Game & Map Screenshots 5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @RoggianX

I personally don't think you need to be considering parallax maps, at least not just at the moment.  What you might like to think about are lighting overlays which are very simple to do.

You can find some very good general advice in a section of this tutorial by Luchino, and an alternative approach in this tutorial by Busted Ed.  Luchino also has a tutorial about screen tints, with a selection of suggested tints for different types of maps which you can use as a basis for your own experimentation, but I can't, at the moment, find the link.  Lighting can make a huge impact to the visual quality of your maps, so I think it's worth investing some time in familiarizing yourself with these.

EDIT

I've now found Luchino's other lighting tutorial which includes the schedule of suggested tints.  You can find it here.  She refers to various scripts that you can use as well.  These are not essential, and I think it is helpful in the long term to learn how to do these without scripts so that you have a firm grasp of how the engine works.  You can also get some excellent effects without using scripts, some of which are a bit of a nightmare when it comes to compatibility and configuration.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
  2. Dimitris

Dimitris Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @shuji I'd say purlple especially if you have something important happening there. It catches the eye in contrast with the rest of the map.

3. Faye Valentine

Faye Valentine The Mapgician Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Shuji: BenBen Kaliban's resources huh? hehehe. I really like it a lot. Always loved that tileset, and you make a good use of it. I don't have any particular observation on this map, everything seems perfect.

And as for your questions, the purple one is better. As Sharm pointed out, it stands out better.

@RoggianX: do you have previous experience on RPG Maker? I can't believe that's your first map ever. If so, you got some talent.

4. RoggianX

RoggianX Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    @Ralpf

The whole wall thing... I think I've seen others use this sort of layout for wall.  I'm honestly not too fond of the backwall showing so that's why I opted for this approach.

As for the necklaces... yeah.  I needed something that made sense to place their and jewelry worked.  Too bad the RTP came with giant ones ; ^ ;...

@ksjp17

Thanks for pointing me to those tutorials!  I got some nice results from following Luchino's tutorials.  Well, I think they turned out pretty well but care to comment on the tints and overlays?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Credits: Woratana's Multiple Fog script.
    I'm going for a nice, warm, afternoon look with these.  Also, is there any way to take a "mapshot" with all the effects or there no current script that does this?

@Pink Guy

Uhh, nope.  No experience with RPG Maker.  However, I do have some artistic talent though.  Or so I've been told.

That being said, while I have enjoyed the past few days working on these maps, I'm really looking forward to making some facesets/portraits.  I plan on making some custom ones that I'll be putting out for public use and I hope they'll be some that you guys will like and love to use ^ u ^...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
    Nirwanda and Faye Valentine like this.
  5. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @RoggianX

Not bad, though I think you might like to consider more where shadows might fall given your light sources.

I don't know of a way of taking mapshots which include tinting etc. Tsukihime's doesn't, and I don't know if there are other scripts which do this.  What I end up doing sometimes is showing the map as it looks with mapshots and then adding an ingame screen shot to give an idea of what the player will see.  Here is an example of a post I made which does that.

6. RitoJS

RitoJS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    @RoggianX

Personally like those maps, good job.

For your question, a script like this exist. It was originally for VX then Yami (i think ? ) adapted it for Ace. It's called the Map Saver by Omegas7.

It can be a little buggy and take time to have the full map but the result is here.

[​IMG]

Chaos17 and Kes like this.
  7. RaZzi

RaZzi My Peculiar Brother Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
  8. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's right, I am Kira.
    [​IMG]
    It's all DS+ (with my edits). The background and the large window are made from scratch. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
  9. Evan Finkel

Evan Finkel Modeling Beholder Veteran

@Dalph It's really sexy and dark. <3

And here are some silly dialogues I recreated yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Dalf

Nice map.  The only thing I noticed is that the walls on the left have shadows, but the wall leading down to the exit, centre, doesn't.

However, and perhaps this is crystal clear in the game, I am left puzzled as to what that object is on the left wall, lowest point, below the cupboard and the object in the other corner next to it.  That second object is also over on the bottom right.  Just curious.

Dalph likes this.
  11. Ultimacj

Ultimacj Cookie Knight Veteran

First Language:
    Englist
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I can't help but wonder at Dalph's map if that's one of those situations that's done deliberately to throw off the player, based on ksp's analyzation reminds me of a D&D session: The DM put a signpost that simply stated "overthinking", we were stumped for about an hour just trying to figure out this signpost.  We've tried everything including the kitchen sink.  Eventually the DM said that was just there for cosmetic purposes and literately had nothing to do with anything,  let alone the story of the game.  We all gave the DM an evil eye of doom look and continued with the adventure.

Devilishly well done Dalph if this the effect you're trying to achieve.

@Evan well done portrait beats my talent of stick figures I can't draw worth crap.

Dalph likes this.
  12. Evan Finkel

Those busts are created by Makio, not me.

13. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Evan Finkel:
    Thanks a lot! Your maps look great too! And Maki's busts fit so well with Crazy_Leen's stuff, can't wait to play your game.

@ksjp17:
    You mean the box? If yes then it's just a box. I didn't add the boxes randomly though, now it's more clear why they are there.

I fixed the screenshot btw, thanks a lot for the feedback! I appreciate it!

@Ultimacj:
    It's awesome that you see it in that way, quite frankly I only wanted this effect:

[​IMG]
    I wanted everything in the room to look perfectly normal at first glance, until you will notice that reflection in the window.Light Yagami stares at the city (the world in his mind) and sees himself in that reflection as Kira (his evil alter ego).

This happens in Death Note pretty often. Thanks a lot for the nice comment btw.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
    Bukarett, Susan and Evan Finkel like this.
  14. Evan Finkel

Here's a clear view of Frostford mountains, what it'll look likes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ksi, Dalph and Susan like this.
  15. Shuji

Shuji Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Evan: I like those maps. I can't spot any mistake, well done^^

And here, is finally the full map. In the end I decided for the purple ones ( as many of you suggested )

[​IMG]

flirion, The Stranger, Shinma and 9 others like this.
  16. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Personally, I'm not a huge fan of how RM does darkness in tints, since it makes the map look under-saturated and also makes colours look weird. Especially black and grey. White has this problem, and your map is snowy white! I suggest something like putting a black (semi-transparent) screen over it, and emulating the darkness with that instead, rather than via tints.

EDIT: Whoops. You just got banned? Well, if you can still see this post...?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
  17. Ultimacj

Ultimacj Cookie Knight Veteran

First Language:
    Englist
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Using a combonation of Woratana's script & luchi's tutorial gave my old forest a new look.   Looks a heck of a lot better than previously.  (Fog moves in this picture slowly for the lighting effects).

(So much praise for this tutortal too bad maker doesn't have this prebuilt in if I would have known sooner..... lol)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also added the tint from tut suggestions, my eyes went 'whoa' when I saw the difference between the normal graphic use and the script execution. Using the default settings, which I may change, but I'm happy I got this working, the script was very picky.

18. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Ultimacj

These are coming along nicely.  However, I strongly recommend that you open up your fog graphics in GIMP (it's free), select Filters/Blur/Gaussian Blur and then try around 20 or 25 as the setting.  The reason for that is because your graphics have very hard edges, which isn't how fog or clouds look.  You might also want to lower your opacity in your fog setting, as the dark areas are maybe a bit too black.

EDIT

I think you might need a higher zoom - I can see the pattern repeat very clearly, and it looks like you have set it very small.  Taking the last one (easiest to see when I'm editing a post), the bottom light patch starts on the left edge, repeats just right of the tree and begins again on the right edge.  Whatever setting you have given it, make it twice as big, perhaps even 3 times bigger.

19. Mirpono

Mirpono But what do I know? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Map005.png

Trying out Leens tiles... Love 'em.

Susan and Candacis like this.
  20. Goatrider

Goatrider Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    About a week ago I posted some screens of my battle system. I got mixed feedback from it, some liked it while some found it to be too cluttered. I've decided to make 2 versions and would love to hear which one people like better.

The original version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And the new/not so cluttered version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Again please ignore the face graphics as they are just place holders. And also I'm in the process of changing the glove looking cursor to something more fitting.

RocketKnight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.