Game & Map Screenshots 5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stridah

Stridah The People's Champion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    When ever i play a medieval video game, without question i ALWAYS notice the rug length!  

In all seriousness sometimes people on here get caught over stuff that is complete non-sense, next to no one is going to notice while playing a game if the rugs are time period specific size.  On that note someone could say hey the armor that sprite wears is not practical or time period specific the gauntlets are 14th century but the rest is 13th.  Who gives a sheep lol, if it looks great and plays great.

/End rant

2. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Um... not to get in the middle of what seems to be an interesting discussion.

Just wanted some feedback on the menu. made the changes suggested. so does it look better?

[​IMG]

RaZzi likes this.
  3. DeviTheHuman

DeviTheHuman (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Paladin - That looks much better. I liked the other font but it was difficult to distinguish the letters. I think the menu would look much better if you found a readable font that's similar to the last one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  4. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I looked for one in GIMP, where I'm making it, but Ii can't find one that works.

5. DeviTheHuman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Does GIMP let you install fonts from other places? If it does, there are tons of places where you can get free fonts, though you'll have to check the licensing if you're making a commercial game.

6. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't know... I'm not very good at this sort of thing. lol. I'll have to check that.

here's the inventory menu so far. (for comparrison purposes)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  7. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    About the rug thing: It's true that your world doesn't have to follow the same rules as reality, but it seems a bit hypocritical and internally inconsistent to have so many other things be exactly the way they actually did work in ye olden days and then throw it out the window just for the rugs. I mean, are the rugs being different going to be a plot point or are you going to explain in the game how they work in this world in contrast to our own? Then why are you doing them differently and annoying all the players who do care about that sort of thing?

Honestly, this is all about small details holding up the big differences. If you get the little tiny inconsequential things to make sense and be truthful to how things actually work it's much easier to get people to swallow the lie of things like an evil litch king with endless magic or whatever other crazy thing you've come up with. But if you get the little things wrong then it won't matter how well thought out and logical your magic system is, people just aren't going to believe you. Sure, most people don't actually know these things about how it all used to be, but most people are able to look at something like the rugs and go "huh, that looks wrong, but I don't know why." That's the sort of reaction you're trying to avoid.

You've gotten two people who are bugged by the rugs being different. That represents a much larger number of people who see it, are bothered and aren't saying anything. And that's just the people who look at the screencap here, what does that mean for the people who play your game? Not saying that you have to do everything people suggest here, but just realize that it's a representation of the reactions you're likely to get from your players. If you don't care about that and just want to do things your way then why are you posting here in the first place?

Celianna and Ksi like this.
  8. DeviTheHuman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Sharm - The rugs are just an example of a larger point I was trying to make, which is not every piece of feedback a person recieves is going to be relevant to the world they're trying to create. I understand Ksi's advice and I appreciate it. I'll take what she says and use what I feel is valuable. At the end of the day, developers have to do what makes sense for their games.

I think that people get caught up in a mindset where everything works a certain way and that's the only way it's will ever work EVER, and to say or do something against that is akin to blasphemy.

We are obviously looking at this from two different points of reference. I feel like you're saying I would be hypocritical and internally inconsistent to have a cow produce chocolate milk because chickens lay eggs and houses have roofs in my game. Just because windows let in light and candles glow yellow light doesn't mean the civilization I'm trying to build has to produce and value rugs just like they did in medieval times. The game is not even set on Earth.

Um, okay..? I don't know how to respond to this. I never said I didn't care. It's my game and I should be allowed to do things my way. I've also said several times that I appreciate the feedback I received and will probably incorporate some of the suggestions. My issue is it's weird that people get upset when a person doesn't do things the way they want the individual to do it. I'm sorry I offended you with my opinion that people should think for themselves.

I'm going to walk away from this thread for a few days. I didn't mean to start a flame war over rug placement!

9. Azurecyan

Azurecyan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @hian

The battle system looks interesting! I'd love to see where it goes :)

Here's some screenshots from my map. I feel like there are some things missing in it though...but I'm not exactly sure what it is...

full screenshot of the map

[​IMG]

some smaller close-up ones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ I know, I forgot to put a door. 

Pink Peach, SOC and McP like this.
  10. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @DeviTheHuman: I'm sorry, I didn't get that impression from what you were saying. I totally agree that you don't have to take all the advice given here. Usually people just don't say anything if they don't end up following the advice. I thought you were saying something more like "I don't agree with you and you're wrong for having a different opinion than me" which is why I made the "why are you posting here" comment. I'm not saying that you can't do something different with the rugs or the cows or whatever. My point was that it needed to be obviously on purpose or not done at all because it will end up being seen as a mistake. So if you're going to have your cows produce chocolate milk if all you do is have it come out brown it's going to be confusing to players and seem out of place. It won't be something that makes people go "oh, that's supposed to be chocolate" unless you point it out, especially if it's the only unusual element.

11. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    I'd also like to point out that I mentioned from a game-play pov that it makes sense for a runner because it draws the players eyes to the most important place in the room - that being the King. Not only that, but justifying not doing it right by saying 'maybe it doesn't apply to that world' is silly. Any writer and creator of worlds knows that everything MUST make sense. You create a magic system? It has to make sense within your world - and you need to actually provide explanation for how and why it works as it does, give it rules, else the reader/player will not believe. And if they do not believe then you fail to make that world real to them and thus ends part of their enjoyment. People tend to play games for escapism and making them think 'oh, those carpets are weird' without giving a reason for why they're like that drops the player from thinking about your game into thinking about carpets. The carpet is suddenly outshining your creation. Good job.

Seriously, though, take it or leave it, but a lot of good ideas were given about how to show opulence and prestige within the rules of Medieval history, which, with the placement of the throne and the room layout, I figured you were aiming for. After all, you took someone else's idea about said opulence and prestige to aid your claim for keeping the carpet so you seemed rather open to using the Medieval era to base your carpet on. How was I or anyone to know that you had crafted some amazing new carpet history in your game, even if it is quite logically unsound. I mean, honestly? Unless the King has super-hearing, is completely stupid or immortal, why wouldn't logic be used? Fantasy doesn't necessitate the removal of cerebral usage, after all (and if you think it does then I pity you).

12. DeviTheHuman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Sharm - I'm glad we've come to some sort of understanding.

@Ksi - I'm not going to respond to your post except to say everything you've said was also said by Sharm and I've already responded to all those points. But I will point this out since again it seems I've stepped on toes:

The End.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
    zachfoss likes this.
  13. Vinedrius

Vinedrius Member Title Veteran

First Language:
    Turkish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I havefinally decided on my project's title: The Legacy of the Carpet: Once Upon a Throne Room

14. Stridah

Stridah The People's Champion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    lmao vine!

15. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    here one of my screen shoot for my IGMC  entry it is nyar room but I don't have any kind of trust in me ...

[​IMG]

16. Skyfrid

Skyfrid Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I feel like this map is missing something, any suggestions?

[​IMG]

17. Ratty524

Ratty524 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You need to extend those roof tiles or something. Those houses look as if they've been sliced in half, rather than being contained into one unit.

18. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My first town map, something feels off to me but I can't put my finger on it. Also I used a lot of graphic only events, that wouldn't contribute to slow down later, would it?

Edit: Thanks for the picture help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
    Napoleon likes this.
  19. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To post a picture, click "More Reply Options" at the bottom.

Overall, I don't think it's bad for a first map. One thing I notice is that there is what appears to be a waterfall, which would imply height change of the land. Yet the land to the right of it stays flat. It's hard to tell though what exactly that is in the water (maybe just boulders?) since it is an event. Also, I get that you are trying to make a cemetery/creepy area up in the top right. But the dried/dead grass in only that area looks off. If there is a reason for it explained in the story, then that's fine. But cemetery's are capable of having green grass. :D

20. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was thinking the same thing about the waterfall. I'll try to think of another way to give the water a little life, because I think you're right.

And yeah, there is something wrong with the graveyard, people won't go near it anymore, that is why there are flowers right outside the graveyard. And the event going into the graveyard keeps the player from passing, not sure if I will get back to it or not, it was really just an excuse for me to experiment.

And actually it had green grass until recently, when I couldn't get a picture to post yesterday and had to leave anyway, I just put that off until today. And did some editing in the meantime.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.