Status
Not open for further replies.

Ksi

~RTP Princess~
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
The window would probably be better at the bottom of the screen. That, or have the Hud fade out while the window is up. Also, the L/R thing... Why not reposition it at the bottom of the window instead of in the text. It looks hella awkward as is. I get that you're trying for the (A) button feel but it just comes off as kitschy and non-polished. Hell, even putting the L on the left end of the window and the R on the right (centered, of course) would look better. But yeah, apart from that the hud looks neat and the map is... I think it's one of your best so far. It's been great watching your mapping evolve so much, MBT~

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The window would probably be better at the bottom of the screen. That, or have the Hud fade out while the window is up. Also, the L/R thing... Why not reposition it at the bottom of the window instead of in the text. It looks hella awkward as is. I get that you're trying for the (A) button feel but it just comes off as kitschy and non-polished. Hell, even putting the L on the left end of the window and the R on the right (centered, of course) would look better. But yeah, apart from that the hud looks neat and the map is... I think it's one of your best so far. It's been great watching your mapping evolve so much, MBT~

The thing is, it doesn't freeze the game so that you can be attacked and floor hazard may hurt you so that there's no way to really time it properly.  The L/R is actually part of the HUD, not the window and it's for selecting the tool you can use in the map, such as dropping bombs or such.

I'll try to lower the window down though I'll probably have to consider Modern Algebra how to do that since there's no option for that. 

And uh, I didn't actually map this, I just did the effects and such. I can't map good enough so I paid for someone with more talent to do it for me.  ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

hian

Biggest Boss
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
Testing the HUD, using an old map from another project.

Lost some graphic fidelity, which bothers me a lot, but for the moment I'm pleased with the general design.

@Mr.Big T:

If the item info window is interfering with your HUD, and you can't find a way to reposition it,

I'd advise you to try out "Yanfly Engine Ace - Event Window"-script, because it's a very nice looking item/gold info pop-up script that appears in the lower left corner of the screen.

Unless of course it's incompatible with whatever you're using now.

Mimironi

But what do I know?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MAP001.png

Im trying to do a new house style, so the outside isn't that detailed.

What do you guys think.

hian

Biggest Boss
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
MAP001.png

Im trying to do a new house style, so the outside isn't that detailed.

What do you guys think.
The "invisible roof" style was very popular in the NES era, though it fell kinda out of favor with a lot of SNES rpgs.

It can be ok, if done right. There are however, a couple of issues here. Firstly, I don't see any way in or out of the house, and no windows. Secondly, there is something off about the way you've set up the wall tiles(not the inner walls, but rather the tile you chose to represent the wall as seen from above, through the roof). I'm not sure exactly how, but I think you should try again with a different tile that doesn't end up with these strange lines of poor transition, like in the bottom right corner etc.

Thirdly, the walls in the middle are only one tile tall, even though the house in general is two tiles tall.

Allerka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here is the lower level of my mine.

-i may add more braziers or lanterns when i play with lighting in rpgmaker

-there will be dead sprites and some blood splatter after i find a good mac spriter

Awesome stuff! Saw a couple other pictures a few pages back, I love what you've done with the tileset, man!

The "invisible roof" style was very popular in the NES era, though it fell kinda out of favor with a lot of SNES rpgs.

It can be ok, if done right. There are however, a couple of issues here. Firstly, I don't see any way in or out of the house, and no windows. Secondly, there is something off about the way you've set up the wall tiles(not the inner walls, but rather the tile you chose to represent the wall as seen from above, through the roof). I'm not sure exactly how, but I think you should try again with a different tile that doesn't end up with these strange lines of poor transition, like in the bottom right corner etc.

Thirdly, the walls in the middle are only one tile tall, even though the house in general is two tiles tall.
Pretty much all this. Try swapping out the roof tile for another one?

So, after my laptop disappeared on me for a few weeks, I had to put things on hold, but I'm back and at it again (after backing up all my stuff to Dropbox. Don't need another heart attack). Working on the next map for the Westwoods, still on the basic blocking, but trying to see if I can integrate some shifting elevation in terrain for a parallax map. The opening on the left will lead to that small grotto map I showed you a while back. Thoughts?

Map016.png

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@allerka

thanks mate! start parallaxing your map so we can see what it will be, map looks kinda basic till you add details! i do think on the elevation shift pebbles are supposed to be on both sides of the "incline" i don't map in editor tho so not sure, but look at the elevation change on my map.

*edit just realized im working on the map with elevation changes* give me a day lol

Cluly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So, I've spent a few weeks playing with RPG Maker VX Ace since it was available on steam. Done some mapping, got to know eventing and scripting and started working on a small survival horror type of game ... Here's the first map from it, hope you like it.

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Cluly What the hell? A few weeks? What the hell...

Edit: It's amazing, btw. I'm just saying, I can hardly believe that you're so good already. I'm thoroughly looking forward to your first game if this is your first 3 weeks, loool.

The_Renegade_

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I got bored and decided to mess with parallaxing forests.

This first one uses RTP grass with Celianna's long grass, her trees as well, and slightly edited RTP dirt.

This one I went through a longer process, I messed around with using battlebacks as part of the base layer of grass, and the color didn't end up matching the trees too well.

I do like the general texture of it despite that. I mixed in Venere's tree in here too. The dirt is a custom made pattern.

This is just a general idea of what the grass looks like in the later one.

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks beautiful. I love the clustering of trees, and how you layer grass. You combine different grasses, and I like that. I'm thinking of trying it that way too.

William MC

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Eng. & Span.
Primarily Uses
Took me a while to fix and learn how to record it, but here's a short video showing the cutscene and the little maps you guys helped me with:

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@William MC Looks great, and it's a great cutscene. I love the intrigue and the suspense. It's got a couple of spelling and grammatical errors, though:

~~~

"Zekiel, I sense trouble on the horizon."

"What is it, (comma) Lord Yukikage?"

"Yes, (comma) most definitely. Though I'm unsure what it is that is causing such a dire effect on them."

"Please, (comma) Lord Yukikage, allow me to go investigate the cause of the light's (apostrophe) disappearance."

"Thank you, (comma) master."

~~~

Hope this helps!

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@master you need some rocks and flowers and stuff to break up all that green, i am assuming it is not finished yet?  Solid job on the texturing i prefer the second one personally.

Allerka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I got bored and decided to mess with parallaxing forests.

This first one uses RTP grass with Celianna's long grass, her trees as well, and slightly edited RTP dirt.

This one I went through a longer process, I messed around with using battlebacks as part of the base layer of grass, and the color didn't end up matching the trees too well.

I do like the general texture of it despite that. I mixed in Venere's tree in here too. The dirt is a custom made pattern.

<snip>

This is just a general idea of what the grass looks like in the later one.
Man, I am LOVING that grass. Good stuff!

OK, spent a few hours parallaxing, so here's some actual details to that map. Still have to split it up for use in-game, but since it'll look the same, figured I'd post it anyway. Total of 321 objects in there, heh.

forest2.png

The_Renegade_

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I decided to try out mapping with cliffs. I still need work with it, I probably need to put them into the map editor instead of doing it straight out of GIMP.

I also used a new dirt texture, that I got from mixing three tiles out of worldA2. Most of the rocks, and clumps of flowers are from Indra.

I also think I got the grass color better than last time.

Mimironi

But what do I know?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MAP001.png

Sorry for the big empty space, I haven't worked on the outside yet and this was the only way to see the whole house...

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Master - Quite lovely!!

@Mirpono - I like it, I think it's a cute style. The only thing I find odd is that it seems to be a family living there and yet there is only 1 single bed. :unsure:

Needle

Sharp as a Tack
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I had posted these shots in the GMD thread, but I'm looking for an honest critique to see if I'm heading in the right direction -

This is an old, rickety tower that's falling apart and overgrown. I'm still in the process of adding more overgrowth, but I feel like I've got a good enough start that my intentions are obvious enough.

Worth noting that I'm more or less only using the RTP, but with heavy coloring and clumping edits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hello folks, I'm an old member deciding to reenter the forum. Greetings :D
When a parent (of a less than adult aged child) is like
"Oh, I'm like a friend to my child. We're friends."
I'm like
"Oh, that kid's gonna suck...."
Baby tiger gets a belly rub! ^.^
Ami
--- Friendship System ---

(F.Mage and F.Healer's FP is 100)
F.Mage: We did it! we can beat the monster easily!
F.Healer: With the Friendship System,we got stronger thanks to you F.Mage (Hugging)
F.Mage: (Blushing) Ahh...don't say like that. we are Best Friend Forever.
(In Distand)
M.Mage: They look happy...
M.Healer: Yeah...always like that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilperm