Game & Map Screenshots 6

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celianna, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Game & Map Screenshots 6

This thread is meant for showing off screenshots or maps made for your project, and to comment on or give advice to other members. Screenshots of any Maker is welcome. No other game engines are allowed.

In-game screenshots and maps only, please. If you're looking for feedback on your logo/sprites/faces etc. then please post in the WIP thread.

Previous threads:

Game & Map Screenshots 1

Game & Map Screenshots 2

Game & Map Screenshots 3

Game & Map Screenshots 4

Game & Map Screenshots 5

Please read and abide by these rules before posting and or commenting:

1. In-game screenshots, maps and videos of gameplay are all welcome. Trailers are also welcome. Walkthroughs and Let's Plays are not. They go here.

2. Please place your image in spoiler tags if it's any larger than 500x500. Ditto if you're posting a lot of images.

3. Do not quote screenshots, maps or videos in this thread. If you want to comment on someone's screenshot, please refer to them by their name (@membername), or keep the image in spoiler tags.

4. Please be civil and constructive when handing out feedback. Do not post things such as 'this sucks!'. Point out why a map doesn't look so good, and what they can do to improve it. If you want to compliment someone, point out what you think they did well.

5. Please refrain from re-posting your work, unless you've made some edits on it since the last time you posted it. If no one has commented on your work, and it has fallen behind by at least 2 pages, feel free to repost it then. You can re-post your screenshot if you posted in the last several pages of the previous thread.

6. Feel free to ask what tileset someone is using if you're interested, but keep off-topic chatter to a minimum.

Seal of gold screenshots:

As a bonus, I will pick out a few excellently made maps posted in this thread and give them a seal of gold and place their screenshot in this OP.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  2. Ultimacj

Ultimacj Cookie Knight Veteran

First Language:
    Englist
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The one thing this next project holds over vs my first project is detail, I like the RTP and I gave as much detail and some areas not as much detail as others but personally after using other tilesets felt like I cluttered them vs detailed them.  I've learned a lot, like you said and one thing I felt that was lacking was detail on some of the maps.  The new maps I've been making with the new tile sets that's one thing isn't mentioned anymore unlike before so I certainly feel accomplished.  I'm eventually coming up to one area in the next month give or take that I'm going to use the Halloween tile set because it's a spooky/dismal environment but at the same time cartoony like (that's my impression with the tile set at a glance haven't tinkered with it yet lol).  I'm hoping it doesn't clash with the DS tile set theme (since the MC is from the DS), have to see how it pans out; I plan on using Khas light effect along with tints of certain sections with it so it should pan out well (I hope lol)

Sorry I had to post this but as I hit the post button to reply boom lock out from thread #5, sorry no screenshot this time (I guess it's bad luck to go beyond 100 pages curse you clutterness! xD)

3. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Here's the only legit map I have, since I let peeps tear apart the other maps I had. (It's okay. I'm making them better.)

This is the outside to the grand castle. I pseudo-parallaxed by using events to create part of the castle, so it will appear in front of parts of itself and the surrounding bluffs.

The blank image there will be a parallaxed ocean background ingame. And yes, I know I forgot to put a royal standard on both sides.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
    mlogan and Knighteriius like this.
  4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
  5. Knighteriius

Knighteriius The Apple Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Really nicely done. :) Do we get to see the parallax in the background in game? Or is it just there because you don't know what else to put there? Maybe you could put some patches of grass around as well and some shrubs and things to make it look more real. Other than that a nice map to be sure! I love seeing how people use the default rtp.

Woah! that looks very flashy! So the player is Eric and Natalie I take it? The layout is pretty good. Does the attack change when on a different person, if it was on Eric it would have it near his sprite? If so then that's good. :) I honestly love the set up. The bar on the side that says the attack history thingy is a bit big and takes up a lot of the screen. Could it maybe me transparent? That'd be my only concern. :) Other than that! Great.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
    Saltwater Croc likes this.
  6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Yes, eric and natalie are the players.. I just don't have enemy sprites yet so to showcase the system I'm using the other actors for now (which is also why I didn't bother to change the names too)

Yes, the set-up right now is that the command window appears near the actor who is currently selection an action

It's not really an attack history, it's a list of what each battler will do on their next turns as well as the turn order itself. The battle system is a delayed-action CTB. So it's meant to be there, so far from my tests, that's the slimmest width I could go without shrinking the texts too much.

Knighteriius likes this.
  7. Knighteriius

Knighteriius The Apple Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh! I see. Well nevermind then. S'all good!

8. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I could still try to shrink with lowering the font size, though right now I see no need since I don't seem to need that much space in the battle screen anyway... I might still add some more bars etc (like when I get to port my Command Drive system to work with my battle system) so I'll adjust it on the fly. XD

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
  9. esby

esby eejit Veteran

@Oceaniqo - I don't think the roof tiles work very well, have you tried using the flat autotile?

@Engr - Do you plan on changing the windowskin to one that matches the battle images, it's the only thing that sticks out right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ruby, DaveyAlpaca, mlogan and 4 others like this.
  10. Saltwater Croc

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Esbie: No, I have not! I'll definitely look into it though and see if I like how it looks any better.

Also in your first screenshot, Some of the outside edges of your cliffs are round and some of them are very sharp and pointy. That looks a bit strange. You have any way of fixing that?

Another note: The entrance going IN to the mine is square but what I assume is the EXIT, FROM INSIDE is round.  I personally think they'd look better if they matched up.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
  11. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @esbie - yeah, after I'm finished with the system itself...

12. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I made the changes to this map that people suggested.

[​IMG]

seita likes this.
  13. GRIMMJOW

GRIMMJOW Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    cutscene - between worlds.jpg foresthouse - between worlds.jpg forest - between worlds.jpg military camp - between worlds.jpg

some screens from my game I am currently working on.

14. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Edit. Nevermind, the post got through it seems.

15. Tarsus

Tarsus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @oceaniqo. The red roof tiles clash quite badly with grey stone walls. Perhaps edit them to a darker colour or use grey tiles. The biggest thing to me is the castle placement. It's clearly a palace type rather than defensive, but typically they would be built on top of the cliffs not within them.

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko. That's looking better and better every time I see it. I would also have to say that the turn order window is a bit big, perhaps making the black window background semi transparent it might look less intrusive.

@esbie. That's a really nice style of graphics, simple but very nice to look at. Are you going to use colours other than yellow and green? Maybe in town maps.

@mister big t. That is a huge screen size. It looks tons better from your previous maps, not as open and empty, but the size of the screen just overpowers your tiny character sprites.

@Grimmjow. Nice maps, I like the forest ones.

GRIMMJOW likes this.
  16. esby

esby eejit Veteran

@Oceanigo - I can make an edit to the sharp cliff tops easily enough but it's how they were in the tileset, it's a big issue with VXAce in general. The entrance is at the bottom and you walk up.
    @BigT - It's getting better, I still think it would benefit from different levels in height to make the map more dynamic.
    @Grimmjow - There's a couple mapping errors to on the cliff the right of the waterfall, but they're just a matter of shift clicking. I like your camp map.
    @Tarsus - I'm using the Old School Modern packs, to make a not modern game  :unsure:   I'm actually thinking about changing the tree colour to the orange/brown cause I think the green stands out a little too much and I kinda like just having the earthy tones, I think it works well with the westen feel. There's blue in the tileset but it's mainly used for modern objects so it doesn't feature a lot in my game. Town Maps are largely the same colour scheme.

Here's a bigger map, really need to finish the rail tracks :(
    [​IMG]

17. Saltwater Croc

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tarsus

... That's a brilliant suggestion. For a large structure, personally the flat roofing is kinda ewww looking, but I had never thought to edit the RED roof tiles to a different color! I'll put that on the top of my to-do list!!

I know the map doesn't give it away but the castle itself is in fact more of a palace-type deal, and even though there are cliffs to the side, it's built on an even larger cliff overlooking the ocean.  As I gain more experience in mapping (Collectively, I've been mapping for less than ONE MONTH! SO embarrassing. X____X ) I will use tips and tricks I learn from everyone to make it even better, possibly change the map in general.

@Esbie. Ah! My mistake.

18. KaYsEr

KaYsEr Koruldia Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm working on a city that is my personal tribute to Final Fantasy 6. (among many others)

[​IMG] 

@Celianna I think you forgot to change the title at the beginning of the topic ;) it's still "Game & Map Screenshots 5" instead of 6.

muramasa, BCj, Bukarett and 7 others like this.
  19. Tarsus

Tarsus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @esbie. Yes I think they would look better with a brown/yellow tone to them. Not too much, just slightly, like the grey stone walls in your jail map.

@oceaniqo. Adding sloped roofs to big buildings is always hard, you either make them look way too tall or have horrible flat areas. Try replacing that white stuff with wood planks or stone flooring, and you can add patrolling guards up on top. With that done the red tiles might not look too bad.

20. Myst88

Myst88 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @KaYsEr: Wow..... looking pretty good so far. Bit empty though. How about adding some grass? And since it's some ruins some debris?

Forest I'm currently finishing up. Any more suggestion on improving it are welcome. :D

[​IMG]

And this is one of the beginning scenes. It's a forbidden library, but I'm not really sure what else to add to the map.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.