Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Map's too big to fit on the screen...so here's a portion of it anyway. :/

Liberty City (Warriors of Guardias)

[IMG]http://vvcap.net/db/y1hgaqKIABX_UyOvafG_.png[/IMG]
Steamworks Factory: Smelting Floor A (MutaOni)
[IMG]http://vvcap.net/db/tCnDIKgsT7q44Fzr3oQY.png[/IMG]
First Floor of The Jaded Gardens Labyrinth (MutaOni)
[IMG]http://vvcap.net/db/6oxSKgTI1oBKoCaweTY8.png[/IMG]

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Testing out a new world map maker.

7XHGuu0.png

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Celianna

Very nice indeed.  I'm quite envious!

I've been putting together tile sets for my next project, and decided to map out a very small, poor village to see if the set for this sort of location blends together.  Here it is.  A bit big, so it's in a spoiler.

Deepfold_zpse1baf417.png
It includes a lot of heavy edits, and some tiles from scratch, as well as 'proper' tiles.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
The outhouses with the slanted roof have the wrong perspective. You're only seeing the front, when you should also be seeing the roof in order to have it mesh with the rest of the tiles. I'm also not sure what the 2 rectangular things are in front of the bottom right house. Are they outhouses too? If so, you should still see the roof, even though it's slanted. It would look like the rectangle roof because of the birds-eye view.

Other than that, I'd consider repositioning the two houses on the bottom left so they overlap a bit. I, personally, find it a little awkward when they don't. Alternatively, you could also put in a treetop or top of an object to show there's space between the two houses. :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Lunarea

I'm not sure I quite follow what you mean about the outhouse roof.  It only slopes one way (too small to be an inverted V like a normal roof) and the top of the front view is the roof tile.  Yes, the bottom 2 are outhouses as well, but again I don't understand what you mean by seeing it like the rectangle roof.  There are side views behind the houses on the left and right so show what I was hoping to convey.  Could you give me a bit more explanation, as I'm really a beginner in all this.

Thanks.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ksjp17: Luna means your outhouse has no roof. This kind of perspective means you can still see part of the roof, but yours doesn't have any, giving the illusion that there is none, or that the outhouse is drawn completely in 2D with no depth.

Contrast it to your slanted rooftops ... you can see those, right? Where's the outhouse's?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The ones at the bottom of the map have their roofs sloping away from you, because they only slope one way.  Therefore, from the back all you can see is the bit of the tiling that sticks up higher than the back wall.  The ones at the top of the map are facing you, so they show one tile of roof, just above the door.  The ones at the side show the profile, so you can see what I mean.

It may be that part of the problem is the style of tile I used to make the roof.  It's round pieces of wood tied together, rather than ordinary roof tiles, because it seemed strange to have an outhouse with tiles and houses with thatch.  But perhaps that means that it doesn't look like it's a roof?  Maybe one way round this would be to change the profile so that instead of it being a straight angle down from left to right, there is a tiny flat bit first before the angle.  That means I could make it look more like the 'normal' flat-roof style - though whether I am capable of doing that at such a small scale is questionable.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's my nitpicky thing about the outhouses - usually outhouses have the roof slanting from front down to the back, so to me, the slope of your roofs looks awkward. I wonder if switching the doors to the lower ones would help the perspective issues some are having with it as well.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Celianna

Got it! I see what you mean now about the side ones.  Could you do a similar little something to show what you mean about the ones at the bottom where you are looking at them from the back?

Thanks

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
@ksjp:

It would look exactly the same as the front-facing one you have at the top of the screenshot. Simple square roof.

The 2.5 perspective is merging the front with the birds-eye. From a birds-eye view, the slope doesn't matter. You would see the rectangle just as you do in the front-facing outhouse. :)

---Edit:---

Just in case this still seems confusing...

It comes down to geometry and perspective. The whole RTP 2.5D perspective can throw you for a loop for a bit, but it helps to remember that it's two separate perspectives joined together.

A good way to explain it is with a 3D shape like a cylinder. When you look at a cylinder from the front view, it looks like a rectangle. But if you look at it from bird's eye view, it looks like a circle. So when drawing this in the RTP perspective, it would be a circle at the top and two straight sides (front rectangle).

Now, it might seem a little more confusing when you have a slope, but it's actually still really simple. Whether the slope is facing toward you or away from you doesn't matter in the bird's eye view. it will still look like a rectangle. You will be able to show the slope in the side view, but the front and back will look identical. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Lunarea & Celianna

Done - and they now look tons better.  Thank you for talking me through that.  I now understand so much more clearly what I should be doing.

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Also, this part of my tile tutorial tackles shapes a bit in depth. Hopefully it helps with some of the more complicated or composite shapes.

If you want to see more examples, you can search for drawing 3D geometric shapes. It should give you a bunch of images to use as a reference. :)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@ksjp17:  I'm with mlogan, the direction of the slopes is bothering me too.  Outhouses are made so that the door is the highest point.  You can stand up to go in but you don't need a tall ceiling to sit on the toilet, doing it the other way would just use up more materials in construction for no real reason.

Reactions: Kes

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Sharm

I never thought that outhouses would be such a hot topic!  Okay, all I need to do is swap them around.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

monkeyintartan

TartanMonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
@ksjp17 hay the only other thing I have noticed which is more of a personal preference to be honest is that the shade of the cliffs and the stone of the houses are not the same, to me you build your houses out of the stone available in the location you are in so the shad of grey should match, But as I said that's just personal preference overall I really like the map :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I totally didn't forget that I need to make a map for the tourney and totally didn't waste an entire day going through all 5 eps of the wolf among us
Now I noticed that I joined the forum on April's 7. My birthday is April's 8. I purchased RPG Maker as a gift for myself and had forgotten this. :guffaw:
too... many... ideas... can't... edit them down :dizzy:
Don't you love your work?
It's been half a month and I didn't give signs of life, not even in my website.

I've been studying about my project and I discovered something that I definitely think it will be better.

On the other hand, I still have to learn how to use it properly so I need time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21chytkato