Game & Map Screenshots 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lunarea, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeyintartan

monkeyintartan TartanMonkey Veteran

First Language:
    english
    @Soliah: thanks for pointing out the little mistakes :D , the statues are there randomly because there part of an overall simple puzzle where in order to gain access to the ruins you need to place power Runes in the statues located at it entrance to allow the door to open.

I explain in the story that the ruins were once a sacred temple and in order to protect a rare flower that grows in its grounds during a period of war, the forest was warped and its location moves around the world dependant on the time of day. So in order to find it you need to learn its locations and times or be very lucky and stumble in to it.

Hope that explains why the statues are in random places :D   

2. Stridah

Stridah The People's Champion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    been a while, trust me i have been working but here is a screen.

the map is not finished yet, i will be painting some blood splatter & need some dead mac sprites made for me still.  

When i get it in game it will have lighting effects etc, but still a ways off from that.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @stridah - Beautiful! I love it! What wall tiles are those - they are gorgeous!

Stridah likes this.
  4. Stridah

First Language:
    English
    @logan,

they are xp cliff tiles i added a lil "pop" to them.

5. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll say - they look beautiful!

6. monkeyintartan

First Language:
    english
    Screen Shot of my main menu :D

Main Menu.png

Main Menu.png

7. Kaelan

Kaelan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @monkeyintartan

The background and the actor panel is really nice, but those sparkles really get in the way, I'd just remove them.  The command descriptions also don't look like they need to be on a separate line, i'd just draw the command name left-aligned and the description right-aligned unless you have some really long description for the other commands. The font also would look better if it was a more regular, easier to read font. The fancy fonts are good for logos and title screens, but I don't think they really work for UI stuff.

Menus and combat stuff I've been working on. Looks a bit better in motion, I might put together a short video of it soon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bonkers and StrawberrySmiles like this.
  8. monkeyintartan

First Language:
    english
    @ Kaelan, The sparkly bits are moving when you play there not static . Il try using a few different fonts but I am going for the hand written look as if it was a scroll, and its really hard to find the right font that does that and still looks good and not childish aha :D

9. ディーノス

ディーノス Make a new destiny! Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    My World Map~

[​IMG]

10. DeviTheHuman

DeviTheHuman (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Deenos That's an interesting world map. Though it looks weird to have snow on one landmass but not the others at the same elevation.

@Stridah That is a nice map. I can't wait to see it with the lighting. The perspective on the long vertical cross beams look off, almost like their going into the dirt rather than the opposite wall. It could be me though.

11. Stridah

First Language:
    English
    @ devi i just looked, i think it looks fine and clearly goes into the wall? Could you possibly circle where u mean? Sorry but my eyes aren't seeing it prob had 10 hours on that map lol so some burnout.

12. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    But the wall is dirt, isn't it? It's a mine. It looks fine to me at any rate.

13. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @ stridah

I agree that there is something about the vertical beams (the horizontal ones are absolutely fine).  Somehow it doesn't look like they are going across to the lower wall, it looks like they are going down into the ground.  I think that the lower end needs to come up a couple of pixels so that you can just see it at the top edge of the wall.

EDIT

I've just had a look at one of my own maps where I have something very similar, and I see that I have set the top end of the beam a bit lower down the wall, level with the cross piece.  This makes the angle less acute, and I think that will help the perspective problem.  Also, I think that structurally the beam needs to be at the cross piece rather than perching on the top of the uprights, as that is where there is greater strength and the weight gets spread across the supports.  

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
  14. RaZzi

RaZzi My Peculiar Brother Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
  15. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    @Kaelan:

Arent' those portrait pictures from Baldur's Gate?

@RaZi:

I like the world map, looks like there will be a lot to explore. But I'm not so sure about all those islands in the northwest. They don't look very naturally. I would maybe integrate some of them into the continents or combine two islands to form a bigger island. Right now they have almost same exact sizes.

And here is a little map shot from me. Really doesn't belong to any project, just exercising a bit, trying out lighting techniques, a new xp sprite variation, some small edits and combining different tilesets to, hopefully, one cohesive look.

[​IMG]

16. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Candacis

very nice indeed.  The only thing that left me wondering for a moment is the sprite behind/to the left of the mage in purple.  For a short while I could only see the head and though it was a detached something, possibly peering up over the cliff.  Then I saw the body.  Maybe it's a result of the animation, or a transient thing with the lighting, but I did wonder if the body needs just a touch more definition?  Or maybe it's meant to be slightly transparent?

btw, where did you get those trees?  I think they are particularly nice (and I always feel I can never have enough trees). 

17. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Thanks, yeah, it is meant to be just slightly visible. Maybe it should have a bit more opacity.

The tree (it is only one, recolored by me) is the Evergreen tree by Venere.

18. DeviTheHuman

DeviTheHuman (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Stridah Sorry it took forever for me to respond. I needed to find a place to upload the map. The places where I circled is where it looks like the angle of the beams are off. Like KSFJP17 said, you may need to raise the end of the bar up more so it's in line with the top of the wall.

[​IMG]

19. West Mains

West Mains Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    WIP town bit im doing. :)

20. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Why is there planks on the lower house? And the sign on the wall? It's very bushy... I mean, greenery is a-okay to me, but unless it's a forest town, more houses might be an idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.