Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Needs more shift clicking when making the walls, it looks strange to have two levels of foundation on all the houses and it's really odd to have wood supporting brick and stone.

Ruby

Of the Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks! I was just trying something new~ does this look better?

NewIrisDistrict_zpsb7608b78.png

Last edited by a moderator:

AcosmicDevi

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ruby It does look a lot better than the previous map, but the building on the bottom left and the one on the top right needs a little shift clicking to make the exterior walls blend in a little better. Right now, the side buildings look disconnected from the main building. Aligning the roofs may also make the buildings look more unified.

Is the bottom left building two stories? Also, I LOVE your windows.

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Working on a cave for Project Halir:

Editor screenshot:

cave_editor.PNG

Ingame screenshots:

cave_ingame.PNG
cave_ingame_2.PNG

cave_ingame_3.PNG
I'm going for environment details to make "simple" areas more interesting. This first, small cave area acts as the first area you get to move around in; navigating it is the introduction to movement and examining the environment, and the chest serves as the first "secret" object. In this area I expect most players might try interacting with different objects, too; this will quickly teach them that only obvious objects - like said chest, and a plaque with text on it, illuminated in the brightest area - are interactive, and that inspecting everything is not necessary. At least that's what I'm going for :)

tearsofthenight

Evil Sorcerer/Mystic Key Stealer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Could i improve? its my first town

Map001.png

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
not bad for your first go. for the inn I suggest shift clicking the second floor in where the base should not be :3

lemongreen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Galenmereth: Your map looks great, the ingame screenshots... not so much, but then again that's just my preference. I really don't like playing anything where it's hard to see what's going on and those are really dark looking (lighting is one of those that are really hard to get the balance exactly right without a lot of practice and patience, and even then you might still have people tell you you're doing it wrong)

Anyway, I actually came in here because I'm having a bit of a second-thoughts problem with a map I just made (and I'm not really sure why)

mycroftsoffice.png

Just for reference, it's parallaxed, but I don't mind redoing/adding to it if I have to (and the tint is for setting purposes ingame) 

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@lemongreen: You're doing lighting wrong.

Just kidding, that looks beautiful! I love all your maps so far, including the Journey contest entry. So good.

@Galenmereth: lemongreen is right, your maps are way too dark that I can't see anything. But it's a really good map otherwise. What about no lighting? lol.

@tearsofthenight: To answer your question: yes, you can improve. But that map is pretty cute. It looks like pokemon, with all the straight roads and lines of brush. Really cute. I'd say you could utilize patches of grass but that might ruin the look.

@ruby: That looks really quaint. I love the farm, it's cozy as anything. I wanna live in that town. You could start using grass though maybe. Like, clumps of grass or whatnot.

~~~

I made some little maps for a school sim I'm making in two weeks. Well actually, the library is too fricking huge but here they are:

XkotOva.png
A4GqYqe.png
0knO5w7.jpg

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@lemongreen

It's a lovely map, but somehow I get the feeling that the perspective is off, and I can't quite put my finger on it.  It might be because of the break caused by the stone flooring at the front and the wooden flooring to the rear of the room.  For a moment my eye thought that it was transitioning into a wall and it took a moment to adjust to the fact that this was still floor.  But even though I 'know' what it is, perhaps it's that which is causing the problem?  If I had to choose, I'd have that wooden flooring go all the way down.  Why would I have stone flooring there in the first place?

@Galenmereth

If I had a less than wonderful monitor, I think I'd struggle with the level of darkness in-game.  Not all your players will have top end equipment, so I'd lighten it up a bit.  Certainly I agree with you that it needs something like what you have implemented; I just think you've taken it a bit too far.

@tearsofthenight

Several possible ways to improve.  One might be to rethink how you are going to indicate what I think you want to show as a long building e.g. the one on the left.  Unfortunately the default tiles are for a raked roof, not a flat one, so you've made it look like a thin semi-skyscraper.  It is very, very hard to do long houses with the default tiles, unless you use the flat roof tiles in the lower middle section of the tilesheet Outside C.

If you look at your trees on the right, second row down in the inverted triangle bit, you will see that one of them is cut in half.  

If I were a prospective use of the Inn, I might wonder why so few people go there that there is no path up to the door.  Does everyone turn back at the bridge?

The water tile you have used suggests artificial ponds and streams.  Is that what you intended?

I am assuming that you simply haven't got round to doing doors and chimneys yet.

Maybe the houses need individualising a bit?  At the moment they are all absolutely identical, yet over time people do personalise their homes, at least a bit.

@CashmereCat

Actually, I think all the spaces are a bit big.  Other than that, the only thing that struck me (and I laughed) was having chairs outside the toilets on the big map.  Such a lot of use that a waiting room is needed?  If not, then I think that's the last place anyone would put chairs - who's going to want to sit there?

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@CashmereCat

Actually, I think all the spaces are a bit big.  Other than that, the only thing that struck me (and I laughed) was having chairs outside the toilets on the big map.  Such a lot of use that a waiting room is needed?  If not, then I think that's the last place anyone would put chairs - who's going to want to sit there?
Lol. Thanks for your feedback, I removed the chairs. I'll try squeezing the maps together but I think I just want to work on the rest of the maps first to get them fleshed out and then I'll come back to scaling them down. Right now the map just doesn't make sense space-wise but IDC this is my crazy "do anything within the space of 2 weeks" project so I guess it don't matter that much. Plus these halls are going to be filled with gameplay so I guess it's important to make them kinda wide I guess. But I get what you're saying, I do.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So this is the entrance to Sultry Succubus, the demoness tavern as well as leading to several other areas. While this intersection serves no purpose other than just being the intersection to the other areas, I would love to hear feedback on this.

MAP006.png

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@ksjp17, @CashmereCat, @lemongreen: Thanks for the feedback! My plan was to implement a brightness slider (common in dark games, like Dark Souls), but after listening to your feedback I went back and asked myself if the amount of darkness benefited the gameplay, and the answer is pretty much "no". Sure, it does add atmosphere, but the cost is too great; I've had monitors that didn't handle contrast that well myself in the past.

I'd love to hear what you think of the following changes, where I've lessened the strength of the darkness, and replaced the "cone" of light in front of the player with a sphere that reaches to the edges of the screen. Here are the same spots with the new lighting:

cave_ingame_v2.PNG

cave_ingame_v2_2.PNG

cave_ingame_v2_3.PNG

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Galenmereth

Much better! I think that, if you wanted to, you could reduce the cone of brightness a little bit - no problem having some of the screen a bit obscure, just not as much as in the originals.

@Mr Big T

Functional, but not as interesting as some of your maps.  The only thing which I think could benefit from changing is where there is a rock sitting in the lava (to the left).  Given the amount of lave in the rest of that little bit, I would have thought that the rock would displace more than it does (which is, actually, nothing as far as the visual goes) so that it is more obviously sitting a pool of lava.  Have it spread out on either side.

oztiks708

The Oz Man
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Lemon - That is gorgeous, I can't find anything wrong in there. Keep up the great work!

@Galenmereth - The change in lighting is much better, like ksjp said, even reducing the lighting a bit would be ok and help you keep that dark look you are going for!

I haven't had much time to work on Echo Shade but here are a few screens from it!

WtfXU0w.png
90gzYSC.png

AW9Z3I3.png
Oh and the new menu style!

qKTp6ST.jpg

AnneSeraphim

DayDreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Etto...I am very reluctant in posting this but...here goes nothing...

It's meant to be a re-creation of Lucy Heartiflia's (a character from Fairy Tail) room. It's still a little incomplete.

I tried my best (not really...maybe...) and I made this so far.

These were my reference images -

Lucy's_room_inside.jpg
lucy_heartfilia_s_apartment_reference_by_yaushie-d5nzabu.jpg

Credit goes to Lunarea, Celianna, and Ayene-chan. Fairy Tail belongs to Hiro Mashima. Here is my RPG Maker version -
Lucy in her room.png
P.S. I know this isn't a thread for feedback on sprites, but people who are familiar with Fairy Tail - does the sprite look at least even a bit like Lucy? 

All feedback appreciated! Thank you!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@AnneSeraphim

I don't know Fairy Tail at all, so cannot comment on the sprite.  For the map, lots of nice touches.  I like the wallpaper and furnishings you have chosen.  The only thing is the size.  In your reference picture, the room has (from the right) wall, a single bed, small space (probably equal to one tile) table, 2 tiles, side view of a cupboard.  In equivalent terms, that's about 7 or maybe 8 tiles wide at most.  Yours is about 14.  I'm not suggesting that you take it right down to 7, but I think if you made it smaller it would have that sense of intimacy/compactness that the reference pic has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

6000 Plugins for RPG Maker MV, Pixel RPG Icons, & Reboot Pixel Font | RPG Maker News #38

Why not smash a guitar on your foes? Ability to play said guitar not included.
Two NPCs blinking animations in VNMaker and two to go. Some progress!
Fun Fact: My last two projects (Fursona and A Postmortem Nation) were released before I could do post-completion playtesting because I got so excited and happy I released them on the spot. Sometimes I have rubbish impulse control. smh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forsakenfox