floor will have its own map so I don't need to show too much on this one.

Of course, the entrance is now very big but, since it's an entrance, it should be OK.

As for the lateral carpets, I've kept the 3-tiles wide like the vertical one, but that looks like a lot of blue on screen.

[​IMG]

18. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, I get what you are saying, but my point was, my opinion is that it looks weird to have three rugs meet so close together, particularly when two of those look more like wall-to-wall carpet. If it were my map I'd change up some part of it, maybe even remove the rug at the top hallway.

edit: You posted before I could! Okay, I like the balcony/rooms better. Keep the carpet at the bottom the way you had it without the lower border visible, it would be cut off from view by the wall. Personally, I would bring the lower wall back up one tile, I think the halls look too wide now, especially when you consider that part of it is hidden by the lower wall.

I liked it better when the rug stopped at the top of the stairs. Maybe do one long rug horizontally, separate the top rug again, leave a bare floor tile at the bottom of the stairs, and have the rug up the stairs strictly on the steps?

Okay, with RTP tiles, something like this:

[​IMG]

cabfe likes this.
  19. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @mlogan:

If I understood correctly, is that how you imagined it?

[​IMG]

mlogan likes this.
  20. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yep! (You see I went back and added a "sample" that looks the same.) Personally, I think it looks great this way. Others may disagree and they may have more experience with it than I do, so take my opinion for what it's worth. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.