Status
Not open for further replies.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Here's the thing that i'd hate to tell you, but it's a known fact.

This is a game. Not real life.

I don't know why, but almost every single person criticizes a game because it doesn't look realistic, or it doesn't look like anything normal from around here.

WHAT IF carpets in that world actually looked like that? Looked more creative? Pretty much nobody here is an architect. His map DOES NOT have to follow the rules of medieval architecture. "Carpets don't work like that". What if I told you that it's very possible to make carpets that look like that? Sure, it'd have to be a super huge carpet, and it'd take a lot of time, including the fact that nobody would really do it, but it's 100% possible.

Sorry, but it's called an imagination. A video game. Not Science on Earth.
I think the important thing is to create a self-consistent world.  You're right; it doesn't need to be a precise 1:1 match to reality.  After all, we certainly can't cast magic spells like characters often can in RPGs.  

Certainly, it's quite possible to make a world where, say, carpets are spun naturally by, say, magical Carpet Spiders, so they are cheap and readily available.  But I think it's important that anything which significantly deviates from reality has a reason.

To me, the goal is to make a fun game within a world which is self-consistent.  But, I need to be careful because we all have implicit assumptions about how things look and act.  Breaking those assumptions, without an excellent reason, can break the player's suspension of disbelief.  And that can ruin a player's fun.  So I try to avoid it.

lemongreen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thought I'd come in here and share a little of what I've worked on:

A bedroom design, plus messing around with different choice prompt styles and fonts (I think I like this font better than what I was using)

A very messy/damaged library; I'll probably keep messing with this because it doesn't quite look right yet, but for now it's okay.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@lemongreen

Cobwebs maybe?  There's been neglect enough for the curtains to fall apart and holes to appear in the floor, but everything else is so clean. 

lemongreen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, that's kind of why it's a work in progress; I'm messing with making some different bookshelves right now, though cobwebs are a good idea, too.

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Turning all of the white paper a yellowish shade would probably help, too.

Edit: Got around to removing that waterfall and trying to liven up the area with plants:

Was gonna start on another map an hour ago, but I had to spend 30 minutes fixing some events I botched. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Ralph: Try adding some patches of tall grass here and there, and spread out the flowers a bit more. Depending on what look you're going for, of course :) But unless nature is perfectly kept in place, it creeps in everywhere.

I'm starting to feel pretty done with the first forest zone now. All it lacks is a few monsters and such. The dark spots move relatively quickly, in two layers at slightly different angles, so they look like shadows from clouds overhead :)

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
If you are talking about the flowers in front of the graveyard then those are supposed to have been planted there. If it isn't getting the point across at a glance then it's not doing it job, though....

I took your advice on the tall grass, does look better, also added some other misc. plant life...and some fungus.

Also after clicking what I thought was an empty tile above the moss (which turns out is supposed to be soil) I started messing around with it, and it looks to me to be a pretty good tool to add a little depth to water (personally not fond of the 'deep water' tile).

Lucy Fox

Chosen Undead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Sooo.... my first screenshot here :unsure:
The final setup for my swamp maps. There are some dragonflies, a very small frog.
And the will-o'-the-wisps are particles : D

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
fox thats a nice job mate!

Arin

Some happiness we have to let go of.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Fraglspock
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I figured I might show off something for my next project.

Tell me what you think, and if I should take out that horrendous windowskin or not.

Omega Weapon

AKA Laura
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Charlotte: The windowskin is not that bad. Though the map could use some shift-clicking with the grass to make it go behind the house, if that is what you intended.

Kaelan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know... I'm not very good at this sort of thing. lol.
Whenever this happens, find a game that does it better and start by doing what they're doing.

To start you off: it looks like you're going for anime+modern/futuristic UI, so I'd look at Digital Devil Saga

Nicke

Fortune seeker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel like this map is missing something...

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The second screen in my little game.  It's supposed to be the inside of a futuristic lab:

screenshot.png

J0pac

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for late reply. :headshake:

Anyway Thx for all the good critics even though there were quite a lot of errors that I've noticed later on XD.

@Lucy Fox:Not much to say about this...most likely the best swamp map I've seen so far,keep up the good work.

@Charlotte:I'd definitely fix the grass to go behind the houses and I'd put some "short" grass tiles there to make it look more random.Also add some more details(anything just no more stumps)and don't place it next to each other or in the same lane, again to make it more random.No hard feelings ,I'm trying to help :guffaw:

@Nicke:Yeah I got the same feeling,but I really don't know how to help you XD.The map is just too small for more details.I'd leave it as it is.

Here's another screenie of my underground city-Burjaba.This time It's a small narco district. :p

Lucy Fox

Chosen Undead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Stridah:

@J0pac:

^///////^

Thank you.

The dungeon map is great! I like how it is full of details and not a single boring space is left. That's not often seen (^_^)b

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Charlotte: The windowskin is not that bad. Though the map could use some shift-clicking with the grass to make it go behind the house, if that is what you intended.
I was wondering if that could be done while I was making a map, didn't think about using shift click.

Thanks, works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

um... why didn't anyone tell how easy it is to add motions to Sideview battlers? I literally copied the last one, changed the name and index, said where it should play, and boom... I've got intro motions.
Lately when I listen to 1970s songs, I always think that the "real world" is still at mid 70s. What we experience now is a futuristic dream. With this point of view, even 80s and 90s looks super futuristic. :D

The GIF of this seemed too cool to bury in replies. :LZSwink:
You may have slept with my aunt... but, given the circumstances, cheers.

- Professor Ian Duncan, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuraudo123