Game & Map Screenshots 5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old) Resident Weirdo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @TimmyTheNerd in my opinion they all look good, especially 1 and 3. 1 is really nice for a smaller, river-based village whereas 3 is a more structured town with a vibrant economy. It looks like it's on the verge of expansion.

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Paladin - Yes, some of my favorite tiles ever! I think the map looks good. The only thing I see that bothers me, and this may just be me, is how the cliffs in the back are desert looking. It looks odd to me to go straight from jungle to desert like that. Personally I would use the green cliff tiles.

@Timmy - I love seeing the evolution! Definite improvement as you go along! I like the layout of #3 and I can see some good use of shift-clicking skills! The only thing I would suggest is to add some more variety around town. I'm not sure which tileset you are using here, but if possible, add some longer grass in areas, maybe some random flowers growing. Are there crates, barrels, benches, stacks of wood, anything you can add here and there to make it looked lived in?

3. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's not so noticable in game because you can't really see the top of the cliffs, but I've edited it anyway to have the same dirt tiles os the ground so it doesn't seem too out of place

4. TimmyTheNerd

TimmyTheNerd Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'll see what I can do.

All resources in my game come from the High Fantasy packs by PVGames. The final one uses a mix of the remastered HF1 resources and the current HF2 resources. My game is based off of the campaign I run for DnD 3.5 (Formerly) and Pathfinder (Currently), been running the campaign for a long time and figured I can use it to make a video game.

5. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Working on my IGMC entry.

[​IMG]

Silvestre and Vexed like this.
  6. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Aww she's a little half-Orc child... Or something. So cute! I'll be interested to see how this pans out.

As to the map, looks good, everything seems fairly natural looking.

7. lemongreen

lemongreen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay, I'd like an opinion on this, please:

[​IMG]More on the font, if anything; I afraid even though I do have a fairly good selection on my computer there doesn't seem to be a lot that like to play nicely with Ace. I'd just like to know if it's readable enough (though really the map itself is in a different style than I'm used to because I thought it fit the cutscene better)

Silvestre likes this.
  8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @lemongrass

I think the font is a bit awkward.  The 'k' in 'know', for example, is not easy to read, and the way the letters in 'going' relate to one another particularly the 'i' and the 'n' doesn't quite work, imo.

On a side issue, if the style of this map is significantly different from everything else that's not a cut scene, will it really blend?  It might fit the cutscene, but that cutscene needs to feel integrated.

9. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I wanted to reply sooner to this thread, but forgot. ^^;

@RocketKnight: Thank you! I really like your dungeon, very spooky and the lighting is perfect.

@J0pac: Those maps are incredible! I'm just wondering if it's still easy to walk in the city map.

@mlogan: I like your updated map, looks better indeed! I just have a bit of a hard time discerning between the wall  tiles and floor tiles, as in I thought the wall tiles in the right part of the screenshot were floor ones.

@Sharm: Thank you! Your compliment made my day :D

@JDC: It is very spacious indeed. Try to shrink or fill it up with some stuff? I'm also wondering why there's a Japanese flag on the table. And the doors are much smaller than compared to the stairways entrances. I know there's taller doors included in DS+, so I'd think it would look better using those.

@Paladin: That map's amazing! I really like the jungle theme you're going with.

@lemongrass: I thought it looked fine but now that ksjp has mentioned the 'k' and 'n' I cannot unsee it. The 'i' still looks fine in my opinion

Edit: Woops, forgot to add my own map to it:

[​IMG]
    It's my first time mapping with DS tiles. And my entry for IGMC btw. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
    Vexed, Sharm and Chaos Avian like this.
  10. esby

esby eejit Veteran

[​IMG]

Earlyish WIP. Trying to get the aesthetic down for a western, thoughts?

11. hian

hian Biggest Boss Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    @esbie:

Really great work.

The feeling of the map is spot on.

The only thing I notice is that due to your lack of shadowing, the map(or rather the buildings) have

an unfortunate blend to it, so that which is supposed to stand out due difference in height, doesn't really do so.

Simply put, the buildings are merging with the ground =P

So, still working on my mystery project.

Finalizing the mechanics, and the HUD. I still haven't gotten around to fixing the graphical fidelity on the portrait though, but that's coming too.

[​IMG]

The tutorial map/dream world. Hopefully, I'll be able to release a game-mechanics test-demo once I'm done with this.

The map is a bit bare, but I can't clutter the map too much now, due to the fact that this is an action RPG with pretty mobile enemies =P

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
    slimmmeiske2 likes this.
  12. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks very interesting hian; can't wait to see more of this. I'm a bit sceptical to the overlayed letters; are they still images, or do they move? Either way, they're a bit distracting, but it might look more right ingame :)

I'm back to mapping again, working on my IGMC entry. I love making cozy towns with waterfalls and small rivers:

[​IMG]

SOC and slimmmeiske2 like this.
  13. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @esbie

Nice map, nice feel.  Other than the shadows which have been mentioned, I only have one question.  This all depends on what sort of town it is.  If it's a bit rough and tumble, as the gallows suggests, then I don't see big windows like the ones in the building on the left lasting very long.  And if that is a painting on an easel in one of these windows, that struck me as a bit odd - if it is the sort of town I think it is.

@Galenmereth

I am uneasy about the proportions of the various component parts of you water.  You have a very wide river flowing into a big lake.  But then you only have a small river leaving it, which seems a bit odd. That then flows into a second small lake with no exit, as far as I can see.  With that much water coming in and no way for it to get out, that town should be flooded.

Galenmereth likes this.
  14. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @esbie: It's not quite western enough to me, maybe because I actually live in that area of the world. The ranch houses would have the peaked roofs and expanded structures but the strip of town in that sort of place were different. They had flat roofs that had a taller section in the front to make the structure look more impressive, the buildings themselves were rectangular, and they all shared walls. The rail you've got was only for a place to tie up horses, most of the time it wasn't there and it wasn't ever on the sides. Gallows were always kept just outside of town and downwind because they wouldn't always bury the person right after the hanging.

mlogan likes this.
  15. hian

hian Biggest Boss Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Thanks for the feedback.The map is still a bit conceptual, so I haven]t really decided yet. I tried to have them moving at first, but that was really bizarre, and really hurt my eyes in the long run.

I still sorta like them though, and they do a lot for the map. When you take them away, suddenly everything feels really empty after you've gotten used to them.

Anyways, whether I drop them or not, they'll only be there for the first 5/10 minutes or so. IT]s supposed to be this bizarre mental space thingy anyways.

Anyways, raised the fidelity on the hud picture, and finished my message box. I know, I know, it's too much, but I'm on a roll creatively, and I'll probably tune everything down anyways, once my team starts hassling me about it.

[​IMG]

Finally I can move on to the menu system for a while.

Pink Peach likes this.
  16. Ruby

Ruby Of the Earth Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If they are only there for a short time, I kind of like them. But I don't think my brain could handle it if they were there for a longer period of time.

Here is my map. The only issue comes up when trying to add shadows because placement is a bit wonky. And I know grass doesn't grow on rocks and things, however, I figured since it was a 'magical' game, why can't I have magical seeds that make grass grow on these things? (And I don't have an idea of what else to put there!! Ideas?!)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
    GrandmaDeb likes this.
  17. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If you put a curb around the grass it becomes a garden area, it'd look more natural that way. That balcony area is crying out for a table with an umbrella or a set of park benches or something.

18. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Ruby

The thing that occurred to me is your stairs.  The side view stairs on the right clearly show that they are supported by a structure which allows them to stand away from the wall.  It looks good.  Your front view stairs at the bottom, however, are flat against the wall.  If they are the same as the other set of stairs, wouldn't they start further away?  i.e. the beginning should be at least one tile lower than the base of the wall.

I like Sharm's idea of a curb around the grass, and that would work very well with the larger areas of grass bottom and top left.  If you didn't want to do that with the small patch on the right, you might consider replacing it with plants in pots/containers of some description.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
    Ruby likes this.
  19. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the feedback on that; hadn't thought of that. I made another impromptu small waterfall (mmmmm waterfalls) and widened the river. Progress has been achieved in other areas too!

[​IMG]

20. TimmyTheNerd

TimmyTheNerd Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Took some advice and made some changes to the town. Saddly, no benches to be found.

Pink Peach and McP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.